Question on LLB drop outs (1 Viewer)

SmilingFace777

HSC
Hi I need some help accepting the offer most suitable for me. I have been offered a place at UNSW for BCom and at Macquarie for LLB/BCom, I have researched about the pros and cons of each of these options and decided that Macquarie is the better option for me.

The only remaining question is that I heard/searched that it is not rare for students to drop out of Macquarie during the 4th and 5th year of their law degrees, is this true? I wish to know this because if I realize half way through my degreee that law isnt really for me and I drop that part out I would be left with only a Commerce degree and if that is the case I would be better off accepting the offer from UNSW instead. I got lucky and scored alright in HSC but if the drop out rate for 4th and 5th year law student is high I am not sure can I persevere or not. If anyone has any knowledge on this matter please help me out, thank you!

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
It depends, how interested are you in pursuing a law degree? A law degree isn't what it used to be, it isn't as secure and high paying as it was 20-30 years ago. Also, whilst its useful for other areas outside of the legal professional, I think this is overstated. Unless you want to work in management consulting a law degree is just a nice to have. Very rarely is it going to give you an edge over other candidates especially in this day and age where experience and skills are King. By all means, if becoming a Lawyer is your passion stick with it, but if you are doing it for money, prestige or job security, you're better off with just a business degree. I started out with Law for foolish reasons and dropped out at the beginning of my third year. It was the best thing I ever did, I got into the workplace and started pulling a FT wage much faster.

SmilingFace777

HSC
Thank you for your response enoilgam. I understand a law degree do not offer much advantages for jobs that do not require legal knowledge. However, I am genuinely interested in law and would pursue a legal carreer if given the chance, I would have picked a pure law degree if my grades were good enough. That being said I do not know whether or not will I think the same few years later since the degree requires me to study 5 years full time, that is why I am concerned about how many students made it throguh and if I am not as interested in law as I am now is the probability of failing units high. Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)