Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 2071
Like Tree344Likes

Thread: MQ Chatter Thread

  1. #51
    Tired Member -may-cat-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,491
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    No difference, at uni 'subjects' are called units.

    Doctor
    : I'm afraid your son has the knack.

    Dilmom: The knack?
    Doctor: The knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical and other social ineptitude.
    Dilmom: (worried) Can he lead a normal life?
    Doctor: No. He'll be an engineer.
    Dilmom: (crying) Oh No!



  2. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rayy_bann View Post
    Ohhh waitttt!!! sorry....what's the difference between a subject and unit??? D:
    essentially two ways of saying the same thing. So for example, some people say they did the subject ACST101, or they could say i did the unit ACST101, two ways to say the same thing.
    Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)/Bachelor of Laws @ Macquarie University

    Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice @ ANU

    Masters of Law @ ANU

  3. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    393
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Alrightey thanks guys!

    And thanks -may-cat- for the form, I wasn't aware of that..i don't think

  4. #54
    Tired Member -may-cat-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,491
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Have you seen this page? http://www.student.mq.edu.au/enrol/undergrad.htm#step1
    It takes you through what you need to be doing to prepare for enrolment.

    And no worries, i'm sick at home today so it's nice to feel useful.

    Doctor
    : I'm afraid your son has the knack.

    Dilmom: The knack?
    Doctor: The knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical and other social ineptitude.
    Dilmom: (worried) Can he lead a normal life?
    Doctor: No. He'll be an engineer.
    Dilmom: (crying) Oh No!



  5. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    393
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    hey I'm back!...lol

    Um just wondering If I choose a Finance major in my commerce degree, will I be able to change my major in my 2nd year if I wish to do so?

    considering major study generally begins during 2nd year (and that I'm doing a combined degree with law)

  6. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    393
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -may-cat- View Post
    Have you seen this page? http://www.student.mq.edu.au/enrol/undergrad.htm#step1
    It takes you through what you need to be doing to prepare for enrolment.

    And no worries, i'm sick at home today so it's nice to feel useful.

    Oh yes I seen that page! I've actually already finished step 1. Then step 2 came and started asking me about majors and such which lead me to think "hey, I don't even know what major I'm choosing let alone my timetable for all my subjects" LOL and now I'm here haha

  7. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rayy_bann View Post
    hey I'm back!...lol

    Um just wondering If I choose a Finance major in my commerce degree, will I be able to change my major in my 2nd year if I wish to do so?

    considering major study generally begins during 2nd year (and that I'm doing a combined degree with law)
    Yep you can change it in your 2nd year if you choose to do so. Thats why when you do the core commerce subjects in the first yr you get a feel of the different majors through the first yr units, however accounting for example in first yr isnt indicative to second and 3rd yr since it gets much better.
    Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)/Bachelor of Laws @ Macquarie University

    Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice @ ANU

    Masters of Law @ ANU

  8. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    393
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ameher View Post
    Yep you can change it in your 2nd year if you choose to do so. Thats why when you do the core commerce subjects in the first yr you get a feel of the different majors through the first yr units, however accounting for example in first yr isnt indicative to second and 3rd yr since it gets much better.
    Yeah I'm leaning towards Accounting as my major. However, I know finance is good too! But Economics was my lowest subject in the HSC and I heard finance is linked strongly with Economics? --"

    How is accounting like? Does it involve simple mathematics? If so I'm ok with that. I never ever ever want to see Extension maths related stuff lol

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rayy_bann View Post
    Yeah I'm leaning towards Accounting as my major. However, I know finance is good too! But Economics was my lowest subject in the HSC and I heard finance is linked strongly with Economics? --"

    How is accounting like? Does it involve simple mathematics? If so I'm ok with that. I never ever ever want to see Extension maths related stuff lol
    Yep its simple mathematics, its pretty interesting stuff, alot of understanding regarding business strategy, and business planning. But yer, really dependent on what career path you want to go down in the future. I chose accounting cause i loved learning about business strategy, management and budgeting, but yes the MQ accounting school is one of the largest in Aus, and has great lecturers.
    Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)/Bachelor of Laws @ Macquarie University

    Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice @ ANU

    Masters of Law @ ANU

  10. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    393
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ameher View Post
    Yep its simple mathematics, its pretty interesting stuff, alot of understanding regarding business strategy, and business planning. But yer, really dependent on what career path you want to go down in the future. I chose accounting cause i loved learning about business strategy, management and budgeting, but yes the MQ accounting school is one of the largest in Aus, and has great lecturers.
    hmm alright! I'll take your word for it! thanks

  11. #61
    Senior Member LonelyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,030
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ameher View Post
    Yep you can change it in your 2nd year if you choose to do so. Thats why when you do the core commerce subjects in the first yr you get a feel of the different majors through the first yr units, however accounting for example in first yr isnt indicative to second and 3rd yr since it gets much better.
    So, we choose our majors in the first year - but we never do them in the first year? Every single person does the core subjects the first year?

    Also, is a GPA of 3 difficult to get?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    Umm, I told Riproot and effy to get a room. In a Scottish accent.

  12. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LonelyWolf View Post
    So, we choose our majors in the first year - but we never do them in the first year? Every single person does the core subjects the first year?

    Also, is a GPA of 3 difficult to get?
    Well it depends on what major you pick. if you pick accounting, then after passing accounting 1A in the first semester, you will do accounting 1B in the second semester which is only for people doing the accounting major. And yes everyone doing b commerce does the core subjects in the first year.

    Um GPA of 3 is a credit average at mq, as GPA is out of 4 at mq. It's not that hard i dont think if you attend tutorials/lectures, and work consistently you should be easily able to maintain a GPA of 3, but then again thats dependent on the student and the subjects you pick.
    Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)/Bachelor of Laws @ Macquarie University

    Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice @ ANU

    Masters of Law @ ANU

  13. #63
    Senior Member LonelyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,030
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ameher View Post
    Well it depends on what major you pick. if you pick accounting, then after passing accounting 1A in the first semester, you will do accounting 1B in the second semester which is only for people doing the accounting major. And yes everyone doing b commerce does the core subjects in the first year.

    Um GPA of 3 is a credit average at mq, as GPA is out of 4 at mq. It's not that hard i dont think if you attend tutorials/lectures, and work consistently you should be easily able to maintain a GPA of 3, but then again thats dependent on the student and the subjects you pick.
    Ahk. So we do start majors first year. A couple more questions:

    1. Is it possible to transfer the first semester at macq?

    2. Say I wanted to transfer from Arts to Commerce.


    B of Commerce - International Business Major:

    Accounting IA (3)

    Accounting Information for Decision-Making (3)

    Microeconomic Principles (3)

    Marketing Fundamentals (3)

    Introductory Statistics (3)

    Statistical Data Analysis (3)

    Design and Statistics I (3)

    Introduction to International Business (3)


    International Business Operations (3)

    Global Marketing (3)

    International Business Project (3)

    Business Policy (3)

    Global Business, Society and Environment (3)

    Asian Business Environment (3)

    Cross Cultural Management (3)

    B of Arts - International Business Major:

    Accounting IA (3)

    Accounting Information for Decision-Making (3)

    Microeconomic Principles (3)

    Marketing Fundamentals (3)

    Introductory Statistics (3)

    Statistical Data Analysis (3)

    Design and Statistics I (3)

    Introduction to Global Business (3)

    International Business Operations (3)

    Global Marketing (3)

    International Business Project (3)

    Global Business Strategy (3)

    Global Business, Society and Environment (3)

    Asian Business Environment (3)

    Cross Cultural Management (3)

    ----

    Some of the subjects are different, would that mean it is not possible to get the credit transfer? Or would they 'overlook' it seeing the near whole of the Majors are the exact same?

    I noticed that differences in the same Major subjects are exactly like the example above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    Umm, I told Riproot and effy to get a room. In a Scottish accent.

  14. #64
    New Member sebking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    I seemed to have found a problem with my timetable here...

    Advanced Physics 1 [PHYS188] has Workshop_1 on exactly the same time as Lecture_2 for Introductory Astronomy [ASTR170] - this clash is during session 1. As neither of these events have a repeat during the week will I have to drop one of the units?

