Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: referencing question

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    2

    referencing question

    I'm a first year student struggling with my essay i have due... If i'm writing a paragraph on something i learnt from the lectures or something i briefly read over the internet, do i need to reference it?
    because i remember one of my tutorial classes said i shouldn't use websites for my writing because it's not academic?

    so now i'm confused on how should i reference something like that???
    e.g. if i were to talk about milk
    milk comes from cows, it is healthy.

    like it's just assumed knowledge???

    can someone explain when to reference something?

  2. #2
    Yogurt RenegadeMx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,233
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: referencing question

    mainly use references to support your argument



    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not


    ~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

  3. #3
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,114
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: referencing question

    if ur gonna turnitin then make sure u cite it

  4. #4
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: referencing question

    If its common sense you probably don't need to reference it. If it's your own critical thinking or analysis again you don't need to reference it. But as a rule of thumb try reference as much as you can as it adds credibility to your argument.

    You can reference the lecture, ask the convenor how to do that. You can reference normal websites but depending on the subject try and get most references from reputable sources e.g academic journals, books, the wall street journal, australian financial review, abs, reports from organisations
    tylee likes this.

  5. #5
    Yogurt RenegadeMx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,233
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: referencing question

    Quote Originally Posted by thor1990 View Post
    If its common sense you probably don't need to reference it. If it's your own critical thinking or analysis again you don't need to reference it. But as a rule of thumb try reference as much as you can as it adds credibility to your argument.

    You can reference the lecture, ask the convenor how to do that. You can reference normal websites but depending on the subject try and get most references from reputable sources e.g academic journals, books, the wall street journal, australian financial review, abs, reports from organisations
    >reputable
    >uses newspapers
    KingOfActing likes this.



    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not


    ~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

  6. #6
    The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    9,035
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: referencing question

    Quote Originally Posted by tylee View Post
    I'm a first year student struggling with my essay i have due... If i'm writing a paragraph on something i learnt from the lectures or something i briefly read over the internet, do i need to reference it?
    because i remember one of my tutorial classes said i shouldn't use websites for my writing because it's not academic?

    so now i'm confused on how should i reference something like that???
    e.g. if i were to talk about milk
    milk comes from cows, it is healthy.

    like it's just assumed knowledge???

    can someone explain when to reference something?
    Try to get a peer reviewed journal article saying that.
    Non scholæ sed vitæ discimus

    Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Voting starts soon don't forget to vote in the the postal plebiscite!
    + Local elections are coming!
    Check your AEC enrollment address today : http://www.aec.gov.au/enrol/
    Turning 18 before November the 7th? You are eligible to vote!

  7. #7
    The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    9,035
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: referencing question

    Quote Originally Posted by tylee View Post
    I'm a first year student struggling with my essay i have due... If i'm writing a paragraph on something i learnt from the lectures or something i briefly read over the internet, do i need to reference it?
    because i remember one of my tutorial classes said i shouldn't use websites for my writing because it's not academic?

    so now i'm confused on how should i reference something like that???
    e.g. if i were to talk about milk
    milk comes from cows, it is healthy.

    like it's just assumed knowledge???

    can someone explain when to reference something?
    What's the subject?
    Non scholæ sed vitæ discimus

    Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Voting starts soon don't forget to vote in the the postal plebiscite!
    + Local elections are coming!
    Check your AEC enrollment address today : http://www.aec.gov.au/enrol/
    Turning 18 before November the 7th? You are eligible to vote!

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: referencing question

    Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    Try to get a peer reviewed journal article saying that.
    so i should be using google scholar??

    Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    What's the subject?
    education ;-;

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: referencing question

    http://imgur.com/a/OZEv8
    this is a sample essay i found on think swap but i honestly dont understand if this person did it correctly? like i would've thrown references a reference for every paragraph

  10. #10
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,114
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: referencing question

    Quote Originally Posted by tylee View Post
    so i should be using google scholar??


    education ;-;
    Yes

  11. #11
    Yogurt RenegadeMx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,233
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: referencing question

    Quote Originally Posted by tylee View Post
    so i should be using google scholar??


    education ;-;
    yep that is ur best friend + ur library search

    takes a while getting used to an education writing style but basically ensure ur logic flows nicely and whatever you say is backed up by research, as well as any considerations
    tylee likes this.



    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not


    ~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

  12. #12
    Meow meow meow meow meow? ilikecats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    HSC
    2011
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    999
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: referencing question

    Use the MQ library multisearch to find sources. You won't have any access restrictions then.

    So your milk comes from cows, is it healthy example you'd say:

    "Many arguments state that cows milk is a good source of vitamins necessary to keep humans healthy. Asurname and Brown (2013/ the year of publication) show evidence that just 5ml of milk per day makes you stronger. Smith and Jones (1999) concluded that milk is the best source of calcium for adults). Therefore it can be concluded milk is an essential part of the diet of a healthy adult".

    Then in your bibliography you write the full harvard/APA/whatever style reference they want for each source you just talked about.

    I have found lecturers do not like you using lecture material as a source. Textbooks are okay, but slides are not. Obviously common knowledge like "milk comes from cows" is not something you should reference, but if you are making an argument or a statement, you need to go online, find (ideally) a peer reviewed journal or another reputable source and cite it as such.

    OP if you are still struggling then approach your lecturer, tutor, unit coordinator or whomever is available during consultation time. They'd rather help you get it right the first time than penalise you because you didn't ask for help.
    BLIT2014 and tylee like this.
    Macquarie University
    Bachelor of Science
    Business Information Systems
    Might actually finish in 2017

  13. #13
    Tafe Advocate ProdigyInspired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    592
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: referencing question

    I used Zotero to help me with creating a reference list, it's made the process a lot quicker. You just need to fill in blanks or edit some stuff because the format is not perfect.

    You install an extension and click it if you're going to reference it at least once, then it's added to a library kind of thing. When you're done, highlight them all and drag it into your word doc, and voila.

    Usually in-text citations are just (Author Date), (Author et al. Date), and when you see a weird source that's not a paper or an article, look through the UniSA guide and see how to reference it. If it's not there, I look for it in the USyd guide, or other ones.
    Last edited by ProdigyInspired; 20 Apr 2017 at 7:11 PM.
    BLIT2014 likes this.
    Bachelor of Applied Finance and Bachelor of Commerce (Professional Accounting) at MQ.

    HSC 2016: English Advanced, Math 3U, Math 4U, Chemistry, Business Studies

  14. #14
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: referencing question

    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMx View Post
    >reputable
    >uses newspapers
    http://writesite.elearn.usyd.edu.au/...2/m2u2s2_1.htm

    > University of Sydney
    > uses newspapers

  15. #15
    The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    9,035
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: referencing question

    Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyInspired View Post
    I used Zotero to help me with creating a reference list, it's made the process a lot quicker. You just need to fill in blanks or edit some stuff because the format is not perfect.

    You install an extension and click it if you're going to reference it at least once, then it's added to a library kind of thing. When you're done, highlight them all and drag it into your word doc, and voila.

    Usually in-text citations are just (Author Date), (Author et al. Date), and when you see a weird source that's not a paper or an article, look through the UniSA guide and see how to reference it. If it's not there, I look for it in the USyd guide, or other ones.
    I use "citethisforme"
    Non scholæ sed vitæ discimus

    Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Voting starts soon don't forget to vote in the the postal plebiscite!
    + Local elections are coming!
    Check your AEC enrollment address today : http://www.aec.gov.au/enrol/
    Turning 18 before November the 7th? You are eligible to vote!

  16. #16
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: referencing question

    i another question ;-;

    if i use a different reference per sentence how would i put the in text citation?
    eg. fact 1 (from wiki). fact 2 (from google). fact 3( from wiki)
    like would i have to in text cite it like that?

    also if you used two sources in a sentence would you insert two in text citation???
    Last edited by tylee; 21 Apr 2017 at 1:58 PM.

  17. #17
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,114
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: referencing question

    Quote Originally Posted by tylee View Post
    i another question ;-;

    if i use a different reference per sentence how would i put the in text citation?
    eg. fact 1 (from wiki). fact 2 (from google). fact 3( from wiki)
    like would i have to in text cite it like that?

    also if you used two sources in a sentence would you insert two in text citation???
    yes and yes

  18. #18
    Yogurt RenegadeMx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,233
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: referencing question

    Quote Originally Posted by thor1990 View Post
    http://writesite.elearn.usyd.edu.au/...2/m2u2s2_1.htm

    > University of Sydney
    > uses newspapers
    lol if u ever reference newspaper in an academic essay your just shooting yourself in the foot, but keep talking trash



    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not


    ~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

  19. #19
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: referencing question

    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMx View Post
    lol if u ever reference newspaper in an academic essay your just shooting yourself in the foot, but keep talking trash
    lol you're adorable

    http://ctl.yale.edu/writing/using-so...opular-sources

    >Yale University
    > Uses newspapers
    Last edited by thor1990; 21 Apr 2017 at 4:44 PM.

  20. #20
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: referencing question

    I think your conflating ideal with what's acceptable. Ideally you should use peer reviewed journal articles. But for a lot of topics, particularly in some fields e.g accounting or finance, finding peer reviewed journal articles can be hard so using reputable newspapers such as the wall street journal (the exact newspaper quoted by Yale and USyd) is okay.

    lol no one is saying use Sydney Morning Herald or the Baulkham Hills shire local paper or any newspaper, as proven certain reliable newspapers are acceptable.
    ilikecats likes this.

  21. #21
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,114
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: referencing question

    also op depends on what style you are using but in general that's how you do it

  22. #22
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: referencing question

    Question ;^;

    if i'm write like 2 or more sentence from the same reference do i have to in text cite it every time?
    fact 1 (google). fact 2 (google). fact 3 (google).

  23. #23
    Tafe Advocate ProdigyInspired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    592
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: referencing question

    Nah, you do it like a conjunction kind of thing. So you would say, like "Google also says..."
    Bachelor of Applied Finance and Bachelor of Commerce (Professional Accounting) at MQ.

    HSC 2016: English Advanced, Math 3U, Math 4U, Chemistry, Business Studies

  24. #24
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,114
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: referencing question

    Quote Originally Posted by tylee View Post
    Question ;^;

    if i'm write like 2 or more sentence from the same reference do i have to in text cite it every time?
    fact 1 (google). fact 2 (google). fact 3 (google).
    no you put it at the end of the last sentence that you took from that source. Unless there are any other sources inbetween.

  25. #25
    Yogurt RenegadeMx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,233
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: referencing question

    Quote Originally Posted by thor1990 View Post
    I think your conflating ideal with what's acceptable. Ideally you should use peer reviewed journal articles. But for a lot of topics, particularly in some fields e.g accounting or finance, finding peer reviewed journal articles can be hard so using reputable newspapers such as the wall street journal (the exact newspaper quoted by Yale and USyd) is okay.

    lol no one is saying use Sydney Morning Herald or the Baulkham Hills shire local paper or any newspaper, as proven certain reliable newspapers are acceptable.
    nice shilling, keep promoting your fake news



    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not


    ~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •