About New Courses @mq (1 Viewer)

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
HEY, ANYONE OUT THERE DO COMPUTER SCIENCE,
I'VE HEARD ABOUT THE BIT COURSE, IS IT BASICALLY THE SAME,
DOES IT HAVE A LOT OF PROGRAMMING IN IT. I DO INFO PROCESSES AT SCHOOL COULDN'T DO SDD(NOT ENOUGH PPL)

SO I DON'T REALLY KNOW MUCH ABOUT PROGRAMMING BUT WOULD LIKE TO DO INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY ANYWAY.

IF I DON'T GET INTO USYD IS MQ THE NEXT BEST CHOICE?
DO YOU GET WORK EXPERIENCE IN THE COURSE? AND A GOOD JOB AT THE END? I DON'T WANT TO BE UNEMPLOYED AFTER FOUR YEARS OF UNI

OH YEAH...
I DO 3U MATHS, BUT THEY SAY FOR ACTUARY YOU NEED 4U , DO I HAVE TO, CAN'T I JUST DO A BRIDGING COURSE??

THANX

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
3u maths is prereq for actuarial. 4u is recommended only.

Computer science does involve programing. You'll most likely start of with C++. No knowledge is assumed. However, if you do actuarial/computers and follow the recommedned program, you'll fly through the basics of programing in a very short time.
If you do computer science by itself, the introduction course is much slower.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by choco
OH YEAH...
I DO 3U MATHS, BUT THEY SAY FOR ACTUARY YOU NEED 4U , DO I HAVE TO, CAN'T I JUST DO A BRIDGING COURSE??
There are quite a few (I'd say at least 10% of) first-year Actuarial Studies students who didn't do Ext2. They don't do a bridging course. They add MATH135 to their first semester subjects, and while the others are doing MATH133 in second semester, they complete MATH136. You won't be too disadvantaged either way, if you're capable of doing Actuarial Studies (whatever that means?).

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
thanks, alot

i also had a question about e business, don't really know what it entails, so could you help me out??

also if i don't make it in to actuarial studies what's the next best to do

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
If all you want to do is Actuarial Studies... and at MQ, this is what you do - Enrol in Commerce and work as hard as you can, and then transfer. How this works?
* MQ has a pretty lenient transfer system, I mean I know someone who got below 80 (UAI) and didn't do that well in this subjects (for first semester) - didn't even get a distinction - and still was able to transfer to Commerce (which has a UAI requirement of 90+).
* Actuarial Studies for first-year involves alot of generic, Commerce subjects like Accounting, Economics... which you could get out of the way.
* MQ GPA system (which they use for internal transfers) is completely stuffed, so a Distinction is as good as a High Distinction.

As for E-Bus... don't know much about it. Just that's its a new Degree with a different combination of subjects.

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by choco

IF I DON'T GET INTO USYD IS MQ THE NEXT BEST CHOICE?
unsw n uts are better than mq as far as computing is concerned. also, if ure interested in actuary, unsw offers bcom actuary + bsc comp sci as a double degree

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
what are the main differences between the actuarial course at macquarie and the 1 at UNSW beside just saying MQ is better, and beside the reputation?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, here is a list, which of course isn't exhaustive:
* MQ had the first established Actuarial Studies course over 30 years in NSW. Compare this with UNSW, which I think has barely 5 years at most.
* At MQ we have a established group of about 8 or 9 Academic Actuarial staff. At UNSW there was 1, who was from MQ.
* MQ came up with the Control Cycle - ie. Part II for Exemptions. MQ has a history of producing fine Actuarial graduates.

There is probably a whole list of other things... but in terms of Actuarial Studies, MQ would definitely be the place to be in NSW.

If you keen on Actuarial Studies and becoming an Actuary, MQ is the place to be. On the other hand, if you're just doing, because it sounds good, UNSW is the place to be. UNSW are more lenient in terms of grades, so if you go there you'll have a better chance of surviving to Part II. However, they won't offer anything near the quality of teaching - and Actuarial Studies is one of those courses where the things you learn will be used once you get to the workplace.

Edit: An additional note: the real problem with MQ Actuarial course is, if you fail, you're sort of stuck at MQ. Of course, you could transfer out to UNSW or USyd but that's like starting over.
As a side note: At MQ, people occasionally joke about failing at MQ and going to UNSW to ace their Actuarial course.

In terms of Computing, MQ is apparently pretty good, well I've been told. Whether it's the case or not, I can't say.

Last edited:

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
Well, here is a list, which of course isn't exhaustive:
* MQ had the first established Actuarial Studies course over 30 years in NSW. Compare this with UNSW, which I think has barely
Mq was the first uni to teach actuarial studies.

Originally posted by flyin'

In terms of Computing, MQ is apparently pretty good, well I've been told. Whether it's the case or not, I can't say.
Pretty good at plaigarism that is.

My opinion is that if you can get an industry scholarship doing acst at unsw, then goto unsw. Otherwise comes to Mq.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)