Page 107 of 107 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107
Results 2,651 to 2,665 of 2665
Like Tree616Likes

Thread: MQ Chatter Thread

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: MQ Chatter Thread

SES survey is hitting email boxes, so I recommend checking it out and filling it in. You may even win some prizes (pretty decent).
    pikachu975 and Snowflek like this.
    ‘Accountants certified Enron’s fraud;
    Strategy discourse made it credible' - Whittington et al, 2003

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

HSC

Hey guys, i have a fee 'Fee for Second Half Year' which is like $150. How can i put it in my hecs or whatever it is?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflek View Post
    Hey guys, i have a fee 'Fee for Second Half Year' which is like $150. How can i put it in my hecs or whatever it is?
    Fill out SA-HELP form!
    Snowflek likes this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC
    Uni Grad

"Changes to the Student Parking offer will change from 1 October 2018
    After student parking permits expire at the end of September this year, a new pay-by-app parking system will be introduced for the student population to use at Macquarie University. More details will follow announcing how to use the system, benefits for students and FAQs - stay tuned. If you have any questions please contact campusdevelopment@mq.edu.au."

https://www.mq.edu.au/about/contacts...U3duUzArIn0%3D

HSC

Hi, not sure if anyone can help me out here, but I'm having a hard time choosing between Commerce, Economics, Applied Finance, Business Analytics or Business Administration. I'm looking for an overall versatile degree (no matter what the major). Any suggestions or any information about their differences is appreciated.

I've looked at the unit guides for all and I'm still not too sure.

Thanks
    Prelim 2017
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Physics ~ Music 2 ~ Legal Studies ~ Financial Services (AA)
    HSC 2017
    Mathematics
    HSC 2018
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Mathematics Extension 2 ~ Music 2 ~ Financial Services (AA)
    Course 2020
    Advanced Science (Maths)/Applied Finance @ MQ

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    Hi, not sure if anyone can help me out here, but I'm having a hard time choosing between Commerce, Economics, Applied Finance, Business Analytics or Business Administration. I'm looking for an overall versatile degree (no matter what the major). Any suggestions or any information about their differences is appreciated.

I've looked at the unit guides for all and I'm still not too sure.

Thanks
    Business Administration is probably the "broadest" degree option of the one that you have listed with subjects in forecasting, management, HR, Marketing and information systems.

I presume you mean handbook? as the unit guide justs cover information pertaining to subjects that can be taken at university.

What are you aiming to do longer term? Looking for employability? Another option potentially is to do a double degree.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    Business Administration is probably the "broadest" degree option of the one that you have listed with subjects in forecasting, management, HR, Marketing and information systems.

I presume you mean handbook? as the unit guide justs cover information pertaining to subjects that can be taken at university.

What are you aiming to do longer term? Looking for employability? Another option potentially is to do a double degree.
    Thank you for your reply

I find that the handbook is a bit vague in its explanation of the units (Idk maybe this is just me) and I like seeing the delivery schedule and resources for each unit to get a better feel for the content.

Employability is probably my priority. I don't really know what I specifically want to do. I've finished a Cert 3 Tafe Course in Accounting, and want to take a gap year and finish off my diploma/adv diploma, so for variety's sake, it might be nice to not do something SO accounting focused at uni (economics is ok tho).

Yeah I'd love to do a double degree (both business related), but I'm look at accepting my early entry to Advanced Science (Maths) and then turning it into a concurrent degree.

Based on this, do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks
    Prelim 2017
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Physics ~ Music 2 ~ Legal Studies ~ Financial Services (AA)
    HSC 2017
    Mathematics
    HSC 2018
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Mathematics Extension 2 ~ Music 2 ~ Financial Services (AA)
    Course 2020
    Advanced Science (Maths)/Applied Finance @ MQ

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    Thank you for your reply

I find that the handbook is a bit vague in its explanation of the units (Idk maybe this is just me) and I like seeing the delivery schedule and resources for each unit to get a better feel for the content.

Employability is probably my priority. I don't really know what I specifically want to do. I've finished a Cert 3 Tafe Course in Accounting, and want to take a gap year and finish off my diploma/adv diploma, so for variety's sake, it might be nice to not do something SO accounting focused at uni (economics is ok tho).

Yeah I'd love to do a double degree (both business related), but I'm look at accepting my early entry to Advanced Science (Maths) and then turning it into a concurrent degree.

Based on this, do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks
    How about trying out Actuarial Studies? You seem to have a strong maths base and a degree in Actuarial or even Actuarial/Applied Finance would provide you with so many opportunities to make a lot of money in banking/trading.

2016 ATAR: >90
    2017-2020: Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) @ Mq Uni

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Zoinked View Post
    How about trying out Actuarial Studies? You seem to have a strong maths base and a degree in Actuarial or even Actuarial/Applied Finance would provide you with so many opportunities to make a lot of money in banking/trading.
    Actuarial is good and is well-recognised at Macquarie. However if you want a degree of competitiveness in the job market you really need to get a d average with all your exemptions plus ecs. To be honest, I wouldn't suggest doing a double degree with Actuarial unless you intended to pursue the the associate or fellow qualification. You'll also find the actuarial units are non-comparable to other units (from my experience so far). The lecturers are very good, the content difficult and often abstract in both principle and assessment i.e. ACST212 and their is a large emphasis on examinations particularly taking into account negative marking.

The general philosphy is "When you work as an actuary or in any other profession, if you have a dangerous misunderstanding of a concept you may provide incorrect advice to a client, possibly with severe financial consequences for your client and yourself. However, if you realise that you don’t understand a concept you may refrain from giving advice on it until you have filled the gaps in your knowledge. That is, dangerous misunderstandings have more serious consequences than a recognised lack of knowledge.

The grading philosophy and marking scales adopted in this unit (and in many other university units) reflect this situation. Correct relevant statements earn marks. Statements revealing dangerous misunderstandings result in the deduction of marks. If your answers reveal that your misunderstandings are very severe or numerous, you might earn a negative mark for a question. If a part of a question is worth x marks, the smallest mark you can be allocated for that part is –x marks.

As an example, a minor error when keying numbers into your calculator is not usually regarded as a dangerous error provided the resulting incorrect answer is plausible. However, if a calculator error results in an obviously unreasonable answer, such as a probability outside the range 0 to 1, or an expected value outside the range of possible outcomes for the random variable, and you fail to state that you realise this answer is unreasonable, this would be regarded as a dangerous misunderstanding."

In saying that, it's very rewarding and the staff and cohort are very supportive and want you to succeed. More than happy to provide more info if need be.
    Last edited by BenHowe; 12 Aug 2018 at 7:52 PM.
    2nd Year Applied Finance/Actuarial Studies @ MQ
    GPA 6.77 WAM 87%
    Part 1's: CT1,CT2, 1/2 CT3,CT7

HSC
    Uni Grad

Tomorrow if you haven't already got a Linkedin photography, MPS is running a fundraising exercise whereby you pay a few dollars and get a headshot (with editing) that you can use.

HSC
    Uni Grad

How's everyone coping so far?

Any goals this semester?

HSC
    Uni Grad

Does anyone know if you can watch an "live" lecture at home if you haven't enrolled to do so?

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Yep you can, just click on the echo or whatever link is in iLearn just before its about to go 'live' - or anytime while lecture in progress.
    BLIT2014 likes this.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by weaknuclearforce View Post
    Yep you can, just click on the echo or whatever link is in iLearn just before its about to go 'live' - or anytime while lecture in progress.
    Thanks

HSC
    Uni Grad

Macquarie Open day is today from 10-4pm!

Thread Information