• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Unit reviews (1 Viewer)

Nessie96

HSC
Hey guys, I'm a first year student and I am planning to take these units on board next sem. What are your thoughts on AFIN100, ECON110, ECON244 and SOC 182? :)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

crazy_paki123

HSC
Why do AFIN100? I heard thats a unit for ppl who struggled with acst? Anyway im doing econ110 now and its a bitch. Everyone has preferences but i definitly preferred econ111 to econ110. The unit is just annoying rather than hard. Mind you if you didnt do HSC eco i think people will find it challenging

Nessie96

HSC
AFIN is an introduction to finance. I wanted to try it :) (I don't do acst lol!) I did do economics in year 12, I liked macro but hated micro hahah. What parts r most challenging for Macro?

crazy_paki123

HSC
well the concepts arent really too bad tbh. At the start though, i was like wtf is going on with all the PAE equations but got the hang of it. The homeworks are marked pretty harsh imo and are worth 5% EACH, 25% altogether just for hw i mean come on. Its not too bad but good be a LOT better. i got decent in the midsem (78) but the hw pushed my mark down so much. Definitely doing econ203 (micro analysis) for 200 level economics

Nessie96

HSC
yeah thats wot i mean but my friends already doin something like that so i gotta so something diff....
if u hab any other ideas im all ears >.<
Micro and macro will be compulsory for me at all levels :)

Nessie96

HSC
oh no! ewww I hate math :( Is it nice and easy? like basic differentiation?

Nessie96

HSC
oppsy lol my above comment was meant for u @ crazy_paki but I accidentally tagged someone else's comment in it. haha

Nessie96

HSC
well the concepts arent really too bad tbh. At the start though, i was like wtf is going on with all the PAE equations but got the hang of it. The homeworks are marked pretty harsh imo and are worth 5% EACH, 25% altogether just for hw i mean come on. Its not too bad but good be a LOT better. i got decent in the midsem (78) but the hw pushed my mark down so much. Definitely doing econ203 (micro analysis) for 200 level economics
Who's your tute/ lecturer?

crazy_paki123

HSC
dunno about the difficulty of maths in it, doing it next year semester 1.
Never been to a lecture (apart from the midsem lecture). But my lecturer is Stephanie (listen to her lectures too) shes aight, but she drags one topic on to the next week and tends to fall behind which makes us students read the lecture that she didnt get through to do the tute questions with our own insight. And guess what if its wrong its wrong -__- 5% killers those hw questions
My tutor was just as worse some Adebayo guy. He is soooo bad, but then again so are the other econ110 tutes i hear. They dont explain the concepts clearly at all and sometimes i just become even more confused after they try to explain the concept. All i can say is that HSC eco is helping me out big time (should get a D). My friend had no eco knowledge is strrugling to get a CR

Nessie96

HSC
Isn't Michael one of the lecturers/tutes?

Nessie96

HSC
Who's the unit conveyor for macro? Your scaring me! :(

crazy_paki123

HSC
idk about Michael. I know Alison Vicary was suppose to be conveyor for it but she was on leave so we got her. Its usually Alison or a guy... dw about it econ110 is aight its a passing unit but its hard to score high in. Well for me anyway, other people find micro harder than macro

222tracytracy222

HSC
N/A
oh no! ewww I hate math :( Is it nice and easy? like basic differentiation?

Hey Nessie96 - doing econ203 now and no need to freak out :) Its basic differentiation only.

And in case your wondering, the unit is not too difficult. Its basically econ111 with just a bit of calculus. Everything is easy until you start learning about oligopoly which is the 2nd last chapter- its what I'm struggling with atm. The final exam is worth 50% and its possible to get 50/50 for the other assessments. Sitting on 45/100 atm thank god!

crazy_paki123

HSC
Hey Nessie96 - doing econ203 now and no need to freak out :) Its basic differentiation only.

And in case your wondering, the unit is not too difficult. Its basically econ111 with just a bit of calculus. Everything is easy until you start learning about oligopoly which is the 2nd last chapter- its what I'm struggling with atm. The final exam is worth 50% and its possible to get 50/50 for the other assessments. Sitting on 45/100 atm thank god!
Really? Thats good then. Ive heard 203 is hard as fuck. They must maths noobs then. Hey tracytracy have u done econ241 by any chance?

Nessie96

HSC

222tracytracy222

HSC
N/A
Really? Thats good then. Ive heard 203 is hard as fuck. They must maths noobs then. Hey tracytracy have u done econ241 by any chance?
Interesting - I think the thing with economics is your either a macro person or a micro person. I'm totally micro. Did econ204 and did not understand any of it - it just wasnt intuitive (unlike 203) but I still got a D. The final exam was so easy so I got lucky!

203 isnt hard tbh, its very intuitive - its all about common sense but oligopoly is really driving me crazy. You have to learn a couple of different models for oligopoly. But anyways, yes I've done econ241. Its a strange unit - everyone has difficulty at first but then it becomes pretty easy. Its basically STAT170 but with multiple regression which is a joke. My advice is do not get the textbook, and dont bother attending the lectures if the lecturer is Fazeel. I just wanted to strangle him. Also, when you start learning regression, there are a million different formulas in the lecture notes - you will only need to know a couple of them throughout the whole thing.

222tracytracy222

HSC
N/A
Bachelor of economics :) What units r u doing next sem?

Still kind of undecided. Enrolled in mktg303 and 304, astr178 (planet) and econ394 (which I might change). U?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)