Page 5 of 90 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 2234
Like Tree405Likes

Thread: MQ Chatter Thread

  1. #101
    Mr O.V.K onur91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Frolicking in the lands which are supposedly merry.
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LonelyWolf View Post
    Do you know If you have to do 24 credit points a year? How many did you do?
    Well you don't HAVE to do 24 per year. 24 per year suggests you're doing 4 units per semester (each being 3 credit points). That's the norm for most full-time students, but if that's too much for you, just do 3. Doing just 3 units per semester still counts as going full-time.
    I usually do 24 credit points (8 units) per year, but I deferred the first semester of last year, and only did 2 units in the second.

  2. #102
    Cadet Salliea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Just something that popped up... What does NCCW(s) stand for/ mean? :P
    .:2012:. B. Applied Finance w/ B. Commerce - Professional Accounting @ MQU

    ◄◄◄ Why do i have this? Cause it's cute I like it

  3. #103
    Tired Member -may-cat-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,491
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    ^ It means you are not allowed to take the unit if you have taken any of the NCCW(s)

    Doctor
    : I'm afraid your son has the knack.

    Dilmom: The knack?
    Doctor: The knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical and other social ineptitude.
    Dilmom: (worried) Can he lead a normal life?
    Doctor: No. He'll be an engineer.
    Dilmom: (crying) Oh No!



  4. #104
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,988
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Yep, Not to Count for Credit With - its essentially to stop people from doing the same unit or something so similar that they're not really learning

  5. #105
    Cadet Salliea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Ohhh, so we can't do those units in the same semester then? :x
    .:2012:. B. Applied Finance w/ B. Commerce - Professional Accounting @ MQU

    ◄◄◄ Why do i have this? Cause it's cute I like it

  6. #106
    Mr O.V.K onur91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Frolicking in the lands which are supposedly merry.
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Salliea View Post
    Ohhh, so we can't do those units in the same semester then? :x
    No no, you can't do them ever, or they won't count. These units are either way too similar, or are the previous version of the same unit.

  7. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    393
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Hey Guys,

    Just wanting to know, when we choose a 'tutorial' for a unit, do we HAVE to make it after our 'lecture'?

    I've heard you don't HAVE to, but it's good to so that you can ask questions etc AFTER the lecture.

    Answer please, thanks!

  8. #108
    Mr O.V.K onur91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Frolicking in the lands which are supposedly merry.
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rayy_bann View Post
    Hey Guys,

    Just wanting to know, when we choose a 'tutorial' for a unit, do we HAVE to make it after our 'lecture'?

    I've heard you don't HAVE to, but it's good to so that you can ask questions etc AFTER the lecture.

    Answer please, thanks!
    Well it doesn't matter, because depending on the unit, you generally do work in your tutorial for the PREVIOUS week's lecture. So it really doesn't make a difference whether you have your tutorial before or after your lecture.

  9. #109
    Tired Member -may-cat-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,491
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by onur91 View Post
    Well it doesn't matter, because depending on the unit, you generally do work in your tutorial for the PREVIOUS week's lecture. So it really doesn't make a difference whether you have your tutorial before or after your lecture.
    This really depends on the unit, all of mine study the current weeks lecture topic, not the previous week.

    Doctor
    : I'm afraid your son has the knack.

    Dilmom: The knack?
    Doctor: The knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical and other social ineptitude.
    Dilmom: (worried) Can he lead a normal life?
    Doctor: No. He'll be an engineer.
    Dilmom: (crying) Oh No!



  10. #110
    Mr O.V.K onur91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Frolicking in the lands which are supposedly merry.
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -may-cat- View Post
    This really depends on the unit, all of mine study the current weeks lecture topic, not the previous week.
    True. I've only encountered this within the Arts faculty. All my units in the Business faculty have gone off the previous weeks lecture topic though.

    So guys, it all depends on the unit. Generally if your tutorial starts in the second week rather than the first, for a particular unit, it should mean that your tutorials are going off last weeks lecture.

