Mq Uni - Anygood????? (1 Viewer)

M-THIS

Hey...

I wanted to do a BUSINESS/LAW (or something similar) course, but over recent years the UAI at all Uni's have blown out of the roof!!!

MQ seems like an achievable goal... maybe....

BUT
- lots of my friends say that MQ is crap and is not worth going!

What should i do???
- CONFUSED -

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Okay, MQ is definitely not the *best* University in NSW. However, if you really want to do LAW and don't want to pay full fee and won't achieve 99.3+ (UNSW) or 99.6+ (USyd), MQ is the only reasonable choice.

But if you want your degree to say UNSW or USyd and don't care about the degree, then go there.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
uts has bus/law, its in high 98s
otherwise com/law is almost same thing. Mq isn't renowned for law. But if you cant get the uai...

M-THIS

flyin' so what you can pay more to get in with less... UAI marks that is???

Whats that mean?

but where u get the degree isn't that detremental right?! better to get it than not?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Full-fee paying students are those who pay for their degree to a certain extent, that is - they did not make the required UAI-cutoff for the course but because they are willing to pay (significantly more)* they still can do the course. For example, Law at USyd was around 98 and at UNSW around 95. So if your parents are rich and your UAI is half-decent but well below the cut-off you can still make it.

It depends, it's hard to become a Lawyer without a Law degree. It *might* be a disadvantage when searching for your first job (however, they look for more than the Uni-name), otherwise it completely doesn't matter.

Cheers.

* Possibly twice as much.

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Possibly up to twice as much.
So say, it costs a person who obtained the required UAI - $5,000 for one year. It could cost up to $10,000 or more (or less).

Edit: An LAW is one of the most expense Courses.

M-THIS

so.. paying just say $10K per year means you don't need a UAI. Or ok, you need a UAI that is half decent!

If so... i need a job as the PIZZA BOY!!

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
5uai less, you pay same as internatinal students 20k a year. While normal people pay 5k.

But the thing is, if you couldn't get into the course, you have to consider whether the course is really for you. imo, graduating from a course is harder than getting in.

M-THIS

IS IT REALLY?

SOME PPL WORK FOR MORE HOURS THAN THEY DO IN THE HSC.. BUT OTHER SAY THAT THEY CAN DO NOTHING, MAYBE A FEW HOURS BE4 THE EXAM. JUST PASS MARKS ARE EASY RIGHT?????

EVEN IN A HARD COURSE LIKE BUSINESS/LAW??

WOULD I BE RIGHT?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Paying doesn't necessarily mean you don't need a UAI, it just means you don't need as high as other people. You still need to do some work to get 95+.

Malachite is right in that it isn't hard to get in, it's getting out with the degree you want.

Well, for some subjects you can completely cram the night before. But for something like Law, it wouldn't be advisable. It just depends on the course.

If you get in. Put in the hard work while you're there, there shouldn't be any reason why you wouldn't be right.

Cheers. :)

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
I've heard that law is really just a lot of reading. if you do your readings (ps: nobody ever does any readings!) then you should be fine.

mq isn't a bad uni. im quite happy there, and i dont see what sydney or unsw or uts really have over us. sydney has some stale reputation dating back to the 1800's, unsw has a lot of exchange students and uts has a lot of concrete. we have exchange students and concrete, as well as grass and a damn fine reputation as the party uni.

it really doesn't matter where you get the degree, as long as you get it and it's int he subject field of the job you're applying for. i think that's the bottom line.

and, you said business/law was a hard course...uai's aren't an indication of course difficulty, they're an indication of popularity. to know how hard a course really is, talk to somebody who does it.

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
Originally posted by Asquithian

there arnt man international law students...only one or two in each class id say
i wasn't talking strictly law, i meant the uni overall. unsw has a lot of exchange students overall.

but as has been pointed our before, just because a uni has a good rep with students doesnt mean it'll have a good one in the industry. you should ask around first...that's my advice!
cept mq prob does have a crap law rep...hahahaha

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
Originally posted by ricenoodles
which courses does mq have a good name for?
acturial studies ~ thats the only thing i think of when i hear the word "macquarie university"

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
acturial studies ~ thats the only thing i think of when i hear the word "macquarie university"
take out the mq in macquarie and add a t for tops wat do u get?

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
hahah cool!

im guessing u do actuarial studies at mq :p

ricenoodles

HSC
hey..i was just wondering if it was possible to transfer from a course at mq after 1st yr into another course at a different uni.

for example, just say i do acst during first yr and i dont like it and decide that i want to transfer. am i allowed to transfer to say sydney or unsw and do a course there, or am i only allowed to transfer to another course at mq?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)