BBE100 or BIOL108? (1 Viewer)

hypna

HSC
I have to choose a planet unit thats not from the faculty of arts as i did that for my people unit.. I am more of a humanities person so I'm a bit worried about these science units. Anyone who has done either or both .. what where your experiences?

buriza

conviction
HSC
I did BBE100 in my first semester last year, I would have to say it was relatively easy, although at times the content got a little boring. This was helped with pretty active lectures and practicals though. Basically there's not that much hard science in BBE100, it's a lot more about remembering theories and such, especially in terms of evolution. Having said that, unless they've changed the content, if you're not that into evolution you probably wouldn't have that great of a time. If you do end up doing this unit, I would definitely suggest doing the past papers, because they helped a lot in terms of preparation. Even so, the exam was fairly simple, I found the commentary assessment harder to do beforehand. There were also other in-class assessments, but because most of them were guided by things you had already done in-class, it wasn't too bad either. So essentially on a whole I would recommended BBE100, coming from a humanities person too. :)

hypna

HSC
I did BBE100 in my first semester last year, I would have to say it was relatively easy, although at times the content got a little boring. This was helped with pretty active lectures and practicals though. Basically there's not that much hard science in BBE100, it's a lot more about remembering theories and such, especially in terms of evolution. Having said that, unless they've changed the content, if you're not that into evolution you probably wouldn't have that great of a time. If you do end up doing this unit, I would definitely suggest doing the past papers, because they helped a lot in terms of preparation. Even so, the exam was fairly simple, I found the commentary assessment harder to do beforehand. There were also other in-class assessments, but because most of them were guided by things you had already done in-class, it wasn't too bad either. So essentially on a whole I would recommended BBE100, coming from a humanities person too. :)
thank you so much for your reply, it definitely makes me feel better cause BBE100 is the one I enrolled in, I was just considering changing it! As for the practicals, what do they usually entail? I never did science in high school so i have no idea what I'm in for!

buriza

conviction
HSC
thank you so much for your reply, it definitely makes me feel better cause BBE100 is the one I enrolled in, I was just considering changing it! As for the practicals, what do they usually entail? I never did science in high school so i have no idea what I'm in for!
Basically in the practicals usually the tutor will extend on the knowledge you learnt in the lectures. Some in-class experiments might also take place, which can be involved in the assessments you have to complete (but really don't worry about this too much, your tutor will help you through it and the assessments always have instructions on what to do). Near the end of the semester, you will start to have quizzes to test your knowledge and help you with the final exam, which is pretty good too since all of them are practice quizzes and they go through all the modules you have learnt about. Generally speaking there's a lot of group work that takes place in the practicals.

hypna

HSC
Basically in the practicals usually the tutor will extend on the knowledge you learnt in the lectures. Some in-class experiments might also take place, which can be involved in the assessments you have to complete (but really don't worry about this too much, your tutor will help you through it and the assessments always have instructions on what to do). Near the end of the semester, you will start to have quizzes to test your knowledge and help you with the final exam, which is pretty good too since all of them are practice quizzes and they go through all the modules you have learnt about. Generally speaking there's a lot of group work that takes place in the practicals.
How did you feel about the group work? Did you get to choose your groups and such or where they decided for you?

buriza

conviction
HSC
How did you feel about the group work? Did you get to choose your groups and such or where they decided for you?
Basically the groups are pretty much decided from the tables you sit at, so the table you sit at for your first practical will likely be your group for the rest of the semester. There's not really much use in choosing your groups anyway because you probably won't know most if not all the people there. I'm not the most social person but I actually enjoyed the group work in these classes, wasn't really that hard and people tended to get along well with each other. I also forgot to say yesterday that you'll probably want to bring your laptop/tablet along in these classes since it's practically required with how much you use the internet for the tasks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)