Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Business & Economics Subject Review Thread

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Business & Economics Subject Review Thread

Unit Code: BUS201 (No the subject isn't about appreciating the BUS201 route)
    Difficulty: Easy
    Lecturer: Murray
    Year and Semester Taken: 2016
    Workload: light/medium
    Pass/Credit: Light
    Distinction/High Distinction: Moderate/High (Depends on the person)
    Assessment breakdown:

Assessed coursework(30%) In Tutorials
    Assessed coursework is made up of 3 weeks of tutorial work of which the best 2 weeks is assessed (each worth 15%).
    Open book but not open internet, textbook would probably be useful here. Bring in notes. Give a lot of examples, and try to include theories and name drop authors of articles.One Case Study, one essay and one lot of short answers were assessments when I did the course.

Group report(30%)
    - 15% individual
    You will be marked down if you don't try and do more then 1/5th of the report. Forget about everyone else, if you want to maximise your marks unfortunately will need to do more then your fair share of the work. Having five people do a group report with the new marking scheme in place isn't very effective nor fair.

Final Examination(40%)

Do the given readings. Have a look at past exams and practice writing essays. I would also advise you to do extra readings that relate to topic to strengthen your essays.You get a single sided A4 sheet that you can write anything on to bring into the exam.

Comments:
    Go to the lecturers that aren't recorded. You may get rewarded with tips of what areas to study for the final.I'd recommend this to people who are interested in high school type economics (doesn't have any graphs really) and who are good at essays etc. It is worth attending lectures in my opinion, but it isn't essential to succeed in this unit.
    Last edited by BLIT2014; 16 Dec 2016 at 7:34 AM.
    Non scholæ sed vitæ discimus

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Voting starts soon don't forget to vote in the the postal plebiscite!
    + Local elections are coming!
    Check your AEC enrollment address today : http://www.aec.gov.au/enrol/
    Turning 18 before November the 7th? You are eligible to vote!

HSC
    Uni Grad

Unit Code: AFIN253
    Lecturer: Damian
    Difficulty: Easy/Medium
    Workload: Low/Medium
    Assessment breakdown:
    Quizzes 15%
    5 Quizzes worth 1% each
    Week 4 Diagnostic quiz

Class Test (15%) In Lectures

If you do revision + attend hard it isn't that difficult.However you are quite time pressured and it is easy to make silly mistakes. Would recommend that you write the full name of the formula on your Single sided A4 cheat sheet.No formula sheet is given.Hardest part was doing it on the dodgy lecture desks.

Peerwise Creation tool (Free marks! 5%)
    You will required to create 5 multiple choice questions and answer 20 questions created by other students.

Assignment: 10%
    Don't forget to reference the reports that you are given. If you make reasonable assumptions in your calculations, and include peer reviewed journal articles to back up your claims then it is probable you will be rewarded with great marks.

Final examinations 60%
    Would recommend that you write the full name of the formula on your Single sided A4 cheat sheet. If Damian says something may be helpful write it down on your cheat sheet.

Comments:

Attend lectures for hints plus it is actually quite interesting attending them No ilecture available so all though the lecture was "recorded" not everything was. Check announcements regularly! PAL is available. If you are struggling then go to it. Even if you aren't struggling can be good to double check your knowledge.

I enjoyed it. If you found ACST101 easy then this should also be fairly easy.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad

Unit Code: ECON309
    Lecturer: Jordi
    Difficulty: Hard
    Workload: High
    Assessment breakdown:
    Midsem 20%
    Assignment 20%
    Final 60%

Comments:
    One of the hardest topics I've done at uni. Lectures are 3 hours and jam pack them with lots of material. Mid Sem was difficult and avrge mark was just under 50%. Assignment is marked very leniently (probably to make up for the midsem). Final is very hard as you have to memorise a lot for the exam.
    v1 likes this.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad

Unit Code: AFIN353
    Lecturer: Narelle
    Difficulty: medium
    Workload: High
    Assessment breakdown:
    Midsem 20%
    Assignment 20%
    Final 60%

Comments:
    Midsem is easy, you can take a cheat sheet and as long as you understand the material no questions will surprise you. Assignment was a a bit tougher. Final wasn't difficult. What made it hard was some weeks the homework took a long time to complete as the concepts were hard or there were just a lot of questions.
    v1 likes this.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad

