Mathematics Bridging Course help. (1 Viewer)

TheBigCheen

HSC
So I am doing a course in Macquarie this year and it says that HSC Chemistry and HSC Mathematics are both recommended for said course. Now I did Chemistry in Year 12 so that's fine, but I only did General maths in HSC, so I thought I might have to do this bridging course.

My course starts on the 23rd Feb and the Bridging course starts on the 9th Feb and goes for 10 days, which is 20 1.5 hr train rides to Macquarie and back, for a bridging course. Which TBH, I am more than willing to do, but I just wanna know if it is futile or not.

So I wanna know is this worth it? Will I be better off teaching myself with Khan Academy and such. Has anyone taken the Macq course? Would appreciate any and all assistance.

http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-medical-sciences

Is the course btw, there are only 3 units that are Maths related and like one other unit that has a math prerequisite.

Thanks again.

TheBigCheen

HSC
Oh, I didn't think of that. Anyway the next closest Uni is UTS which only shaves off 30 minutes.

aaaand holy shit does UTS cost wayyy more money for bridging courses, holy shit. 160 for 10 days in macq, 160 for one day in UTS.

I'll look into teaching myself for now.

Silly Sausage

HSC
If you're gonna teach yourself, khan and patrickjmt are all good. There are many other great channels too.
Here's some additional material alfrom usyd: http://sydney.edu.au/stuserv/maths_learning_centre/2unit.shtml

It seems likely that the unit in which has the most maths (apart from maths, which I recommend you do math130) is physics which will likely require you to do some calculus (maybe chemistry too).

You should see if you can take math130 in first semester and phys149 in second semester so you won't have to do much preparation at all for maths.

TheBigCheen

HSC
I see, thanks again for the material.

But what about 132 and 135, will I not have to take the maths there?

Is there also a way to figure out the specific math that will be taught in said courses, I doubt it would cover like, financial maths right?

TheBigCheen

HSC
ohh I see, then it's basically pointless to take the bridging course If I am learning a bunch of useless information.

I'll self teach myself then, also need to learn how this unit stuff works seeing as I don't have to take specific ones.

thanks for that syllabus!

7neoxis1337

HSC
I reckon you should do MATH130 first. If you're good, you can learn the stuff that you are required to know in MATH135 in less than a week through textbooks and khan academy.

medscigirl

HSC
N/A
Hey,
My friend did the bridging course and told me it was really helpful for when he ended up doing his math unit.
I'm doing the same degree (BMedSci) and I'm also going to do the 10 day bridging course for maths. It's always best to learn from a professional!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)