< full year of study (at diff uni) but results will still be looked at with ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Weeber

HSC
N/A
hey guys

so I called up Macquarie to see if I can still use my ATAR from last year and by this I mean ATAR exclusively to apply for a course in Sem1 2014, but although I have not completed a full years worth of study they said my previous uni results will be looked at in conjunction with my ATAR,
Is this true? The guy on the phone wasn't too clear and said "they usually look at both..."

Thanks

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
They'll look at both. After completing 1 year they will only look ar uni results, not atar anymore. It does depend on the uni though.

Weeber

HSC
N/A
Yeah for example USYD said they only look at ATAR when I called them up

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I just got accepted into Macq with less than 1 year equivalent full time study.

I do believe it is correct that they look at both ATAR and GPA/WAM depending on how much you've studied. My ATAR was not high enough for the course I applied for, but my GPA wasn't amazing either.

For example, Semester 1 results won't be available for mid year entry, so offers are solely based on your ATAR because you don't have a GPA/WAM/S1 results. At the end of semester 2 (ie. transferring at the start of the new year), you have your ATAR and one semester of study (again, second semester results won't be released so can't be included), so they can look at both of these.

So basically,
<1 semester with results= ATAR
>1 semester with results but < 1 year of study= ATAR and GPA/WAM
>1 year with results (ie. 2 full semesters) = GPA/WAM

tony1984

HSC
N/A
They go through UAC so you might want to consider calling a UAC representative for MQ as an alternative, or just calling Student Services again and/ or the department of study that you're interested in and inquiring until someone can ascertain it to you confidently.

From what I understand they look at a combined weighting of your ATAR and GPA/WAM unless you have studied equal to or greater than one year full-time, so eight units +, just like the other two posters have said.

You could also review the courses that are offered through MQ and then select a few fallback preferences that are very similar streams to the one you're interested in, but have lower UAI requirements. Internal transfer is significantly more flexible than external ;).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)