Unit Code: AFAS200
    Lecturer: Nidal
    Difficulty: easy
    Workload: incredibly low
    Assessment breakdown:
    Midsem 20%
    Assignment 20%
    Homework and marking others 20%
    Final 40%

Comments:
    The least amount of content out of any subject ive done. 10 lectures each one is max 45 mins with most around 25-30mins. Very easy content as well. Midsem and final are both multiple choice and online. Easy to get full marks. Average for midsem was 90%. Homework submissions and marking again free marks. The negatives are the assignment is 3500 words and requires a bit of time and research. It is also marked very harshly to bring down the marks I suspect. Final grade also seemed to be scaled down presumably for similar reasons. Overall great subject done externally with minimal work. My top recommendation for a people unit.
    Last edited by thor1990; 11 Feb 2017 at 10:05 AM.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by hovamagna View Post
    For some reason you don't have to do this course anymore if you're doing the professional accounting course. Looks like they removed this unit which I find weird..

http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergradua...nal-accounting
    BUSL250/BUSL301 are being combined and they are removing BUSL301 will be unavailable to complete in 2018.

HSC

Any reviews for STAT171,ACST152,MATH132?
    1st Year BAppFinBActStud @ MQ

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Math 132 is like Math 135 but more emphasis on proofs behind concepts, such as the definition of a limit and the fundamental theorem of calculus etc. If you did well and understood your Extension 2 Math, you'll expand on that and probably enjoy it a lot. My experience with the Math dept of MQ is that it runs very smoothly, unlike my experience for other departments.
    Last edited by weaknuclearforce; 17 Feb 2017 at 10:35 AM.

HSC

Any reviews for MKTG127 please :'( How harshly are the assignments and final marked? I'm kinda worried about the essays.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Unit Code: ACST101
    Lecturer: Brian
    Good if you'd rather do practice questions then go through boring theory.
    Shows you the answer for the online quizzes so you can double check your learning. If you pick up mathematical? concepts well, then go to his. If you don't Naralle's lectures are probably better to attend.
    Difficulty: Medium
    Workload: Low
    Year and Semester Taken: 2016 semester 1

Assessment breakdown:
    Quizzes 20%
    10 Quizzes worth 2% each
    At the time I did it, the quizzes and homework were really easy. This however was not to be the case in the in lecture tests.

Class Test (30%) In Lectures
    Two class tests.
    No "cheat" sheets but they give you a formula sheet if I remember correctly. The questions were like nothing like what we saw in class. However this isn't typically the case, from the sounds of it some of my other friends did it in other semesters and the tests explored questions that were similarly in difficulty to what they'd been tested on.

Final examinations 50%
    No formula sheet but get to take in one page of double sided A4 sheet.The exam was relatively straight forward, and was a lot less complex then the in class test.

Comments:
    Given my performance in the class tests, which were okay would've meant that I must've seriously aced the end of year exam. This may be the case, but I don't think I did as great as what I would have to achieved to get my mark.This suggests that the unit become aware that the class tests were unnecessarily difficult(well not similar to what we've seen before) so adjusted marks this semester for scaling purposes.
    PAL is also available and I suggest that it may be worth attending. Harder then AFIN253 when I did it.

HSC

Unit Code: ACST101
    Difficulty: Easy if you've done >=2Unit Maths, Moderate if you've done General, Moderately Difficult if no maths at all
    Lecturer: Narelle Gordon
    Tutor: Henry Ma (There was also a Vietnamese female tutor that I had for two weeks. They were basically the same and follow the format of Revise Lecture Content -> Discuss Questions). He often finished early since we went through the questions and our class was unenthusiastic about asking questions.
    Year and Semester Taken: 2017 S1
    Workload: Moderate
    Comments: Only really hard if you've never worked with a shit ton of formula before. The content can take a few days to understand but overall very easy for anyone who's good at mathematics. Quizzes have a 1 Hr + time frame and both assessments allowed open book or a formula sheet to work with. I coped with doing 7 weeks of content just looking at the textbook. Get into the habit of having a separate document (or sheet) to record every formula you see pop up, unless it wasn't covered in the lecture notes. If you are looking at the textbook you might also encounter unfamiliar formulas. Read it side by side with the lecture notes and see if they match up, some formulas will not be needed (from the textbook). If you attend PAL classes they also provide harder questions than usual. Recommend to not go to Brian Chu's lecture because he's not a methodical teacher. If you like the real life aspect of Finance and common discussion of real life scenarios, go to his. Otherwise I found Narelle's the best.

