referencing question (1 Viewer)

tylee

HSC
I'm a first year student struggling with my essay i have due... If i'm writing a paragraph on something i learnt from the lectures or something i briefly read over the internet, do i need to reference it?
because i remember one of my tutorial classes said i shouldn't use websites for my writing because it's not academic?

so now i'm confused on how should i reference something like that???
e.g. if i were to talk about milk
milk comes from cows, it is healthy.

like it's just assumed knowledge???

can someone explain when to reference something? :spzz:

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
mainly use references to support your argument

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
If its common sense you probably don't need to reference it. If it's your own critical thinking or analysis again you don't need to reference it. But as a rule of thumb try reference as much as you can as it adds credibility to your argument.

You can reference the lecture, ask the convenor how to do that. You can reference normal websites but depending on the subject try and get most references from reputable sources e.g academic journals, books, the wall street journal, australian financial review, abs, reports from organisations

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
If its common sense you probably don't need to reference it. If it's your own critical thinking or analysis again you don't need to reference it. But as a rule of thumb try reference as much as you can as it adds credibility to your argument.

You can reference the lecture, ask the convenor how to do that. You can reference normal websites but depending on the subject try and get most references from reputable sources e.g academic journals, books, the wall street journal, australian financial review, abs, reports from organisations
>reputable
>uses newspapers

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a first year student struggling with my essay i have due... If i'm writing a paragraph on something i learnt from the lectures or something i briefly read over the internet, do i need to reference it?
because i remember one of my tutorial classes said i shouldn't use websites for my writing because it's not academic?

Try to get a peer reviewed journal article saying that.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

What's the subject?

tylee

HSC
http://imgur.com/a/OZEv8
this is a sample essay i found on think swap but i honestly dont understand if this person did it correctly? like i would've thrown references a reference for every paragraph

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
so i should be using google scholar??

education ;-;
yep that is ur best friend + ur library search

takes a while getting used to an education writing style but basically ensure ur logic flows nicely and whatever you say is backed up by research, as well as any considerations

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Use the MQ library multisearch to find sources. You won't have any access restrictions then.

So your milk comes from cows, is it healthy example you'd say:

"Many arguments state that cows milk is a good source of vitamins necessary to keep humans healthy. Asurname and Brown (2013/ the year of publication) show evidence that just 5ml of milk per day makes you stronger. Smith and Jones (1999) concluded that milk is the best source of calcium for adults). Therefore it can be concluded milk is an essential part of the diet of a healthy adult".

Then in your bibliography you write the full harvard/APA/whatever style reference they want for each source you just talked about.

I have found lecturers do not like you using lecture material as a source. Textbooks are okay, but slides are not. Obviously common knowledge like "milk comes from cows" is not something you should reference, but if you are making an argument or a statement, you need to go online, find (ideally) a peer reviewed journal or another reputable source and cite it as such.

OP if you are still struggling then approach your lecturer, tutor, unit coordinator or whomever is available during consultation time. They'd rather help you get it right the first time than penalise you because you didn't ask for help.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I used Zotero to help me with creating a reference list, it's made the process a lot quicker. You just need to fill in blanks or edit some stuff because the format is not perfect.

You install an extension and click it if you're going to reference it at least once, then it's added to a library kind of thing. When you're done, highlight them all and drag it into your word doc, and voila.

Usually in-text citations are just (Author Date), (Author et al. Date), and when you see a weird source that's not a paper or an article, look through the UniSA guide and see how to reference it. If it's not there, I look for it in the USyd guide, or other ones.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I used Zotero to help me with creating a reference list, it's made the process a lot quicker. You just need to fill in blanks or edit some stuff because the format is not perfect.

You install an extension and click it if you're going to reference it at least once, then it's added to a library kind of thing. When you're done, highlight them all and drag it into your word doc, and voila.

Usually in-text citations are just (Author Date), (Author et al. Date), and when you see a weird source that's not a paper or an article, look through the UniSA guide and see how to reference it. If it's not there, I look for it in the USyd guide, or other ones.
I use "citethisforme"

tylee

HSC
i another question ;-;

if i use a different reference per sentence how would i put the in text citation?
eg. fact 1 (from wiki). fact 2 (from google). fact 3( from wiki)
like would i have to in text cite it like that?

also if you used two sources in a sentence would you insert two in text citation???

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
i another question ;-;

if i use a different reference per sentence how would i put the in text citation?
eg. fact 1 (from wiki). fact 2 (from google). fact 3( from wiki)
like would i have to in text cite it like that?

also if you used two sources in a sentence would you insert two in text citation???
yes and yes

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I think your conflating ideal with what's acceptable. Ideally you should use peer reviewed journal articles. But for a lot of topics, particularly in some fields e.g accounting or finance, finding peer reviewed journal articles can be hard so using reputable newspapers such as the wall street journal (the exact newspaper quoted by Yale and USyd) is okay.

lol no one is saying use Sydney Morning Herald or the Baulkham Hills shire local paper or any newspaper, as proven certain reliable newspapers are acceptable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)