  11. #111
    FTW
    FTW is offline
    Member FTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    good question.
    Posts
    327
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -may-cat- View Post
    As a first year student, you should be taking 100 level units. So pretty much, have a look at the 100 level units in the above link and pick ones that you like. Most students will take 4 units a semester, but if you want to do less that's fine (i personally only do 3 a semester, this is the minimum you can do and still be considered a full time student, less then 3 and you're part time), you need to make sure that the units you pick are evenly spaced across two semesters. You need to pick 4 100lvl units for semester 1 and 4 100lvl units for semester 2.
    Just wondering is this set in stone? For example I know that you obviously don't have to study 4 units a session, but I'm doing actuarial studies, and one of the 200 level units is available to me (ACST212) as long as I get a credit in STAT171 in the first semester. Is this allowed? As in can I do the 200 level unit in my first year, as long as I qualify all the prerequisites?

    Advanced English|Mathematics Extension 1|Mathematics Extension 2|Geography|Physics

    B. Actuarial Studies w/ B. Economics @ MQ

    Procrastinators UNITE! Tomorrow...


    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
    there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.



  12. #112
    Tired Member -may-cat-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,491
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Just wondering is this set in stone? For example I know that you obviously don't have to study 4 units a session, but I'm doing actuarial studies, and one of the 200 level units is available to me (ACST212) as long as I get a credit in STAT171 in the first semester. Is this allowed? As in can I do the 200 level unit in my first year, as long as I qualify all the prerequisites?
    Not at all, that was just general advice that applies to most students (since most first year students by nature cannot meet most pre-requisites). So long as you meet the pre-requisites and it fits within your program of study, you can take the unit.

    Doctor
    : I'm afraid your son has the knack.

    Dilmom: The knack?
    Doctor: The knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical and other social ineptitude.
    Dilmom: (worried) Can he lead a normal life?
    Doctor: No. He'll be an engineer.
    Dilmom: (crying) Oh No!



  13. #113
    Junior Member MrBean1561's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    HSC
    2009
    Uni Grad
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by onur91 View Post
    You only have to take one people unit and one planet unit. You can choose whichever ones you want, as long as they aren't one of the required units you have to take. Say for example, your degree required you to take ANTH106, you cannot just complete that and count it as a Planet unit. You would have to choose one that isn't required.
    You can do your people and planet unit at any time within your course.



    1. The STAT170 practical just involved some short weekly quiz on the computer. Wasn't too difficult, and it really wouldn't matter if it was before or after your lectures.

    2. Do you have to take both Accounting units? (are they required?). If so, then it all looks fine.
    We didn't have any sort of quiz in the practical when I took the unit last semester. Since the unit was changed from previous years students just have to do step-by-step activities from the course notes.

  14. #114
    Mr O.V.K onur91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Frolicking in the lands which are supposedly merry.
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBean1561 View Post
    We didn't have any sort of quiz in the practical when I took the unit last semester. Since the unit was changed from previous years students just have to do step-by-step activities from the course notes.
    Guess a lot has changed. Did STAT170 in the first semester of '09.

  15. #115
    Senior Member LonelyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,030
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Do any of you guys do a major and minor in commerce? I was thinking about doing International Business Maj / Human Resources Minor. Is recommended you do a single major?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    Umm, I told Riproot and effy to get a room. In a Scottish accent.

  16. #116
    Cadet Salliea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by onur91 View Post
    No no, you can't do them ever, or they won't count. These units are either way too similar, or are the previous version of the same unit.
    Ok, I understand now Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by onur91 View Post
    True. I've only encountered this within the Arts faculty. All my units in the Business faculty have gone off the previous weeks lecture topic though.

    So guys, it all depends on the unit. Generally if your tutorial starts in the second week rather than the first, for a particular unit, it should mean that your tutorials are going off last weeks lecture.
    Hm...When do we know when our tutorial beings (like if its on the first or second week)? o3o
    Would it be ok if I plan to do my lectures and tutorial on the same day? Since I thought tutorials were like revision classes of the previous lesson/week, I placed it an hour before my lecture oxo
    .:2012:. B. Applied Finance w/ B. Commerce - Professional Accounting @ MQU

    ◄◄◄ Why do i have this? Cause it's cute I like it

  17. #117
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,988
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    What ever happened to that guy that was so keen on getting into MQ he had his degree planned out before getting in, don't tell me he didn't make it lol

  18. #118
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,988
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Salliea View Post
    Ok, I understand now Thanks



    Hm...When do we know when our tutorial beings (like if its on the first or second week)? o3o
    Would it be ok if I plan to do my lectures and tutorial on the same day? Since I thought tutorials were like revision classes of the previous lesson/week, I placed it an hour before my lecture oxo
    Tutorials may begin first week or second, best advice is to turn up to the lecture if its before the tutorial and they'll tell you, or if its before the lecture, to turn up to the tutorial and wait 5-10 minutes, if no one arrives its not on.