Some concepts can get a bit tricky. So use the practice quizzes to your advantage for easy access to questions. Often they provide answers and method, and are very similar to questions that are in the assessed quizzes. Even some practice questions were just questions in the assessed with switched values, so you can just repeat the method with different values.
    Assessment Breakdown: 2% each for 10 quizzes (20%), One Excel Assignment + Quiz (7%), In-class Test (15%), Final Exam (55%)

Unit Code: BBA102
    Difficulty: Easy-Moderate
    Lecturer: Alison Barnes
    Tutor: Lawrence Potter
    Workload: Low
    Comments: Little to no homework, but two report/essay assignments. Also in-class tests that weren't even assessed. I found the subject tough due to the marking aspect of it (harsh). It seemed to be common consensus that classes had only C or F averages, so it really depends on your tutor. I recommend finding a tutor that is lax in your first few weeks and stick to them. I'm not sure if it was the tutor or the subject itself. Can't say much since I only got a C. I think this subject is risky since there are two assignments worth 25% and 35% respectively, so you don't get a lot of chances. Questions also were confusing since they use past lecture notes and often include content not in Textbooks NOR Slides. I felt like it was a poorly run subject. The FE was extremely easy if you were good at rote memorisation.
    Assessment Breakdown: Report (25%), Essay (35%), FE (40%)
    Last edited by ProdigyInspired; 13 Jul 2017 at 4:42 PM.
    Bachelor of Applied Finance and Bachelor of Commerce (Professional Accounting) at MQ.

HSC 2016: English Advanced, Math 3U, Math 4U, Chemistry, Business Studies

HSC

Unit Code: ACCG100
    Difficulty: Easy
    Lecturer: Forgot her name. Female w/ Viet Accent.
    Tutor: Fareeza Khan
    Workload: Moderate-Kind of Heavy
    Comments: The subject is very easy with its methodical accounting. Recognising when to use different methods and the different formats of accounting is crucial. After that, it's not much. There is some rote content and little maths involved, but overall a very comfortable subject. Get used to learning Excel and charge your laptop before coming. During our Semester we had to use a laptop for like 9 classes for 1hour and 30mins.
    Assessment Breakdown: Marked Homework (2.5%/5% each time marked: all weeks, marking is random but commonly occurs over each class, you can know when it is marked if you have friends doing earlier classes, but not always accurate), Interactive Assignment (10% total, marked every week it is done and you may have to complete a task in class in an allocated timeframe), Case Study Report (15%, may be harshly marked), In-class Test (15%, covers a variety of topics and is half the effort of the FE pretty much), FE (55%, no formula sheet, fairly straightforward test that tests you on most concepts)

Unit Code: ECON111
    Difficulty: Moderate-Difficult
    Lecturer: Prashan
    Tutor: Mahak
    Comments: Subject can have some confusing concepts, but overall understandable if you spend enough time on it. There are a SHIT ton of graphs and curves that you have to remember, but luckily the FE focused on the last few weeks of lectures. There is initial content for maths but later it's more about graphs. Helps if you understand coordinate geometry i.e. how they move positively/negatively. The FE was kind and gave us various questions to choose out of the contents learnt.
    Assessment Breakdown: Participation in class (6%?, just answer questions at least once and notify the tutor at the end of the class, sometimes he doesn't ask and just puts everyone's name down), HW (5% total, Quizzes are given as part of homework and marked at the end of the unit, no time limit) ,Online Quizzes (10% total, quizzes answered in about 20 mins regarding lecture content, only 3 with the best marks were marked), In-class Quiz (5%, 3 quizzes in class with 5 questions, no open book), Individual Assignment (15%, questions regarding content, requiring you to draw graphs and write answers), FE (60%)
    Bachelor of Applied Finance and Bachelor of Commerce (Professional Accounting) at MQ.

HSC 2016: English Advanced, Math 3U, Math 4U, Chemistry, Business Studies

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad

Unit Code: ACCG300
    Lecturer: Ranjith
    Tutor: Ranjith
    Workload: Medium
    Comments: Difficult final that is hard to achieve high marks in. Tutorial assessments can be hard. Make sure you do this subject in Semester 2 as it is run by a less strict lecturer and do not go in Ranjith's tutorial.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by thor1990 View Post
    Unit Code: ACCG300
    Tutor: Ranjith
    Workload: Medium
    Comments: Difficult final that is hard to achieve high marks in. Tutorial assessments can be hard. Make sure you do this subject in Semester 2 as it is run by a less strict lecturer and do not go in Ranjith's tutorial.
    I thought the inclass assessments/tasks most week were hard/impossible to complete?

Meow meow meow meow meow? ilikecats's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Lol Ranjith. I remember him from one summer course I did.
    Macquarie University
    Bachelor of Science
    Business Information Systems
    Might actually finish in 2017

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    I thought the inclass assessments/tasks most week were hard/impossible to complete?
    Yeah some more than others which ranjith chose to count the hard ones while other tutors picked the easier ones

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecats View Post
    Lol Ranjith. I remember him from one summer course I did.
    Lol accg200?
    ilikecats likes this.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by thor1990 View Post
    Yeah some more than others which ranjith chose to count the hard ones while other tutors picked the easier ones
    I enjoyed the content but we definitely were owed more time for the exam+ assessments. Did you manage to finish the exam?

HSC
    Uni Grad

Unit Code: BUSL301 Aka Corps Law
    Difficulty: Moderate
    Lecturer: Zaman
    Tutor: Julian
    Year and Semester Taken: 2016

Assessment breakdown:

20% Tutorial Participation
    Do not expect to get 100% in participation, the unit convenor explained that only people who could be expected to get 100% in the end of semester exam could possibly get 20/20. Do the homework, + have cases ready. Given that a significant proportion of the class didn't do much preparation at all, it should be relatively easy to contribute. If you end up in Julian's class have a name tag on the desk so that you can ensure that you'll be remembered for contributing.Have both textbooks, and I suggest you do the readings. Even if you aren't entirely 100% about something have a go. I'd recommend that you start a study group, and go through/discuss potential solutions before getting to class.

20% Online Quizz
    The hardest part was pretty much the fact that some of the questions + answers had dodgy english. I'd recomend that you do some broader readings on the judgement of cases mentioned in the lectures, and this will better equip you to answer the multi-guess questions.

60% Final Exam
    Must pass final to pass course. I.e get 50% or more. No cheatsheet which made it difficult as it is a fairly content heavy subject! Look at past exams and see what tends to pop up. Do the practice multiple choice that are uploaded as a sample, they may well appear in the exam. Go to consultations such as Julian's and have prepared answers to some past exams. No negative marking so if in doubt bullshit away!

Comments:
    For me personally the lectures were not really helpful. It felt like stuff that we'd done a lot in previous units already was over explained and stuff that we hadn't learnt about previously was briefly touched on. Found Julian's tutorials really helpful, and he explained the concepts in greater clarity so I actually felt like I understood what was going on in the subject. I'd also recommend that you purchase both textbooks, as the textbooks didn't always have enough information without the other one.
    I found this unit challenging but throughly enjoyed the participation within class.
    Last edited by BLIT2014; 26 Jul 2017 at 6:53 PM.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    I enjoyed the content but we definitely were owed more time for the exam+ assessments. Did you manage to finish the exam?
    Nah not even close. Did anyone?

Worst part is I picked this as a 300 level elective but turns out it was hard. Couldn't find any easy one. So far easiest 300 level strangely has been afin353 (if anyone is looking for one)

HSC
    Uni Grad

Unit Code: ACCG301
    Difficulty: Moderate
    Tutor: E ?
    Year and Semester Taken: S1 2017
    Difficulty: Moderate. I'd lean towards it being "easier" if you performed well in the theory part of ACCG200 however time limits made it difficult.

Assessment breakdown:
    Assessed Coursework 15%
    The questions provided are fairly different from the homework, but at least you get a free 1 mark for doing your homework out of a possible 3 for each week assessed coursework. You'll struggle with time, so practice questions under really tight conditions.

Case Study/Research Report 20%
    10% presentation (Individual) Marked on cohesiveness.
    10% Case study : Use heaps of peer reviewed articles.

Class Test 15%
    Google the previous class tests as a method of preparation.

Final Examination 50%
    Do not have to pass final to pass course! Probably good given that no one I knew finished it.

Comments:
    The practical questions were easier then ACCG200, but you aren't given enough time. Very theoretically intensive course. Probably be easier if you don't do it when this unit convenor is taking although he is a decent lecturer. I love management accounting, but I felt that I would have performed better if I had been given more time.

(Currently procrastinating on uni :P)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information