Thread: BBA315 - Business forecasting URGENT help !

HSC

BBA315 - Business forecasting URGENT help !

Hi all,

First time post since I registered back in 2013/14 for my HSC.. now Im in my final year of uni what a long journey its been..
    In regards to being in my last year, this unit of BBA315 (business forecasting) has seriously concerned me. If I fail it my graduation is delayed by pretty much a whole year as it the unit is only offered sem 1 of every year.. I am due to graduate end of this year and only have two subjects left (assuming I pass BBA315).

I have tried and tried to no end to grasp my head around this subject. I didnt even do general maths in highschool.. I dont know how i managed to make it through even basic math first year subjects like micro economics and marketing demographics but I managed it, this time I have finally met my maker. I have tried going through the lectures and the tutorial work as the tutor stated but it is useless. the lectures are SO vague and do not tie into anything, they jump from graph to graph regarding assumed statistical knowledge which I find is so unfair considering my degree has not required me to do statistics at all until my very last year as a third year subject??. There is no explanations regarding on how to calculate the example questions they give etc and only provide a statistical formula which then vaguely correlates into the theory behind it but does not actually end up using the formula??. This is the most confusing subject I have ever encountered. There is no previous student notes on any student help forums regarding this subject and only ONE tutor I could find who two weeks before the final exam emailed me and said he is now available to tutor...

Long story short is how do I go about this?. This is such a niche subject and I am wondering if there are any former or current macquarie students that can point me in the right direction on how to learn, calculate and model the concepts they teach for this subject. My final exam is in a week and I still know nothing about this subject apart from basic theory of forecasting techniques - no stat related theory knowledge, calculation etc. On top of that, I failed both in class quizzes and got bang on 50/100 for my assignment so im already sitting at a fail mark for the unit.

What do I do?. There are graphs in the lectures with acronyms that arent explained or shown how to calculate in terms of applying to questions (wtf is MSE, MAE,MAPE??). Holts exponential smoothing, winters smoothing etc. This is the most poorly structured and worst unit I have ever encountered and know it has jeopardised my whole degree.

If ANYONE can please reach out to me for some possible help it would be greatly appreciated or if they even have tips or places to guide me for notes that are in basic explanatory terms and step by step because at the moment It looks like the nails are already in my coffin.

What do I do?, please help.
    Last edited by zedd; 9 Jun 2018 at 1:00 AM.

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: BBA315 - Business forecasting URGENT help !

Try doing past paper questions and see if you can go to consultation hours and check that you are answers are correct, if they are not then the tutor/lecturer should be able to help you answer them. Then try to memorise the answers as similar questions are ask every year.
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

HSC
    Uni Grad

Try using youtube for mape/mse concepts as they tend to be explained better :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cgIb9He5F8
    I'm ready to embrace

HSC
    Uni Grad

Also the multiple choice have lots of repeated answers from past papers so if you can get the answer and memorise them that should help you pass.
    I'm ready to embrace

HSC

Hey mate, I'm currently doing BBA315 and you're right, the subject is a shambles. A few things to help...

1. Watch he week 13 lecture multiple times and base your cheat sheet off of this and last years exam.
    2. Google the terms you don't understand (and keep track of them In a glossary) and use investopedia/youtube/whatever you can find to get your head around them
    3. A lot of the content, including the final, isn't actually based on numbers, although this may be harder to see from your position. focus on understanding the broad strokes - what is WES, SES, ARRSES etc. everything in weeks 1-5 ties in with trend, seasonality etc.
    4. The whole of section C has nothing to do with numbers. make sure you know weeks 9-12 back to front, as it will be heavily weighted in the exam.

Thread Information