    Tutorials aren't just 'revision', lectures are were topics are generally covered while tutorials are where you go into them more indepth, you can ask questions, do presentations, essentially where the real learning occurs.

  19. #119
    Senior Member LonelyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,030
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Would someone who did general maths for their HSC and rarely got over 75%, find the level of maths required for economics and finance highly difficult?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    Umm, I told Riproot and effy to get a room. In a Scottish accent.

  20. #120
    Mr O.V.K onur91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Frolicking in the lands which are supposedly merry.
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Salliea View Post
    Ok, I understand now Thanks
    Hm...When do we know when our tutorial beings (like if its on the first or second week)? o3o
    Would it be ok if I plan to do my lectures and tutorial on the same day? Since I thought tutorials were like revision classes of the previous lesson/week, I placed it an hour before my lecture oxo
    Quote Originally Posted by AsyLum View Post
    Tutorials may begin first week or second, best advice is to turn up to the lecture if its before the tutorial and they'll tell you, or if its before the lecture, to turn up to the tutorial and wait 5-10 minutes, if no one arrives its not on.

    Tutorials aren't just 'revision', lectures are were topics are generally covered while tutorials are where you go into them more indepth, you can ask questions, do presentations, essentially where the real learning occurs.
    This.
    Also, you would be able find out if you have tutorials in the first week, by taking a look at the unit outline. Some units put up their outline before the first lecture, so keep an eye out for them.

  21. #121
    Mr O.V.K onur91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Frolicking in the lands which are supposedly merry.
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LonelyWolf View Post
    Would someone who did general maths for their HSC and rarely got over 75%, find the level of maths required for economics and finance highly difficult?
    Depends on your strong points. You'll be doing ACST101, so how were you with Annuities? If you sucked at them, you might have some trouble with that unit. But you can always get assistance through PAL, on campus.

  22. #122
    Where is the Love? DavDav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    HSC
    2011
    Uni Grad
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    집 ... Zzzz
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by onur91 View Post
    Depends on your strong points. You'll be doing ACST101, so how were you with Annuities? If you sucked at them, you might have some trouble with that unit. But you can always get assistance through PAL, on campus.
    Oh lord ...
    Wait so you're telling me that I'm not Asian but Chinese?

    Just another day of a Korean Australian.

  23. #123
    Senior Member LonelyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,030
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Would I have an enormous workload and difficulty keeping up with, if I did B Arts (24cp worth = International business, Politics and international relations and anthropology) and B Commerce (24cp worth = Finance and Human resources) ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    Umm, I told Riproot and effy to get a room. In a Scottish accent.

  24. #124
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,988
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LonelyWolf View Post
    Would I have an enormous workload and difficulty keeping up with, if I did B Arts (24cp worth = International business, Politics and international relations and anthropology) and B Commerce (24cp worth = Finance and Human resources) ?
    There's actually a degree with it, so no I don't think you would, dependent on how you structured your degree. I think you'd be looking at 4 years if you don't want to kill yourself:

    http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/D...or+of+Commerce

  25. #125
    FTW
    FTW is offline
    Member FTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    good question.
    Posts
    327
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: MQ Chatter Thread

    Is it unusual to study your people and/or planet unit is your first year? At the moment I have 4 units but few contact hours, so I was thinking of doing my people unit now and free up space later in my degree. Is this a good idea?

    Also how do electives work. Are electives any unit you wish to do? Or does your degree force you to do specific electives. As in, if I am doing Actuarial Studies, can I pick an elective that is a language, or does it have to be in the business faculty?

    Advanced English|Mathematics Extension 1|Mathematics Extension 2|Geography|Physics

    B. Actuarial Studies w/ B. Economics @ MQ

    Procrastinators UNITE! Tomorrow...


    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
    there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.



Page 5 of 90 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •