Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Papercutter

Thread: Science Subject Review Thread

Premium Member
    HSC

Science Subject Review Thread

Welcome to the Faculty of Science subject review thread.

The aim of this thread is to allow students to offer feedback on the units they are studying/have studied.

Reviews should be made in the following format:

• Unit Code:
    • Difficulty: (Easy/Moderate/Difficult)
    • Lecturer:
    • Tutor:
    • Year and Semester Taken:
    • Workload:
    • Comments:
    • Assessment Breakdown:

In order to find a particular subject review within this faculty, simply click on the "search thread" function and enter your unit code.

Good luck with your studies.
    Last edited by Azure; 10 Feb 2012 at 3:21 PM.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad

Re: Science Subject Review Thread

Unit Code: CBMS101
    Difficulty: Very Easy
    Lecturer:Marie Nelson
    Year and Semester Taken: 2014 S1
    Workload: Low
    Comments: 6 Labs worth 15% and it is very easy to get 100% for this, online quizzes 15% also easy to get 100%. Midesemester and Final just do past papers and a D should be easy in these. Even for non-science background students easy Distinction

HSC

Hello every body here.
    I have an accept from maquarie to complete master in electronic engineering .
    I would to know what about this major in MQ is it hard i want to communicate with students in same major HOw i can.

Thanks
    OH sorry how i can find the answer on my questions i am new in the chat.

HSC

Unit Code: PHYS140
    Difficulty: (Easy/Moderate/Difficult): Moderate
    Lecturer: James Downes, Jason Twamley, Mark Wardle
    Tutor: Jason Twamley
    Year and Semester Taken: 2015, session 2
    Workload: Seems easy, but it's best to revise all semester or else it'll get shit hard just before the end
    Comments: They don't really give you any indication of what they expect in the final exam; the labs are completely irrelevant to the rest of the unit content, the quizzes only test one small area of the 3+ chapters of content each week, and tutorials focus on those same areas. The final however it on topics totally unrelated to the ones looked at in class, so it makes it very hard to revise.
    Assessment Breakdown:
    -20%: 8 of the best results from weekly quizzes held in tutorials
    -20%: weekly 3 hour lab sessions
    -15%: mid semester exam on weeks 1-4 content
    -45%: final exam mainly on weeks 5-12 content (with some concepts from earlier weeks)
    B. Science (Astronomy and Astrophysics)/B. Laws @ Macq.
    GPA: 3.71/4

Meow meow meow meow meow? ilikecats's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Unit Code: ISYS114 (Introduction to Database Design and Management)
    Difficulty: Moderate
    Lecturer: Varied each week/topic and day/night lectures. Included Deborah, Charanya, Yifan, Stephen and Mehmet.
    Tutor: Charanya
    Year and Semester Taken: Semester 2, 2015.

Workload: Moderate. 2 hour lecture and 2 hour tutorial/practical per week. Some weekly homework questions to be done online (easily answered from the textbook or lecture notes), and assessments throughout the semester which can take extended time depending on your prior knowledge.

Comments: Depending on your prior knowledge about the topics covered, it can be really easy or really hard. I came in with very little knowledge (I didn't have to complete any Isys or Comp units prior to this also), but I found it was easy to keep up with the content if you attended the tutorials. I rarely listened to the lectures as the timing didn't suit, but I did read over the slides and make notes. The assignments can be a bitch because you have a short time frame to complete them after learning the material. Two of the assessments also require access to specific software, so this can be a pain to access closer to assignment deadlines. They don't give extensions because the server was busy. Also, some assessment instructions can be vague and require you to make a judgement call and justify your answer. Actually a really poorly run unit. The UC didn't seem to know what was going on and people posting on Ilearn got some ridiculous replies. The overall vagueness and disorganised nature of this unit was very frustrating, but it can be interesting and enjoyable if you like this sort of thing.

Assessment Breakdown:
    • Assessment 1: Database Modelling - 18%: Reasonably easy, but vague instructions. I did much better than I thought I was going to because of the whole "justify why you did this". There isn't a single right or wrong way for most of the tasks, and you need to listen to learn how to use the software the way they want.
    • Assessment 2: Database Queries - 17%: Basically writing SQL queries and hoping they work. Easy to pass, but difficult to get full marks (You aren't taught every single thing you need to complete the assignment, so you'll need to do more research to get full marks). This is the assignment many people had connection issues with because you needed to use a specific software with a specific connection to work on it, and 250 people plus one guy spamming the host server to try and get an extension is bloody annoying.
    • Assessment 3: DB Issues & Topics - 10%: Your in a group (pick somebody that shows up to tutorials) and have to present on a topic. No two groups can have the same topic, so make sure you show up and pick a good topic. Easy to do well, but also peer marked, so actually engaging with the class and not getting your facts wrong helps.
    • Homework Submissions - 10%: Easy questions, usually 4 per week. Can do them in <30 minutes easily. Have to be submitted by 9am Mondays, so don't forget. Never actually specifies how many there is to complete, but all are marked. So don't forget them.
    • Final Exam - 45%: Covers the entire unit. 50% is multiple choice, 50% is questions similar to the assessments. You need to "functionally demonstrate" you can do all topics, so it isn't a straight 50% pass the exam pass the unit thing, but they don't specifically say this.

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Unit Code: ISYS104
    Difficulty: Easy/Moderate
    Workload: Moderate
    Lecturer: Mansour? Kristy?
    Year and Semester Taken: 2015, session 1

Comments:
    Lectures for the most part finished within an hour rather then the two hours that were timetabled. Incredibly boring and lectures that may be worth skipping. Don't buy the textbook, it is not worth purchasing at all! Don't expect to walk into the final exam and be able to answer all the questions, as part of the content wasn't taught or appeared in textbook/lecture slides. In saying this, it is fairly easy to get a distinction/high distinction if you bother putting the work/effort in. This unit is probably a minimum of a credit if you put in a bit of effort.

Tutors/Lecturers were very approachable if you get stuck and require help.

Assessment Breakdown:
    Diagnostic Quiz 2% Written in class
    Assignment-1 7% Excel
    Mid Semester Exam Written in class
    Assignment-2 7% Microsoft Access
    Use a windows os and download Access rather then using VM as it can get slow/hard to save your work.
    Practical Exam 20% On Excel/Access
    Final Exam 50% (Don't need to pass final exam to finish course)
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Don't forget to "vote"(post) in the postal plebiscite!
    On break from site until late November.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad

Unit Code: ANTH106 (planet unit)
    Difficulty: Very Easy
    Lecturer: Guy Threlfo
    Year and Semester Taken: 2015, Session 3

Comments:
    3 hours of lectures a week which is a bit more than a normal subject but they are hands down the most interesting lectures i've ever listened to. It's all about drugs e.g steroids, cannabis, tobacco, the pill etc. Content is very easy and you don't really need to write notes as the powerpoint slides are very comprehensive. The lecturer Lisa is also very quirky and there's constantly guest speakers e.g police or Ayahuasca experts. Midsemester and Final are very easy, both are multiple choice and ONLINE so you can have your notes write in front of you and control F everything and google stuff. No maths or difficult questions, answers are straight from the slides. You could easily get 90%+ in these exams. Negatives of this subject, there's a 35% essay which requires doing a bit of reading and work and its an essay so a little more subjective and hard to get very high marks. Also 2 to 3 questions out of each of the final and midsemester require you to have done the prescribed readings. There are a lot of readings 450 pages for the semester, but even if you do none you can still easily get a high distinction in these exams and its just for those extra marks you need to do them. I would do it in summer school as the assessment structure is better than S1 and S2 and also no tutes, so everything is external. No textbook. Overall probably the easiest subject i've done and definitely the most interesting.

Assessment Breakdown:
    Midsemester Quiz 30%
    Essay 35%
    Final Exam 35%

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Spent my first yr (2016) doing PHYS 140/143 and Math 135/136

Math dept at MQ has been run like a well oiled swiss made clock - Lectures are engaging and deep. Quiz / assignment results are entered into iLearn quickly and feedback is swift.
    Physics is the opposite - I got the impression the faculty isn't very engaged with first year students. There are a lot of Engineering students that have compulsory 1st yr physics units and I would stereotype them as not being impressed with the nature of light or the wonder of relativity. Consequently to succeed in PHYS 140/143 you must already LOVE physics and your textbooks. You certainly WONT fall in love with the subject matter via lectures or iLearn, you'd be much better off watching a Feynman lecture on Youtube to find out what the fuss is all about. The lab work in 2016 was a particular travesty and this was acknowledged by the faculty also, it was painful to endure, but also an experience!

All this is to say, this first year was quite an experience. Happy to answer specific Qs but difficult to give broad vague answers. If you already love the idea of Physics you should DO physics

Edit - i should mention that i managed HDs for all 4 units above, felt like 75% of my effort went to Math, 20% into Phys and remainder is spent on other units lol

Forgot to mention I did ASTR170 in S1 2016, so as no one seems to have mentioned this one, here's my take on it,

Unit Code: ASTR170 (also a Planet unit)
    Difficulty: Easy
    Lecturer: Mark Wardle & 2 others
    Tutor: various
    Year and Semester Taken: S1 2016
    Comments:
    Lectures were like watching a 40 hour documentary on the universe, very interesting, sometimes entertaining and never verging on trivial. The labs are painful, but easy to get high marks. There were 5 Assignments inc, 1 Essay, 2 multi-choice tests, 2 short answer type papers - all fairly easy, some just an exercise in google (which I don't enjoy personally). The final exam was pretty easy, especially if you examine the last 3 exams and note the possible content - having said that, I must've screwed something up because I only got a D, in comparison to the HDs I got for Math/Phys, but this is probably more a reflection on how much effort I put into the unit.
    Fun unit, if you're after a Planet unit or just love the Universe!
    Last edited by weaknuclearforce; 18 Jan 2017 at 1:20 PM. Reason: additional info

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by weaknuclearforce View Post
    Spent my first yr (2016) doing PHYS 140/143 and Math 135/136
    Math dept at MQ has been run like a well oiled swiss made clock - Lectures are engaging and deep. Quiz / assignment results are entered into iLearn quickly and feedback is swift.
    That sounds promising. I look forward to math classes at MQ next year
    weaknuclearforce likes this.
    ATAR Aim: 90+
    Main Field Interest: Environmental Science

2017 HSC
    Extension 1 Maths ~ Advanced English ~ Earth and Enviro ~ Chemistry ~ Senior Science

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Papercutter View Post
    That sounds promising. I look forward to math classes at MQ next year
    Terrific Try and spend a few weeks revising your Ext Math in Jan/Feb, you'll find first yr Math a little like going over old ground but with deeper analysis, proofs and a little extension beyond... Good luck with your results!

2nd yr Math was a little hit & miss with lecturing styles but the department itself is really great. Terrific support is offered whenever a student reaches out, should they need it.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by weaknuclearforce View Post
    Terrific Try and spend a few weeks revising your Ext Math in Jan/Feb, you'll find first yr Math a little like going over old ground but with deeper analysis, proofs and a little extension beyond... Good luck with your results!

2nd yr Math was a little hit & miss with lecturing styles but the department itself is really great. Terrific support is offered whenever a student reaches out, should they need it.
    Yep I will do that, thanks for the tip! I had a look at the specific course structure for my degree and it only has one maths unit: Statistical Data Analysis - STAT171.

Wouldn't have minded more math units but that's okay
    ATAR Aim: 90+
    Main Field Interest: Environmental Science

2017 HSC
    Extension 1 Maths ~ Advanced English ~ Earth and Enviro ~ Chemistry ~ Senior Science

HSC

Anyone done ISYS100 ??? I have enrolled for it in the first semester next year, and i am not really sure what to expect...
    HSC 2017
    English Adv.
    3u Maths
    PDHPE
    Chemistry
    Ancient Hist.
    Bus. Studies

But... I'd rather be surfing

Thread Information