Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Bonus Points?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    435
    Rep Power
    1

    Bonus Points?

    Can you be eligible for any bonus points if you want to a double law degree?

  2. #2
    Meow meow meow meow meow? ilikecats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    HSC
    2011
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    999
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Bonus Points?

    From https://www.mq.edu.au/study/high-sch...y/bonus-points

    You can receive a maximum of 6 bonus points combined across the five schemes (EAS, Rural Bonus etc) for Bachelor of Laws or any Law double degrees.

    So yes, you can, but it is a maximum of 6 points
    Macquarie University
    Bachelor of Science
    Business Information Systems
    Might actually finish in 2017

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    435
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Bonus Points?

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikecats View Post
    From https://www.mq.edu.au/study/high-sch...y/bonus-points

    You can receive a maximum of 6 bonus points combined across the five schemes (EAS, Rural Bonus etc) for Bachelor of Laws or any Law double degrees.

    So yes, you can, but it is a maximum of 6 points
    Oh wow, thanks, can't believe I get 5 for being regional...

  4. #4
    Junior Member BenHowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    218
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Bonus Points?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    Oh wow, thanks, can't believe I get 5 for being regional...
    Ikr... It's pretty generous. I personally think 5 is too much. Maybe like 2 at max, but got me into my course
    Last edited by BenHowe; 26 Feb 2017 at 5:40 PM.
    1st Year BAppFinBActStud @ MQ

  5. #5
    Cadet LightOfTheSeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Bonus Points?

    Back in 2012, I remember the maximum being 5 points. I think, overall bonus points are a beneficial thing. The problem is that everyone is applying for them, so the point of EAS which was to help students who had faced difficulty get into uni.... is now becoming pointless. My high school kind of discouraged people from applying for EAS, because 70% of the students had applied. My year getting yelled at was bad, because I knew for a fact that some people in my year really needed those points, even if they made up the minority. The whole process was incredibly uncomfortable and awkward. If the parents knew, there would be phones ringing all day...

    Anyway, moving on.

    Bonus points can be good, for very specific courses like design and fashion textiles. People keep telling me Design Technology scales badly, and if UTS is seriously asking for an ATAR in the high 90s then bonus points are completely reasonable for those who get band 5 and 6s in that subject.

    As for rural areas, I'll admit that 5 is alot of points. But if its to get into general degrees such as Arts, Science and Commerce I don't really have a problem.

    There's no shame in getting bonus points and using them, but the average year twelve student should have the maturity to assess whether or not they actually need them and at a point of disadvantage, or if they just want convenience.

  6. #6
    Junior Member BenHowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    218
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Bonus Points?

    Quote Originally Posted by LightOfTheSeven View Post
    Back in 2012, I remember the maximum being 5 points. I think, overall bonus points are a beneficial thing. The problem is that everyone is applying for them, so the point of EAS which was to help students who had faced difficulty get into uni.... is now becoming pointless. My high school kind of discouraged people from applying for EAS, because 70% of the students had applied. My year getting yelled at was bad, because I knew for a fact that some people in my year really needed those points, even if they made up the minority. The whole process was incredibly uncomfortable and awkward. If the parents knew, there would be phones ringing all day...

    Anyway, moving on.

    Bonus points can be good, for very specific courses like design and fashion textiles. People keep telling me Design Technology scales badly, and if UTS is seriously asking for an ATAR in the high 90s then bonus points are completely reasonable for those who get band 5 and 6s in that subject.

    As for rural areas, I'll admit that 5 is alot of points. But if its to get into general degrees such as Arts, Science and Commerce I don't really have a problem.

    There's no shame in getting bonus points and using them, but the average year twelve student should have the maturity to assess whether or not they actually need them and at a point of disadvantage, or if they just want convenience.
    Tbh I think I disagree with you. Bonus points are there for a reason, they allow people who satisfy some relevant criteria to tertiary study gain admission. For example I think that if I attended a school where I was supported, they offer accelerated classes, had a teacher who had taught mx1/mx2 before, not lived rurally and some other reasons that I don't feel comfortable discussing, I would've got a higher ATAR. Bonus points just try to account for the differences in opportunity.

    I also don't think it's fair to differentiate degrees that certain bonus points are illegible for. Perhaps you might consider MQ not to be a top level uni and that they subsequently offer too many concessions and thus decrease the quality of course candidature. If you ignore mq for a second and look at perhaps one of the most 'prestigious' courses, for example, law at usyd. Ignoring the fact they are a money-making machine with a 5 point discrepancy between domestic and international students because the fees for international students are appoximately 4 times more than international students, the ATAR for EAS entry to combined law is only 95. This is higher then the ATAR for international students. In all honesty, unis are BUSINESSES not services, and as such, whatever decision or concession they offer is for their gain, not yours. So I would say bonus points allow a few disadvantaged people to get into uni, even in top tier courses (please excuse the elitism) such as law or medicine, but this is just for corporate image and from speaking with academics across a few universities, they find that students who have experienced a form of disadvantage at highschool, often thrive and are on par if not out perform other students who had higher ATARS.

    Regardless of your opinion on bonus points, I think that they are important as they provide a sense of equity to those who have experienced a form or forms of disadvantage and thus struggle to gain admission in a failing secondary and tertiary education system.

    Sorry, it just pisses me off when you experience life and people's response is "shit happens". These issues are often beyond and individuals control and it's for the very reason that "shit happens" that people need support and guidance to navigate through these difficulties, to ultimately become content and reach their potential.
    Last edited by BenHowe; 26 Feb 2017 at 7:26 PM.
    1st Year BAppFinBActStud @ MQ

  7. #7
    Cadet LightOfTheSeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Bonus Points?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenHowe View Post
    Tbh I think I disagree with you. Bonus points are there for a reason, they allow people who satisfy some relevant criteria to tertiary study gain admission. For example I think that if I attended a school where I was supported, they offer accelerated classes, had a teacher who had taught mx1/mx2 before, not lived rurally and some other reasons that I don't feel comfortable discussing, I would've got a higher ATAR. Bonus points just try to account for the differences in opportunity.

    I also don't think it's fair to differentiate degrees that certain bonus points are illegible for. Perhaps you might consider MQ not to be a top level uni and that they subsequently offer too many concessions and thus decrease the quality of course candidature. If you ignore mq for a second and look at perhaps one of the most 'prestigious' courses, for example, law at usyd. Ignoring the fact they are a money-making machine with a 5 point discrepancy between domestic and international students because the fees for international students are appoximately 4 times more than international students, the ATAR for EAS entry to combined law is only 95. This is higher then the ATAR for international students. In all honesty, unis are BUSINESSES not services, and as such, whatever decision or concession they offer is for their gain, not yours. So I would say bonus points allow a few disadvantaged people to get into uni, even in top tier courses (please excuse the elitism) such as law or medicine, but this is just for corporate image and from speaking with academics across a few universities, they find that students who have experienced a form of disadvantage at highschool, often thrive and are on par if not out perform other students who had higher ATARS.

    Regardless of your opinion on bonus points, I think that they are important as they provide a sense of equity to those who have experienced a form or forms of disadvantage and thus struggle to gain admission in a failing secondary and tertiary education system.

    Sorry, it just pisses me off when you experience life and people's response is "shit happens". These issues are often beyond and individuals control and it's for the very reason that "shit happens" that people need support and guidance to navigate through these difficulties, to ultimately become content and reach their potential.
    You've got me wrong. I actually applied for bonus points, and was incredibly pissed off at my high school. I hated high school, I hated its attitude especially towards students who had faced hardship. Not once did I say that I supported or agreed with my high school. Not once. There is no need for you to explain why bonus points are needed, I myself had to get them because I am disabled. I think we are actually on the same page, because I would never attack someone getting bonus points. I am not a 'shit happens' individual. Not like that, at all. I actually am incredibly supportive of bonus points- but the system has been abused by alot of well off high schools. In fact, UAC are more likely to get more applicants for EAS from wealthy schools with resources than poor schools. Which in turn, makes it alot more difficult for students with actual difficulties in achieving those points. I think that should change.

    And I consider MQ to be an absolutely terrific university from what I've seen. I'm not a snob who looks down on it- I chose Macquarie for a reason (like how you did as well). I am proud to go to a university that gives out bonus points, and has numerous ways for admission. Hell, I didn't use my ATAR, I used one of its pathways (STAT and Open Universities). So please don't assume shit about me.

    With rural, I think schools should be based individually. For some schools, 5 is too much- for some schools, 5 is too little. It's based on the school's circumstances. UAC should be professional and actually take the time to analyze. I personally despise our universities admissions scheme. I was vague in my original post, but there is absolutely no way I support it.

    I'm for bonus points- on a situation by situation basis. I'd gladly give bonus points and assistance to many students even for courses such as law.

    I do think we actually agree with each other that bonus points are needed. I was never, not once attacking people who seeked them out.

  8. #8
    Meow meow meow meow meow? ilikecats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    HSC
    2011
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    999
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Bonus Points?

    Guys please don't get all worked up over this.

    I'm glad to see your both passionate about this topic, but there is no sense in writing out more large blocks of text just in case it's misinterpreted again. Accidents happen, we're all human and let's leave it at that!

    I have a feeling both of you going to go really well at any critical analysis tasks though.
    Macquarie University
    Bachelor of Science
    Business Information Systems
    Might actually finish in 2017

  9. #9
    Cadet LightOfTheSeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Bonus Points?

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikecats View Post
    Guys please don't get all worked up over this.

    I'm glad to see your both passionate about this topic, but there is no sense in writing out more large blocks of text just in case it's misinterpreted again. Accidents happen, we're all human and let's leave it at that!

    I have a feeling both of you going to go really well at any critical analysis tasks though.
    I do think BenHowe and I agree with each other. But I apologize to him, I just reread my response and it is a bit too passionate and critical even by my standards. I was stressed, but that's no excuse. It's not my intention to get people worried or upset. EAS is a very personal issue, I think.

    I'm sure you are right about critical analysis tasks, haha. I wish Ben luck with his studies, I'm sure he'll do well.

