really lost...please help (1 Viewer)

**blu_rose**

HSC
well i am very eager to do a communications course in macquarie and i keep hearng all these things abt gpas and credits. i really don't get how they work, any help would be appreciated.
i also have been told to pass u need a gpa of 2 and so on.
how hard is it to get a gpa 3.0? what mark would that be? and how hard is it to get a distinction in a communications course?

HSC
N/A
A GPA of 3 generally means a credit average.

Bear in mind that a pass is just that - a pass. It means you've satisfied the requirements. A credit means above average (ie demonstrated capabilites beyond what is expected for this level) - fewer people get these, and even fewer get Distinctions or High Distinctions (It's not like the HSC where you can just sort of "aim" for a mark of 85 as an average. Quite literally, the term "all you need is a pass!" defniately applies to uni students!). Mind you, it's not too hard to get a credit, and even a distinction if you happen to be particularly good at the course - but with uni life and all, sometimes you only aim for a pass ;)

The gpa tends to refer to "marks over the year". Ie a pass is worth 2 points, a credit is worth 3, and D's and HD's are 4. You add up all these and divide by the number of subjects you did (usually four per semester - there are two semesters per year) and voila - there is your GPA.

"Communication course" is a little broad - as most degrees require you to take units from several departments, you'll probably find you blitz some and barely scrape through others.

I'll let someone more knowledgable take over now :)

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
**blu_rose** said:
well i am very eager to do a communications course in macquarie and i keep hearng all these things abt gpas and credits. i really don't get how they work, any help would be appreciated.
i also have been told to pass u need a gpa of 2 and so on.
how hard is it to get a gpa 3.0? what mark would that be? and how hard is it to get a distinction in a communications course?
PASS = GPA 2.0 (50-65 mark average)
Credit 65-74
Distinction 75-84
H. Distinction 85-100

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Hold on WHAT?

GPA of 3 is distinction average? That can't be right....!!! *faints, as she has a GPA of 3 to maintain next year*

Isn't the GPA of 4 for D's and HD's?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)