Applying to MQU while suspended at UNSW (1 Viewer)

Amayataiyou

HSC
In the past few semesters, due to a few reasons, I have failed 1-2 subjects every sem leading to an academic standing of suspension for 1 year at UNSW. After this result, I realised that the course I'm currently studying is really just not the right course for me, whether it'll be the workload or the actual content. So after some serious thinking and questioning of my life choices, I have decided to apply for a new course at a different uni, something which I know I will do well and work hard in. But because of my suspension status, I was wondering if I am able to apply for the course I want at MQU at this current stage, or will I have to wait for my suspension year to end before applying. Also, does MQU consider ATAR as a selection criteria even after having completed one year of full time study at uni? Thanks guys.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Not completely sure if I am right... but here goes.

Just apply through UAC. You will [likely] get an offer if you have gotten the required ATAR.

You can probably apply for RPL for units have completed and not failed.

I know UNSW obviously won't consider you for any other courses [or even take a student from another university on if they have academic suspensions] - this is on their UAC information sheet. On MQ uni's info sheet it doesn't say.

If you're worried, call the MQ Uni up to confirm.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't believe there is anything preventing you from applying through the UAC to Macquarie University while suspended.

HOWEVER I disagree with InsoulvencyReaper on one key point. Even if you had the required ATAR, because you have completed more than year of study, your GPA/WAM and academic performance is considered instead.

Suspension for a year means you've failed over 50% of your subjects for at least 3 semesters, yes? While you were on probation and conditional enrolment, you still failed half your classes. I'm guessing you probably just scraped through on the others. These will come up on your transcript, and these will effect your application when it comes through UAC.

You may be able to write a personal statement explaining how you struggled with your course because you didn't enjoy it or whatever and have that considered, but honestly, looking through your post history and seeing you've transferred courses before and still haven't improved, I'm not sure it will make much difference.

Personally, take the 1 year suspension to actually figure out your shit. Don't just transfer because things got too hard somewhere else. I know what it's like to not enjoy what i'm studying and to struggle. How are you be so certain that this new course is for you and what you want to study? Failing subjects isn't the end of the world, but not enjoying the content isn't usually the underlying cause.

Go get a job for a year, work hard, get some perspective, and then re-apply to a new university through UAC at the end of that year. You can't just bounce around from degree to degree until you scrape through with a pass eventually. You'll have a HECs debt you won't be able to repay and an awful transcript where nobody wants to employ you.

Get perspective, get experience, get your life together, then re-assess if transferring to another course is the best path for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)