Interesting units (1 Viewer)

cheekoo

HSC
Hey all,

I'm looking for some units to take as electives (mainly in Politics/social sciences), that are CHALLENGING and also engaging and interactive. Units where people actually participate actively in tutorials rather than stay quiet? I know that depends entirely on the people taking the course, but I find that I enjoy learning in an environment where people engage with the text intellectually and exchange views, rather than just answer the required questions when called upon.

If you enjoyed any particular unit in the Arts which you actually gained a lot from, pleeeeease let me know! :) Thank you.

ChrisAC

HSC
i did PSY350 one semester ago and i was totally caught off guard because i was after quite the opposite. Im a commerce student and chose it as a people/planet

From the start you are divided into groups of 4 or 5 and you get to know them really well. The tut is very interactive - it takes the form of a "choose your own adventure" kind of activity and the group decides which path to take in, lets say, how to treat a patient or whatever and then at the end of the tut every group makes a presentation on their "adventure" (the tuts are fortnightly 2 hrs). The tut forces participation as each member is forced to be "group leader" on a rotating basis and they lead the group during group discussion on certain parts of the "adventure" and represent the group when the tutor asks for different groups opinions on certain aspects of the "adventure" during the tut.

Interactive and engaging wise i havent done anything else like it (probably cos im a commerce student) but challenging wise im not sure if its what you are after. Its definitely interesting but because its a people/planet its geared towards people who have no idea about psychology so is rather basic in concepts I guess. The final was all multiple choice and rather easy. (which is all relative i guess - i was after a D and only got a CR so i guess u can say its challenging if u want a good grade?? im usually a D student)

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
i did PSY350 one semester ago and i was totally caught off guard because i was after quite the opposite. Im a commerce student and chose it as a people/planet

From the start you are divided into groups of 4 or 5 and you get to know them really well. The tut is very interactive - it takes the form of a "choose your own adventure" kind of activity and the group decides which path to take in, lets say, how to treat a patient or whatever and then at the end of the tut every group makes a presentation on their "adventure" (the tuts are fortnightly 2 hrs). The tut forces participation as each member is forced to be "group leader" on a rotating basis and they lead the group during group discussion on certain parts of the "adventure" and represent the group when the tutor asks for different groups opinions on certain aspects of the "adventure" during the tut.

Interactive and engaging wise i havent done anything else like it (probably cos im a commerce student) but challenging wise im not sure if its what you are after. Its definitely interesting but because its a people/planet its geared towards people who have no idea about psychology so is rather basic in concepts I guess. The final was all multiple choice and rather easy. (which is all relative i guess - i was after a D and only got a CR so i guess u can say its challenging if u want a good grade?? im usually a D student)
wow that sounds interesting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)