Communications:Roll Call!/Getting to know you! (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hi everybody!

My name is Evan and I'm gonna be doing BA in Communications (Writing & Cultures) combined with Certificate of Languages(French) at MQ and this will be my first year of uni.

So I just thought I'd ask - who is doing communications at UTS? What strand of communications are you doing? What degree, if any, you are combining it with? What year are you in? And any nifty secrets about the degree you'd like to unleash?:p

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Yo yo. I'm Maria and I'll be in the first year of my Comm(Journalism) degree in 2006. I'm not combining with anything but if I make it through my degree I'd like to do some postgrad Education/Law stuff.

Oh and I wanted to ask, what are the new kids' enrolment dates? Because mine is the 16th and it strikes me as really, really late :(.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
snickerdoodle said:
Yo yo. I'm Maria and I'll be in the first year of my Comm(Journalism) degree in 2006. I'm not combining with anything but if I make it through my degree I'd like to do some postgrad Education/Law stuff.

Oh and I wanted to ask, what are the new kids' enrolment dates? Because mine is the 16th and it strikes me as really, really late :(.
Hi Maria:wave:

My enrollment is on the 7th and I know some people have been given enrollment dates even earlier than me - maybe they just go through it alphabetically and your surname is near the end of the alphabet?

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Hi!

My sucky surname is near the end of the alphabet. I hate that everyone is swept up in the excitement of enrolling while I'm sitting here with a sad face going "buh"?

Have you sorted your timetable yet? At least I have awhile to get that together lol.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Yup, my timetable is pretty sorted - us Communications students get pretty good hours by the looks of it. First semester I should only have around 11 hours of classes:D

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Hey you ragamuffins!!!!!!!!

I'm doing communications (journalism) with law in '06. I'm enrolling on the 1st of Feb. I havn't sorted my timetable yet, i'm so freaking lazy.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hey Sweets, welcome to the club! And congratulations on your S&C marks - I hear they were quite brilliant:D

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Hmm, after days and days of trying to change my session to no avail I logged in today to find I could now choose the 7th to enrol! How weird is that? Weird but greeeatttt. Except it's at 9 o'clock. I haven't woken up that early since...well since the HSC lol.

kellybelly

Hi everyone,

My name is Kelly and I'm enrolled in Social Inquiry... Should be fun. I'm really looking forward to it. Not looking forward so much to not knowing anyone though :worried: but I suppose we'll be okay.

Good thread.

I want to do Postgrad Journalism so as to become a Journalist. I'm also staying at the UTS Accomodation - Gumal, is anyone else? as well as enrolling on the 6th.

Good luck everyone with enrolment etc.

Kelly.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
hey

writing and cultural studies / laws for me. enrolling @ 4pm on the 1st. yay. : )

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, I'm an oldie but yeah we may all run in to each other so.... Anyway, I'm Ashlee, I'm in my third year at UTS (BA Comm Journo) except I am currently overseas on exchange at the University of Westminster so I will be back at UTS for second semester in August.

I lived in Gumal for the past two years and will probably be moving back there in August if that counts...

Any questions feel free to ask, I usually reply to anything I can help with on this board.

One piece of advice... time flies, it doesn't feel very long ago that I posted on this board when I got my offer, and now I am in my final year! (Well, i might be doing honours0 Eeekk... try and enjoy it and make the most of your time at UTS.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
kellymay said:
Hi everyone,

My name is Kelly and I'm enrolled in Social Inquiry... Should be fun. I'm really looking forward to it. Not looking forward so much to not knowing anyone though but I suppose we'll be okay.
Hi!
I know how you feel Kelly, its kind of weird to be so excited about UTS and the course and so anxious about the new-ness and all the new people at the same time.

glycerine said:
hey

writing and cultural studies / laws for me. enrolling @ 4pm on the 1st. yay.:)
Hi erin:) Congrats on getting in and welcome to le club.:D

braindrainedash said:
Well, I'm an oldie but yeah we may all run in to each other so.... Anyway, I'm Ashlee, I'm in my third year at UTS (BA Comm Journo) except I am currently overseas on exchange at the University of Westminster so I will be back at UTS for second semester in August.