  10. #10
    Junior Member BenHowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    218
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Bonus Points?

    Quote Originally Posted by LightOfTheSeven View Post
    You've got me wrong. I actually applied for bonus points, and was incredibly pissed off at my high school. I hated high school, I hated its attitude especially towards students who had faced hardship. Not once did I say that I supported or agreed with my high school. Not once. There is no need for you to explain why bonus points are needed, I myself had to get them because I am disabled. I think we are actually on the same page, because I would never attack someone getting bonus points. I am not a 'shit happens' individual. Not like that, at all. I actually am incredibly supportive of bonus points- but the system has been abused by alot of well off high schools. In fact, UAC are more likely to get more applicants for EAS from wealthy schools with resources than poor schools. Which in turn, makes it alot more difficult for students with actual difficulties in achieving those points. I think that should change.

    And I consider MQ to be an absolutely terrific university from what I've seen. I'm not a snob who looks down on it- I chose Macquarie for a reason (like how you did as well). I am proud to go to a university that gives out bonus points, and has numerous ways for admission. Hell, I didn't use my ATAR, I used one of its pathways (STAT and Open Universities). So please don't assume shit about me.

    With rural, I think schools should be based individually. For some schools, 5 is too much- for some schools, 5 is too little. It's based on the school's circumstances. UAC should be professional and actually take the time to analyze. I personally despise our universities admissions scheme. I was vague in my original post, but there is absolutely no way I support it.

    I'm for bonus points- on a situation by situation basis. I'd gladly give bonus points and assistance to many students even for courses such as law.

    I do think we actually agree with each other that bonus points are needed. I was never, not once attacking people who seeked them out.
    Yeah I suppose I over-reacted too, but anyways I'll leave it at that. Btw I only chose macquarie because I wanted to do actuarial in NSW, they allow you to get part 2 exemptions in a undergaduate degree but unsw dont and I also have family members living close. I don't really care about their perceived or lack thereof presteige. They must've done something right to become accredited by the relevant industry body, Actuary Institute.
    1st Year BAppFinBActStud @ MQ

  11. #11
    Cadet LightOfTheSeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Bonus Points?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenHowe View Post
    Yeah I suppose I over-reacted too, but anyways I'll leave it at that. Btw I only chose macquarie because I wanted to do actuarial in NSW, they allow you to get part 2 exemptions in a undergaduate degree but unsw dont and I also have family members living close. I don't really care about their perceived or lack thereof presteige. They must've done something right to become accredited by the relevant industry body, Actuary Institute.
    We'll leave it at that. 'prestige' didn't play a role in my decision, but knowing people who went to Macquarie and had a good time helped my decision. Plus, its close just a simple walk and a bus for me. You don't need a huge, epic reason to pick a uni, imo- the important thing is that you know what is required of you. I don't know much about Acturial, but I know accrediation is crucial. Looks like you are on the right path!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    435
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Bonus Points?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenHowe View Post
    Tbh I think I disagree with you. Bonus points are there for a reason, they allow people who satisfy some relevant criteria to tertiary study gain admission. For example I think that if I attended a school where I was supported, they offer accelerated classes, had a teacher who had taught mx1/mx2 before, not lived rurally and some other reasons that I don't feel comfortable discussing, I would've got a higher ATAR. Bonus points just try to account for the differences in opportunity.

    I also don't think it's fair to differentiate degrees that certain bonus points are illegible for. Perhaps you might consider MQ not to be a top level uni and that they subsequently offer too many concessions and thus decrease the quality of course candidature. If you ignore mq for a second and look at perhaps one of the most 'prestigious' courses, for example, law at usyd. Ignoring the fact they are a money-making machine with a 5 point discrepancy between domestic and international students because the fees for international students are appoximately 4 times more than international students, the ATAR for EAS entry to combined law is only 95. This is higher then the ATAR for international students. In all honesty, unis are BUSINESSES not services, and as such, whatever decision or concession they offer is for their gain, not yours. So I would say bonus points allow a few disadvantaged people to get into uni, even in top tier courses (please excuse the elitism) such as law or medicine, but this is just for corporate image and from speaking with academics across a few universities, they find that students who have experienced a form of disadvantage at highschool, often thrive and are on par if not out perform other students who had higher ATARS.

    Regardless of your opinion on bonus points, I think that they are important as they provide a sense of equity to those who have experienced a form or forms of disadvantage and thus struggle to gain admission in a failing secondary and tertiary education system.

    Sorry, it just pisses me off when you experience life and people's response is "shit happens". These issues are often beyond and individuals control and it's for the very reason that "shit happens" that people need support and guidance to navigate through these difficulties, to ultimately become content and reach their potential.
    I agree but then I think bonus points should be awarded on situation rather than generalisation of race/location. I mean, just because someone is rural doesn't mean they're worse off and some people really are disadvantaged due to being rural. Therefore, it's unfair for both cases to get bonus points and they're not serving their true purpose. Likewise, not all indigenous or certain race people are disadvantaged due to being a part of this demographic and therefore it's unfair to base bonus points on generalisations/stereotypes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •