Is it a good uni? (1 Viewer)

maths94

HSC
Basically to all the students who currently or did attend Macquarie University, was it good/bad? Because just incase l get an ATAR below 80 l would much rather go to macquarie university then UWS.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Basically to all the students who currently or did attend Macquarie University, was it good/bad? Because just incase l get an ATAR below 80 l would much rather go to macquarie university then UWS.
I've heard some pretty decent things about Macq (especially for actuarial studies/maths) - if you get it there and UWS is your only other option, go for it!

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I've heard some pretty decent things about Macq (especially for actuarial studies/maths) - if you get it there and UWS is your only other option, go for it!
ANU, USyd, UNSW are heaps better for undergraduate maths. MQ has the best undergraduate actuarial though.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
To the OP: Please define "good" and "bad" so we can validate/refute your post. I also see from your signature you would like to study engineering. Note that Macquarie University (to the best of my knowledge, don't quote me on this; check the handbook at www.handbook.mq.edu.au) does not offer "traditional" engineering streams such as civil and electrical, but i've heard is a leader in electronic (not to be confused with electrical) engineering and also offers computer engineering degrees.

To Studentleader, please define "better" with regards to mathematics (undergraduate) study when making such claims. Also, best actuarial program would be subjective and once again dependent on your definition of "best" (especially since all actuarial programs technically speaking have the same content). It is certainly the first university to offer actuarial studies as a degree in the English-speaking world, if that is relevant.

Last edited:

Ziva

Banned
HSC
To the OP: Please define "good" and "bad" so we can validate/refute your post. I also see from your signature you would like to study engineering. Note that Macquarie University (to the best of my knowledge, don't quote me on this; check the handbook at www.handbook.mq.edu.au) does not offer "traditional" engineering streams such as civil and electrical, but i've heard is a leader in electronic (not to be confused with electrical) engineering and also offers computer engineering degrees.

To Studentleader, please define "better" with regards to mathematics (undergraduate) study when making such claims. Also, best actuarial program would be subjective and once again dependent on your definition of "best" (especially since all actuarial programs technically speaking have the same content). It is certainly the first university to offer actuarial studies as a degree in the English-speaking world, if that is relevant.
Mate you sound like an academic.

Sure the words good and best are arbitrary, but there's no need to get all hansy pansy on the post.

Generally, UNSW, USYD and ANU are "better" academic institutions. Some better than others in differing areas.

In saying this, going to Macquarie University has not held me back in going for typically Go8 "men club" jobs. Sure some firms may discriminate a little, but if you are a well rounded high achiever, you will get past the screening phase at even the most selective corporations.

I had the UAI to attend any institution I wanted for the course I wanted (econ/commerce). It definitely hasn't inhibited my employment prospects/future earnings.

red-butterfly

HSC

Sure the words good and best are arbitrary, but there's no need to get all hansy pansy on the post.

Generally, UNSW, USYD and ANU are "better" academic institutions. Some better than others in differing areas.

In saying this, going to Macquarie University has not held me back in going for typically Go8 "men club" jobs. Sure some firms may discriminate a little, but if you are a well rounded high achiever, you will get past the screening phase at even the most selective corporations.

I had the UAI to attend any institution I wanted for the course I wanted (econ/commerce). It definitely hasn't inhibited my employment prospects/future earnings.
+1

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Just curious as to what the OP would consider "better". I mean some people use the word to reflect different factors, which may include:

*quality of lecturers
*variety of courses on offer
*flexibility of timetabling
*transport options (number of parking spaces, how close it is to public transport, etc.) and travel time
*research strengths
*size of the course one is interested in
*class sizes
*the email service provided to students (i just saw the thread in the UTS forum of students complaining about the new UTS email system)
*the course structure/ flexibility of courses
*the ATAR required for a particular course at the institution (Some people may be inclined to go to a university with a higher ATAR requirement)
*the employment prospects of alumni of the course one is interested in
*whether or not family members have attended the university (some children may like to go to the same university as one of their parents/siblings, continuing on some sort of tradition)
*internal transfer policies

The list goes on well beyond this.

To Ziva, well when asked the question "Is Macquarie University a good university?" I'm not sure how to answer that without some clarification and context. But that's just me. Feel free to answer the question yourself with the information provided.

I'll just add one point to consider: would any university (in Australia) exist and operate if it didn't deliver some degree of quality education?

Monstar

HSC

What Ziva said. I got mates at some nice IBs, typically you need to really extend yourself further than the kids at the other unis. With that being said, you need to know what you want to do on the early on so you have the motivation and the drive to study hard and get relevant work experience as relevant work experience> marks.

Good luck.

btw ziva, hows AMURRICA? did you manage get any pussy? more importantly, did you manage to get an internship?

merillem

HSC
I won't get into the debate going on.

I studied at Macquarie (BSc and a BA) and had a good experience. Classes were good, services were good, people were good. If rankings matter to you then it's a solid upper-middle tier uni - I've never been overlooked for anything because I didn't go to a Go8 (which, to make a point, is as much about good marketing as good universities). Uni is what you make of it anyway - if you're pro-active you'll do well in any university and well once you leave.

Ziva

Banned
HSC
What Ziva said. I got mates at some nice IBs, typically you need to really extend yourself further than the kids at the other unis. With that being said, you need to know what you want to do on the early on so you have the motivation and the drive to study hard and get relevant work experience as relevant work experience> marks.

Good luck.

btw ziva, hows AMURRICA? did you manage get any pussy? more importantly, did you manage to get an internship?
america was swell, I land back in sydney on new years eve

I have a couple internships lined up - one in Beijing over the semester break (june/july)!

I even have a job offer in Toronto with amazing perks for when I graduate

ugh I'm also so unsure of whether I should do my econ hons or just work and make $$ then do my MBA

note: I somehow managed to 4.0 all my american classes without studying a minute for any of them. Hell, I even got some prize for topping a 400 level econ class lol. I did the final exam still half cut. American college = a joke at undergrad

Last edited:

Monstar

HSC
america was swell, I land back in sydney on new years eve

I have a couple internships lined up - one in Beijing over the semester break (june/july)!

I even have a job offer in Toronto with amazing perks for when I graduate

ugh I'm also so unsure of whether I should do my econ hons or just work and make $$ then do my MBA

note: I somehow managed to 4.0 all my american classes without studying a minute for any of them. Hell, I even got some prize for topping a 400 level econ class lol. I did the final exam still half cut. American college = a joke at undergrad
Nice. Thats what I hear from alot of people; overseas study turns out to be a joke.

What kinda jerb did they offer you in toronto? banking/consulting ?

My mate is doing hons next year except i think in finance. IMO it seems like a good addition but man its not worth it for you- you could easily get a job.

X

xeuyrawp

At which college? I assume it was exchange and so one of the ones Macquarie is partnered with?

Ziva

Banned
HSC
Nice. Thats what I hear from alot of people; overseas study turns out to be a joke.

What kinda jerb did they offer you in toronto? banking/consulting ?

My mate is doing hons next year except i think in finance. IMO it seems like a good addition but man its not worth it for you- you could easily get a job.
I still dont even know what I want to do. IB, MC, a general management job - I have no idea. I dont want to be become an economist but econ hons might give me another year to decide, and maybe open more doors.

Yeah its a mid sized consulting firm.

PwarYuex, I went to Michigan State. A decent university - and a tier 1 MBA business school. I was my "gap" year, so I went for the social aspect/sports.

Undergrad business or econ at even the ivy league colleges doesnt really differ that much. I looked at all their notes - horribly easy. Postgrad on the other hand.

sean1990

HSC
short answer- Yes it is a good uni.

Long answer-
I went to UWS parra, my time there was ...okay. Upon transfering to MQ, i instantly felt like I was studying at a more respectable university. It may have been a placebo effect, however it is in a whole other league to UWS, for example, the library is actually for the most part;quiet, and there are people studying for the entire day until 10pm at night, whereas UWS was just a shitfight most of the time to find somewhere quiet where groups of ..... wouldn't walk past acting like sick ...... .

I have left the above areas blank for you to add your own words.

In saying that, UWS did have some good prospects, possibly better than MQ in some areas. The academics were just as good if not alot better in some areas, some administration and online help was FAR better at UWS and I think their online resources were easier to access and possibly better than MQ. UWS was proud to have the second largest 'online' legal library in Australia, behind ANU, but above Sydney.

The environment at MQ is great, alot of asians but you get that at most universities and if that would annoy you then dont go to Macquarie. Lecture theatres and rooms are okay, not as new as UWS parra but still good enough.

The best thing about MQ in my opinion will be the new library which is MUCH needed opening in 2011. It is in my opinion a perfect time to begin a course at MQ and I think it will return MQ to its previous status of being a top university in Australia if not the world (it begun to take a downward slope over the past few years).

Either way, I think USYD and UNSW are in a league of their own, and UTS and MQ are quite equal. ANU is good but you'd prob have to live in Canberra, and if you can do that go for it, but its a boring place with only 1 decent event a year ; Summernats.

MQ is at USYD and UNSW's tails, UTS is only getting better as well being a desired university in the heart of the city. These 4 universities are all excellent and I doubt if your marks were good enough you'd be disadvantaged for going to any of them.

Go to 1 of these 4 univerisities because you like the environment and the people, it can make a bigger difference in the long run then just prestige.

rebeccalbanks

HSC
I've been there for a year and I've enjoyed it. It's pretty relaxed and come on, it has a lake. Doesn't that just make you want to get a RC boat, take it for a spin on the lake and sing the theme from The Love Boat?

I didn't want to go to MQ at first. I wanted to do education at USYD but MQ was just what I got into. It worked out for the best in the end, I decided to drop education and change to a BA Hons. Ancient History.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)