I lived in Gumal for the past two years and will probably be moving back there in August if that counts...

Any questions feel free to ask, I usually reply to anything I can help with on this board.

One piece of advice... time flies, it doesn't feel very long ago that I posted on this board when I got my offer, and now I am in my final year! (Well, i might be doing honours0 Eeekk... try and enjoy it and make the most of your time at UTS.
Hi Ashlee:wave:
Wow, sounds exciting:D If I may ask, how did you get to go on exchange without doing International Studies? And also, how do you go about honours in this degree?

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
kami said:
Hey Sweets, welcome to the club! And congratulations on your S&C marks - I hear they were quite brilliant:D
Thanks Kami :)

According to my sister, who is in her final year of law/journo, the first semester is just pass or fail for communications, and it looks dead easy to me, a bunch of society and culture wanky crap mixed with adv english wank. I wonder if it is still pass/fail or if they have changed it.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
yeah it sucks, cos i'm all excited about starting uni but the subjects look pretty meh...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Sweets said:
According to my sister, who is in her final year of law/journo, the first semester is just pass or fail for communications, and it looks dead easy to me, a bunch of society and culture wanky crap mixed with adv english wank. I wonder if it is still pass/fail or if they have changed it.
I think some of it is graded depending on the strand you are in, but most of it is pass/fail, it doesn't really mean much though unless you want a transfer in which case the pass/fail thing might be a bit of a bitch.
glycerine said:
yeah it sucks, cos i'm all excited about starting uni but the subjects look pretty meh...
Most first year englishy subjects suck though, so its not that bad of a first year when you look at some of the waffle other students have to do.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I heard a rumour that pass/fail for first year was going and it would be graded from now on.... just a rumour though. But when I did first year it was pass/fail.

Yes, some of the first year subjects are a bit dull but things get much better in the second year. Plus some of them aren't too bad, and some of them have really interesting weeks and less interesting weeks and stuff so it isn't that painful. And you start to understand in second and third year exactly why you had to do all those compulsory first year subjects.

And for whoever asked, I got on exchange by organizing it. It is possible to do exchange without international studies, it's just whether or not you can fit it in to your degree plan etc. For me I saved up all my electives and got my compulsory subjects out of the way so I could do the exchange. All the info is at iis.uts.edu.au, and pick exchange.

Honours is an extra year you have to apply for when you are in the final year of your comm degree. I think the application basically involves writing a proposal of what you want to do for your thesis thingo so they can see if there is an academic to supervise it. Check out the course handbook for more details. But basically it is an extra year where you do an extended piece of research.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Honours doesn't sound so nearly as cool anymore for some reason...:(

Anyways, does anyone know where us communications students have most of our classes? Is it in the big concrete tower or in Haymarket?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It's Building 3, Bon Marche. It's on the corner of Broadway and Harris St, just along the side of the tower. It's an old department store... there is a serious lack of natural light in there though.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Hey Maria and co!

I'm Jenna and I'm doing Ba Arts in Comm (Journalism) this year.

I got the 16th for enrolment as well but I'm gonna go down, dump my crap there, enrol, then come home until the 26th. I can sit at home twiddling my thumbs for 10days a lot better then in an isolating dorm room. lol Yeah, this 9 o' clock business. hell...I havent seen 9am since....year 5. hahaha sad but true.

I'm a country bumkin so I'm kinda terrified of leaving but also scratching to get away from small town life. I'm from the North Coast - 45min inland from Byron Bay. (no..not Nimbin! lol)

lol anyone try the lifts in the tower building? those squeaks and groans it made freaked me out!

Anyway..I hope to see everyone on the 27th! I'll be the one looking like she isn't awake yet. (especially if it's a 9am start...lol)

Congrats to everyone who go a place!

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
MissMacbeth said:
Hey Maria and co!

I'm Jenna and I'm doing Ba Arts in Comm (Journalism) this year.
Yay! I thought I'd never find anyone doing the same course!

If it makes you feel better I have to wake up at about 7:30 for 9am starts! A lot of people call me dramatic but 7:30 = break of dawn in my world. Living on campus would be awesome (except I'd probably eat out all the time and end up morbidly obese).

Tis exciting. Wee! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)