acturial studies (im in 12) (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
actuArial studies (im in 12)

hey dudes

im considering this course and am just concerned about how much free time i would get...

so like after the lectures etc tutorials wateva all that

how much time of ur own intiiative are u to take to get a distinction level ? assuming ur smart enough?

Last edited by a moderator:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
acst students seem to play pool 24/7 and still get D's :p

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
man im currently in my 2nd yr of studies and dude I u need self disipline big time...procrastinate and u fall behind so so bad...(like me><")

flamin'

I think you'd be able to get some free time - even the brightest ones in my year manage to bludge a bit.. A BIT though... But those are the ones that are very very very very far ahead like reading notes before the lecturer talks about those topics. SO you'd prob be comfortable most of the time...

I think workload isn't that bad for 2nd year, seeing as most of it is quality work than quantity... so in the end, its how smart you are rather than how much work you do, because on the harder problems etc. you'd think a while on them and then probably won't even get them out...

william

HSC
flyin' said:
Assuming you're smart enough*, you should be able to manage Ds in exemption/ACST units with alot of time to spare even when you're at uni. Actuarials in general have no problems achieving Ds in non-exemption/non-ACST units, if you can cram.
I know the final grade is not from our raw mark, so should the hard ACST units scale up a lot like HSC? and easy units scale down?

william

HSC
And one more question, as some one said b4. only about 30 percent of students survive to graduate. So how many percent of actuarial graduates can survive to FIAA (just approximately or any range)? plz tell me what you know

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
can i add that i've met very few FIAAs. Most are AIAAs. I think around 30% of ppl who go for FIAA exams (part 3 exams?) get through.

william

HSC
so for a actuarial student to get part3 the probility would be 30% * 30% = 9% ? that is @#!%!$^!$^

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
william said:
too much stress to study acst
well u cant juz multiply those 2 things there coz u see they arent independent probabilties.

plus if u dont get ur fiaa immediately, juz means u keep going for it....until ur 65...
and that would a negative binomial...
*calculates the expected value of yrs that it takes to get fiaa*
*increases utility by a little*

aditya

HSC
lol 9%... not first go, i remember a family friend got part 3s (complete genius) and yeh he was saying how 3 out of 100 poeple got it.... 3 out of 100 poepole............. 3% boys

william

HSC
aditya said:
lol 9%... not first go, i remember a family friend got part 3s (complete genius) and yeh he was saying how 3 out of 100 poeple got it.... 3 out of 100 poepole............. 3% boys
yes! I heard that happen in USA.... some takes 10 years to get the certificate after graduate!

psych_girl

HSC
hay

guys.....you r crazy doing A studies! As i know, it is fucken difficult unless you are really interested in both Economics and Maths also unless you r doing very well in 4U math in yr 12, then you can consider to do such a stupid course..... ummmmm...........It is soooooooooooooooooooo difficult, also UAI cut-off is so high, UNSW is not very good choice for A studies. MQ and UM are better. and also ANU. Dont do it at UNSW. It is so young, doesnt have enough experiment for A studies education!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
so...why are you telling people doing it already ?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
psych do u do actuarial (i.e r u speaking from experience) or did u just hear all that stuff

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
flyin' said:
there are people who hate economics and love actuarial, comparatively speaking[/i]]
haha i thought i'd point out the comparative bit, memories of econ111? :p

psych_girl

HSC
Supra said:
psych do u do actuarial (i.e r u speaking from experience) or did u just hear all that stuff
I got some friends who are doing such a course at UNSW. I said from what he told me. hehe. But the truth is it is really difficult. It is not as easy as doing medicine. Trust me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)