law transfer for macquarie university (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
what is the success rate of transferring from your eisting degree to a combined law degree here?

has anyone transferred? and what average did you need and when did you do it?

also was it hard??

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently it's pretty easy to internally transfer to Law at Macq...just gotta keep a credit average or something

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just above a credit average to get a competitive consideration.

3 being a credit, 3.5 to be competitive, although 2.0 is the minimum.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha asy. i know i asked you on msn. but im a paranoid fellow. i need many different people to reassure me for me to stop stressing and start doing :p

aleachim

HSC
I too am asking a similar question, and internal transfers are the way to go of one has D-average ~ or so I have heard.

However, on a SLIGHTLY unrelated note, I am doing Necastle arts/law 1st yr and am living in the area (DFEE place). V costly and I was not smart enough to get Law at Mac from my UAI

What are my chances of external transfer into arts(psych)/law? and will the course coordinators accept my credit points for the course?

I asked/emailed them directly, got no real answer :(

Anyone in a position to offer advice?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Law credit points are generally given as law degrees all have to teach specific things.

With arts you should get credit for your subjects, whether it be general credit or specific exception depends on your course.

maka

HSC
hahaha funny you say that mel.

I was told for Arts, I'd only need to do 3 x 300 units to graduate with an Arts degree since it has no pre reqs.

antisheep

HSC
I transferred externally and I had a UAI of 91.85 with my uni marks at my last uni being made up of a couple of distinctions, mostly credits, and one fail (oops!) so yeah... they are a bit kinder to the people who have already studied in comparison to the school leavers so I think you'd be able to do it with average results and a uai over 90 or great results with a lower uai.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Some successful UAC transfers to Macquarie combined law last for 08:

(GPA 5 = credit, GPA 4 = Pass)

So transferring externally doesn't look like the biggest challenge.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
sasa-o8 said:
Sorry I'm clueless, but is UAI taken into account? Totally impossible with a 80?
For UAC transfers UAI is usually considered.
I'd say people getting in with a UAI in the 50's and 70s would mean it is entirely possible.

Girlfriend

HSC
N/A
sasa-o8 said:
Wow 50s and 70s is possible? Is it because they did exceptionally well in their first year uni course or is it just plain easy to transfer to Law at Macq?

Btw, thank you for answering all my questions! :)

dont believe ari. that's bs.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Girlfriend said:
No.
But I'm sure having never to transfer to Mac law via UAC makes you the expert, doesn't it?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
sasa-o8 said:
Wow 50s and 70s is possible? Is it because they did exceptionally well in their first year uni course or is it just plain easy to transfer to Law at Macq?

Btw, thank you for answering all my questions! :)
The marks weren't exceptional. A high pass - credit was acceptable. I assume they give people with a year of uni under their belts a lot of felxibility compared to school leavers.

hannahxxx

HSC
Girlfriend said:
Seconded. Speaking from past knowledge, the minimum to get in would be around a credit average and a 87+ UAI. Though people who get this usually only just scrape in, and are at the bottom of the lists externally.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
hannahxxx said:
Seconded. Speaking from past knowledge, the minimum to get in would be around a credit average and a 87+ UAI. Though people who get this usually only just scrape in, and are at the bottom of the lists externally.
And speaking from past knowledge, I know 4 examples that got in with marks far lower than that.

Poor Macquarie people getting all pissed off that their law course isn't as exclusive as they want it to be.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

ari89 said:
Some successful UAC transfers to Macquarie combined law last for 08:

(GPA 5 = credit, GPA 4 = Pass)

So transferring externally doesn't look like the biggest challenge.
Yeah, you said that to me on msn. However, in my (relatively short time) working for the uni, I've never seen students get accepted with marks as consistently low as that. I think the lowest I've seen was 81/5.5, and that was based on their application which included a bunch of legal related work experience.

coopert

HSC
Hey,

Im currently studying [Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Laws] at University of Canberra.

My 2007 UAI was pretty low (83.55), however UC offered 5 Bonus Points which explains how I made the cutoff. During my first semester of study in 2008, I got a GPA of 5.75.

Providing that I achieve similar grades in my 2nd semester for 2008, what would you feel my chances would be of a successful External Transfer into the 2nd year of my current degree at Macquarie University for 2009??

Any advice much appreciated!!

X

xeuyrawp

coopert said:
Hey,

Im currently studying [Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Laws] at University of Canberra.

My 2007 UAI was pretty low (83.55), however UC offered 5 Bonus Points which explains how I made the cutoff. During my first semester of study in 2008, I got a GPA of 5.75.

Providing that I achieve similar grades in my 2nd semester for 2008, what would you feel my chances would be of a successful External Transfer into the 2nd year of my current degree at Macquarie University for 2009??

Any advice much appreciated!!
It's kinda irrelevant what your chances are. According to Ari's list (which is dubious), you'd have a chance. I think you'd be right along the border if you got in, to be honest.

Best person to talk with is Alison Polland, alison.pollard@mq.edu.au, 98507098. Send her an email, and if you don't hear back within a few days, give her a ring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)