Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LightOfTheSeven

Thread: Is Macquarie Uni good?

HSC

Is Macquarie Uni good?

Hi all!

I am thinking of going to Macquarie Uni next year to study Accounting. Although I have heard some really bad reviews about the uni. Can anyone give me their experience of the uni?

Thanks

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Is Macquarie Uni good?

Maybe also try posting here as well may get more responses.
    MQ Chatter Thread

Professional Accounting degree is decent, as it means that you meet "" the tertiary education requirements of CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ), the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA)."

I've found the uni alright so far. No trisemester's which is great, however the train line is getting closed down next year, so will impact on ease of getting to the campus. Close to the macquare shopping centre, so if you need to purchase something it easy!, Has a good amount of greenery/bush which I like. Most people are fairly chill, in the first few years of the course you'll be in classes with lots of a international students in the accounting subjects (predominatelly asian).
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Have you been to Uni before? If so, what did you like/not like about your previous institution?
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

Meow meow meow meow meow? ilikecats's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

What sort of "bad things" have you heard? Maybe we can clarify or give feedback based upon that.
    Macquarie University
    Bachelor of Science
    Business Information Systems
    Might actually finish in 2017

HSC
    Uni Grad

I suppose its like anywhere you go, you have good and bad lecturers/tutors. Personally I have found Macquarie to be very student based and my lecturers/tutors for my actuarial units have been exceptional. As for other units such as economics/accounting/maths etc. it has been hit and miss. Although the accounting unit I'm doing atm is done fairly well.

Although I do feel that for a commerce based degree that reputation is important. If I was doing accounting I would have gone to usyd not mq. But again I suppose it all depends on what you want to accomplish, as I'm sure you could do great at mq or wherever you go.
    2nd Year Applied Finance/Actuarial Studies @ MQ
    GPA 6.67 WAM 87%
    Part 1's: CT7

HSC

I know this question was asked long ago but I hope my decision process would help all the newbies!
    I regret so much for being too naive and didn't know how to ask this question properly

Uni degree is a huge investment in terms of your time and finance so you should have an assessment metrics:
    You can view the university from 3 general dimensions --

1) the reputation of the course you want to study
    2) the industry connection offers (it is a huge factor in grad job opportunities)
    3)the flexibility of the course (would you be able to explore subjects outside your program, go on exchange, take semester leave, work around your work schedule, course timetable and holidays | because Usyd has no flexible timetable scheduling).

Alternatively, you may want to check this out to compare universities' courses and tuition fee.

HSC

Haven't been on for a while, but this question (although asked in October) lingered in my mind and made me reflect on my year at MQ. My experiences do not reflect everyone else's, and I'm not presuming that they do. But I'll say this.

Macquarie is not a perfect university. Not every student comes in with the right attitude and some tutors learn your name a little too late (or if they bother at all). The cynic would say that it's only going to get worse, the optimist says that's a small sample space and doesn't represent everyone. Some procedures are just confusing (look at the Concurrent degree forms for instance), and some faculties are thriving (Ancient History, Security Studies & Criminology with frequent events and opportunities) whilst some pale in comparison.

People, Planet & PACE units are still developing, and I predict in 5-10 years time (well after I finish my degree.... I hope) that they'll have more variety and choices. The current state isn't -bad- but if many students are actively dreading them and not seeing the point, then that does impact on the general atmosphere at university. I kind of find MQ to be refreshingly drama-free (mostly) and I remember a lovely experience of it pouring rain and a student who I had no prior interaction with offered me to go under her umbrella. (If Ally is reading this, you are awesome!). But things do happen.

If you go onto StudentVip, in the Macquarie section- you get a wide spectrum of ratings. Some courses do poorly (I've noticed Psychology not doing well) whilst people praise the daylights out of the Security Studies department. Accounting (and Commerce) seems to be in the middle- with a vast range of experiences.

So Macquarie's not perfect. Neither is any university for that matter. Just because it looks perfect on page, doesn't make it perfect for you and your goals.

Macquarie isn't perfect- but it's a damn good university in my opinion. Flexible study options, a great library, options to take units in Summer / Winter, nice places to eat (although there has been changes for food recently), an exciting new Doctor of Medicine program, a growing postgrad reputation, brilliant for Ancient History and Archeology, most people are great. What I think will happen to Macquarie University in the future- is that certain departments of it will shine and improve (aka only get better), leaving others lagging behind.

What I have heard about accounting at Macquarie- is that it's challenging and requires work, but rewards can be found if you are willing to put into the effort.

Another plus about Macquarie. It's really pretty in Autumn.
    weaknuclearforce likes this.
    “In the game of thrones, even the humblest pieces can have wills of their own. Sometimes they refuse to make the moves you've planned for them. Mark that well, Alayne. It's a lesson that Cersei Lannister still has yet to learn.”

B.Arts (English & Modern History) ~ Macquarie University (2017-2019)

Thread Information