Anyone going to study applied finance or actuarial studies this year? (1 Viewer)

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

My name is Ben and I've been accepted into Applied Finance/Actuarial Studies at Macquarie Uni for 2017! I was just wondering if anyone else on boredofstudies was doing either of the degrees and maybe wanted to chat/form a study group or something. I don't know anyone studying either of these courses at mq and was hoping to meet some new people and make some friends (fk I sound pathetic lol).

Anyways please feel free to post below and chat!

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey there Ben!

Welcome to Macquarie! On the general discussion thread there are a few more of us Macquarie have been talking about having a meet up once classes start (specifically this was my idea so I really should get on planning it!). You'd be more than welcome to join us once that happens.

I'm not sure if we've got anyone else doing the same combination as you, but there's a few new and existing students studying applied finance so you might be able to join a study group with them.

Feel free to come and join us on the general discussion. We're a friendly group and more than happy to see new students joining Macquarie this year! :)

v1

HSC
Join the actuarial society, you'll make friends there. (btw you might seriously think about changing your secondary to science or single degree because any job u can get with applied finance you can get with actuarial studies, stats/maths science double gives u advantage in more quantitative roles)

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the tip

I've joined assoc already and they seem really inviting and am looking forward to it. Tbh thanks for the advice but I worked really hard to get where I am and I am going to whole-heartedly pursue becoming an Actuary. I feel by doing applied finance/actuarial course @ mq I am able to get my part 1 and 2's ASAP. However I realise the difficulty of the course and feel that whilst you may think finance is too similiar, I feel as though it is a useful complement and if for some reason I am unable to accomplish this then I have finance as a back up.

Sorry if I've seemed to ignore your advice, but I've planned this for a couple of years and it has been my motivation through some challenging times and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)