MQ Chatter Thread (3 Viewers)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Welcome to the continuing mqers, and a special greeting to the new faces.

This thread serves as a general discussion thread for MQ students. Please keep all the miscellaneous and off-topic conversation here as well as comments/queries/observations that don't warrant a new thread. While posts that would generally be considered spam elsewhere are tolerated in this thread, please note that this is not a substitute for Non-School.

I wish you success in your studies.

Fake-Name

HSC
Hey, kind of a stupid question here, but can anyone tell me what the hell i'm doing:

I finally figured out how to enrol for Enrolment day and Academic Orientation, and i've booked in for both of those. However it says that I should come prepared with flexible times for my units incase I can't get the time I want. Where do I find what times my units are operating? Is it this thing here: http://i.imgur.com/GtIZp.png ? I have no clue on what i'm doing.

ameher

HSC
Hey, kind of a stupid question here, but can anyone tell me what the hell i'm doing:

I finally figured out how to enrol for Enrolment day and Academic Orientation, and i've booked in for both of those. However it says that I should come prepared with flexible times for my units incase I can't get the time I want. Where do I find what times my units are operating? Is it this thing here: http://i.imgur.com/GtIZp.png ? I have no clue on what i'm doing.
Yep thats it your on the right page. So for semester 1 you should be looking at session 1, and semester 2 is session 2. Click on the unit to find out which tutorial and lecture time would suit you, so you can atleast have a rough idea prior to enrolment as to what unit you would like to enrol in. The actual enrolment into the classes is done by a student advisor at the uni the first time you go so you understand the process for future enrolments.

Fake-Name

HSC
Thanks for that. So is Semester 1 just the '100 level' units?

ameher

HSC
Thanks for that. So is Semester 1 just the '100 level' units?
Well 100 level units just mean these units are first year units. so they have no real correlation with what semester you do them in. But since your a first yr you will be doing 100 level units to start off with yes.

Fake-Name

HSC
Ok now it's starting to make sense.

I guess i'm in no rush to create a timetable since enrolment isn't until the 10th. I'm going to get some sleep and try to sort this out tomorrow.

Thankyou.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Ooooooh i'm so glad you're doing Antiquity's Heirs! In my experience it's the least popular of all the 100 lvl AHIS units, despite easily being the best, Andrew Gillet is fantastic =p

Last edited:

ameher

HSC
Ooooooh i'm so glad you're doing Antiquity's Heirs! In my experience it's the least popular of all the 100 lvl AHIS units, despite easily being the best, Andrew Gillet is fantastic =p
How many years have you got left for your degree? my 4th yr this yr, feel like im getting old seeing all these first years talking about enrollment and offers.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
In my fourth year as well, should have the non-honours part of my undergrad done this year (i only take 3 units a semester so i'm a bit of a slowpoke). Still not sure what i'll be doing afterwards with the whole abolition of honours thing, seriously thinking of doing masters instead but will have to see what happens with HECs...

Does make you feel kind of old... This year I'll (hopefully) be running PASS for one of the first year ancient languages i did, THEN i'll feel old methinks

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Ok now it's starting to make sense.

I guess i'm in no rush to create a timetable since enrolment isn't until the 10th. I'm going to get some sleep and try to sort this out tomorrow.

Thankyou.
Take your time, it's like playing advanced Tetris trying to get your timetable together

rahrahreiby

HSC
Gillet has the best hair of any lecturer. Ever. It has a certain He-Man quality to it.

Fake-Name

HSC
I'm actually looking forward to Antiquities' Heirs. Besides Egyptology, the rise of Christianity and Islam and the transition to our modern world, is something I'm pretty interested in. Also I hear it looks at Persia for a bit.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
^ Indeed it does. Also, besides the content, the unit also really hammers proper source evaluation and research skills into you. It sets you up very nicely to deal with harder assignments later on, the only other thing as valuable for this would be the prosopography assignment in AHIS110 Rome: Republic to Empire imo

Fake-Name

HSC
^ Indeed it does. Also, besides the content, the unit also really hammers proper source evaluation and research skills into you. It sets you up very nicely to deal with harder assignments later on, the only other thing as valuable for this would be the prosopography assignment in AHIS110 Rome: Republic to Empire imo
So it would be a good idea to take the subject in semester 1, then?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
What, AHIS110 or AHIS120? AHIS120 only runs in semester 2 and while AHIS110 (which does run in semester 1) is an awesome unit, i wouldn't take it unless you have an interest in Rome.

Fake-Name

HSC
AHIS120, I'm not interested in Rome. How do i determine what subjects run in which semester?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If you look up AHIS120 in the handbook you can see that next to 'when offered' it says 'D2 - Day; Offered in Session 2, North Ryde '. Session 2 here means semester 2.

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/Units/UGUnit/AHIS120

Since not everything is available all the time it's important to pay attention to the hand book to make sure you're structuring your degree properly.

xjxmxhx

HSC
Hi, can you guys please help me out?
I wanted to do arts this year at the north ryde campus, but i put the city campus down instead :/ i got accepted, but just realised my mistake now! Can the uni do anything? Or do i just have to accept that and hope to get an offer in the late round? (btw, arts is 75 and i got 91; its my pathway into an arts/law degree hopefully)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Try reapplying in the late round. You should hopefully get a spot, given your ATAR.

The uni can't really do anything, however transferring between campuses is pretty much automatic and you can do so after one semester (worst case scenario).

LonelyWolf

HSC
Greetings.

Say if a person was doing a B of Arts and one of their majors was international business. After some time, they successfully transfer to B of Commerce - a degree which also has a international business major. Is it the same? Do the credits from completing international business in B of Arts carry over to B of Commerce?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)