international studies (1 Viewer)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
hmm, i was looking at this course and all it lists is the countries you can study for your major. i was wondering whether anyone could tell me if you could study a social science discipline like the UNSW international studies degree?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
no no, not that it was dodgy, just that courses usually have a higher cut-off if they have that word.
like liberal studies and liberal studies (international) at sydney.

anyway, i'm trying to find out about the UTS course..
i know you could study languages in unsw commerce, and study commerce-ish stuff in international studies.
but how about UTS?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm pretty sure from the info I have gotten all you can do under Int Std is learn the language and learn about the culture of a specific country. That's how I understood it anyway.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeah you learn about the language of the country you major in and also the politicial/social/cultural situation of the country/continent it is in (e/g france and europe's current affairs), all in this one subject called "cultural studies".

then u go there for a year (i think) and basically learn n live there.

fillstar

HSC
thats right

you learn language essentials and build from that regardless of your level. they also teach cultural/political/social aspects of the country you choose to focus on. then they send u over there for a year. come back and complete ur degree

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
expensive in terms of how much spending money u wanna spend.

cos i think the way it works is that you just pay normal hecs fees. and the university will like have 'partners' with certain universities in the world, so uts will send some kids there and they will send some of their kids to uts. so that way it's all even.

and there are also heaps of travelling scholarships etc.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
well u can get travelling scholarships even if you're not doing international studies ... so i guess like if u suck up and do well in uni you'd get a scholarship thingo.

plus there's grants and ... ehhh there's many ways around it when it comes, the main thing is like don't not do international studies just cos u think you can't afford it , cos you can.

karnevil

HSC
bachelor business / bachelor arts in Int. Stds. 2002 UAI was 95.70 (City campus)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
there isn't an international business course, but you can do it as a major under B business (last year's cutoff was 93.25)

oh and you don't actually do anything business-ish in the int. studies, you just learn language/culture.. etc

-[Kakashi]-

HSC
my first preference is
B Industrial Design n International Studies.... and i'll probably choose Japan for major...
85.70.... seems so hard for me... :(

any tips or advice..?
or anything abt the course...?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Melb, I spoke to UTS admin and they said they're still sending students to Indonesia.

I wanna do Spain for a major. Or Indonesia.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I wanna do Communications (Journalism)/Int Std.... I'll probably do French and go to either France or Canada.... I couldn't afford to go to Japan so even though I speak more Jap than French I would still do French probably. Plus they speak French in lots more places.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
you could go to switzerland, too. they speak french there.

that's probably where i'll go if i transfer to design (viscom)/int'l studies.... awesome swiss design :D

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by -[Kakashi]-
my first preference is
B Industrial Design n International Studies.... and i'll probably choose Japan for major...
85.70.... seems so hard for me... :(

any tips or advice..?
or anything abt the course...?
i'm doing design (visual communications), which is in the same faculty. i've got a few friends doing industrial design though, and they all seem to like it.

lots of sketching, technical drawing and so on...personally, not really my thing... i was never much of a design and tech person... there's alot of work in it, i think... and if you don't make the uai, you can just do straight industrial design, and transfer to ind. des./international studies at the end of first year, based on the marks you get that semester... it doesn't matter if you transfer then, because the course structure looks like:

1st year: regular degree
2nd year: regular degree + international studies
3rd year: regular degree + international studies
4th year: in-country study
5th year (and 6th year if your degree was 4 years originally): finish regular degree

so everyone doing any sort of international studies doesn't start till 2nd year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)