    Considering I am doing an advanced bachelor of science and want to major in astrophysics I want to do both.
    Macquarie University: Adv. Bachelor of Science - Astronomy/Astrophysics
    2011 Atar: 99.20

  15. #65
    Tired Member -may-cat-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,491
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sebking View Post
    I seemed to have found a problem with my timetable here...

    Advanced Physics 1 [PHYS188] has Workshop_1 on exactly the same time as Lecture_2 for Introductory Astronomy [ASTR170] - this clash is during session 1. As neither of these events have a repeat during the week will I have to drop one of the units?

    Considering I am doing an advanced bachelor of science and want to major in astrophysics I want to do both.
    You could e-mail the course convener for ASTR170 and see if it uses i-lecture, if it does you could go to your PHYS188 workshop and just listen to the missed ASTR170 lecture later.

    Doctor
    : I'm afraid your son has the knack.

    Dilmom: The knack?
    Doctor: The knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical and other social ineptitude.
    Dilmom: (worried) Can he lead a normal life?
    Doctor: No. He'll be an engineer.
    Dilmom: (crying) Oh No!



  16. #66
    Junior Member MrBean1561's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    HSC
    2009
    Uni Grad
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sebking View Post
    I seemed to have found a problem with my timetable here...

    Advanced Physics 1 [PHYS188] has Workshop_1 on exactly the same time as Lecture_2 for Introductory Astronomy [ASTR170] - this clash is during session 1. As neither of these events have a repeat during the week will I have to drop one of the units?

    Considering I am doing an advanced bachelor of science and want to major in astrophysics I want to do both.
    I would email the staff contact(s) for those 2 units to find out if any more lecture streams or workshops will open up for Session 1. If there are no other class repeats, and this will most likely be due to the number of students enrolled, I guess you could just swap a unit from Session 2 with one of these so there is no clash.

    EDIT: ah may-cat baet me to it :P but yea you could follow her suggestion as well. I just find it easier to go to the lecture itself instead of i-lecturing it (harder to concentrate imo).
    Last edited by MrBean1561; 20 Jan 2012 at 1:46 PM.

  17. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    393
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Hey guys, sorry for my ignorance. I'm currently registering for enrolment on Macquarie's website and confused as to what I am 'classified as'. Can someone please help me?

    As I said earleir, I am a first year Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Laws student, am I classified as:

    -SIBT student
    -jubilee student
    -non award student

    ???

  18. #68
    Tired Member -may-cat-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,491
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    uuuuum, you're none of them as far as i know.... could you give a link to the page so we can see what your looking at?

    Doctor
    : I'm afraid your son has the knack.

    Dilmom: The knack?
    Doctor: The knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical and other social ineptitude.
    Dilmom: (worried) Can he lead a normal life?
    Doctor: No. He'll be an engineer.
    Dilmom: (crying) Oh No!



  19. #69
    Senior Member LonelyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,030
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Do we only fill out one form (eCAF) in step 1?

    Or are there other forms - CSP, HECS HELP?

    Also, do we pick our majors in step 2? Because I've been given the option to do so
    Last edited by LonelyWolf; 20 Jan 2012 at 2:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    Umm, I told Riproot and effy to get a room. In a Scottish accent.

  20. #70
    Cadet Salliea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LonelyWolf View Post
    Do we only fill out one form (eCAF) in step 1?

    Or are there other forms - CSP, HECS HELP?

    Also, do we pick our majors in step 2? Because I've been given the option to do so
    I believe that the eCAF is the HECS HELP, but please correct me if I'm wrong :P it's very confusing.

    On the other hand, I got a need some advise regarding units (x.x) . In my 100 Level Course, it requires me to do
    ECON110 Macroeconomic Principles (3)
    ECON111 Microeconomics Principles (3)
    Would people advise to do them in separate semesters or in the same one? ><

    Thanks

    EDIT: Oh, and also...is it better to have your lectures before tutorial, or the other way around @^@ So many choices. Thanks again
    Last edited by Salliea; 20 Jan 2012 at 3:16 PM.
    .:2012:. B. Applied Finance w/ B. Commerce - Professional Accounting @ MQU

    ◄◄◄ Why do i have this? Cause it's cute I like it

  21. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Salliea View Post
    I believe that the eCAF is the HECS HELP, but please correct me if I'm wrong :P it's very confusing.

    On the other hand, I got a need some advise regarding units (x.x) . In my 100 Level Course, it requires me to do
    ECON110 Macroeconomic Principles (3)
    ECON111 Microeconomics Principles (3)

    Would people advise to do them in separate semesters or in the same one? ><

    Thanks

    EDIT: Oh, and also...is it better to have your lectures before tutorial, or the other way around @^@ So many choices. Thanks again
    Having done both units, i would advise you do them separately, just my opinion, both have a similar style in terms of the type of questions asked in the exam, in terms of interpreting diagrams and theory, so once you do one, you will be better at the other.
    Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)/Bachelor of Laws @ Macquarie University

    Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice @ ANU

    Masters of Law @ ANU

  22. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LonelyWolf View Post
    Ahk. So we do start majors first year. A couple more questions:

    1. Is it possible to transfer the first semester at macq?

    2. Say I wanted to transfer from Arts to Commerce.


    B of Commerce - International Business Major:

    Accounting IA (3)

    Accounting Information for Decision-Making (3)

    Microeconomic Principles (3)

    Marketing Fundamentals (3)

    Introductory Statistics (3)

    Statistical Data Analysis (3)

    Design and Statistics I (3)

    Introduction to International Business (3)


    International Business Operations (3)

    Global Marketing (3)

    International Business Project (3)

    Business Policy (3)

    Global Business, Society and Environment (3)

    Asian Business Environment (3)

    Cross Cultural Management (3)

    B of Arts - International Business Major:

    Accounting IA (3)

    Accounting Information for Decision-Making (3)

    Microeconomic Principles (3)

    Marketing Fundamentals (3)

    Introductory Statistics (3)

    Statistical Data Analysis (3)

    Design and Statistics I (3)

    Introduction to Global Business (3)

    International Business Operations (3)

    Global Marketing (3)

    International Business Project (3)

    Global Business Strategy (3)

    Global Business, Society and Environment (3)

    Asian Business Environment (3)

    Cross Cultural Management (3)

    ----

    Some of the subjects are different, would that mean it is not possible to get the credit transfer? Or would they 'overlook' it seeing the near whole of the Majors are the exact same?

    I noticed that differences in the same Major subjects are exactly like the example above.
    Yep you can transfer after the first semester, provided you meet the GPA requirements which you could finding out by asking the faculty. And yep would get the credit transfer, as you are completing the same major, it would just be classified under the commerce degree, once you do switch, but yes you will get credit for having completed those subjects.
    Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)/Bachelor of Laws @ Macquarie University

    Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice @ ANU

    Masters of Law @ ANU

  23. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Salliea View Post
    I believe that the eCAF is the HECS HELP, but please correct me if I'm wrong :P it's very confusing.

    On the other hand, I got a need some advise regarding units (x.x) . In my 100 Level Course, it requires me to do
    ECON110 Macroeconomic Principles (3)
    ECON111 Microeconomics Principles (3)
    Would people advise to do them in separate semesters or in the same one? ><

    Thanks

    EDIT: Oh, and also...is it better to have your lectures before tutorial, or the other way around @^@ So many choices. Thanks again
    I prefer to have my tutorials before the lecture, since the tutorial covers the previous weeks lecture topic.
    Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)/Bachelor of Laws @ Macquarie University

    Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice @ ANU

    Masters of Law @ ANU

  24. #74
    Senior Member LonelyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,030
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    What is purpose and difference of 100/200/300 levels?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    Umm, I told Riproot and effy to get a room. In a Scottish accent.

  25. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LonelyWolf View Post
    What is purpose and difference of 100/200/300 levels?
    100 level - First year level subjects.
    200 level - Second year level subjects.
    300 level - Third year level subjects.
    Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)/Bachelor of Laws @ Macquarie University

    Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice @ ANU

    Masters of Law @ ANU

Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 1 guests)

  1. Orwell,
  2. trader3487

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •