Year 12 Actuarial Advice (1 Viewer)

avi888

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

I am currently in year 12 and am looking at doing actl studies, but I head employment is bleak atm?, so what would you guys recommend I do?

Also macq actuarial or nothing :p

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
HSC
Hey guys,

I am currently in year 12 and am looking at doing actl studies, but I heard employment is bleak atm?, so what would you guys recommend I do?

Also macq actuarial or nothing :p
Hey I'm also aiming to do actuarial studies at UNSW. In regards to employment, from my knowledge, i know that your chances of getting a job are higher than getting a job from any other field. I don't think employment is bleak because of the small number of people doing the job.

Better to get opinions from others too.

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
If you get all exemptions (Credit+ in the exemption units generally), you are very likely to get a job.

There were 150 people in the first year acst units (my year)
only 70 people enrolled in acst355 and around half get the exemption lel.
that just 1 out of 8 exemptions :D

gef

HSC
N/A
Hey I'm also aiming to do actuarial studies at UNSW. In regards to employment, from my knowledge, i know that your chances of getting a job are higher than getting a job from any other field. I don't think employment is bleak because of the small number of people doing the job.

Better to get opinions from others too.

Yes, you are right for typical UNSW graduates. Because they double major they are very likely to get a decent to good job in the financial industry.
When you get your professional exemptions you are likely to find an actuarial job. In case you don't, or figure out that actl is not for you, you might want to have a back up plan. An actl is extremely valuable as an add-on to your degree in the financial world, but solely an actl degree not enough to compete with USyd/UNSW/UTS finance graduates. Those people who did not get high grades and only an actl degree are the ones for whom job prospects are bleak. For the ones with good grades and broad financial skills job prospects are probably best in the business field.

zhiying

HSC
If you really want to be an actuary, double major is next to useless unless its a stats major, which can be done at Macq anyway. UNSW probably does provide you a bit more back up in case you want to bail out of actuarial, but really just pick the more convenient one lol.

HSC
I wouldn't say employment is bleak in the sense that mathematicians and actuarial studies graduates are in high demand pretty much anywhere. It doesn't have to be a job in just insurance. You could work for the government, at a bank, as a consultant, etc etc. You DON'T have to be an actuary. Just like most students who get law degrees don't want to be lawyers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)