IT management (1 Viewer)

HSC
Has anyone done this? Is it useful for anything? I'm pretty much choosing this because it doesn't have programming.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
**freakstar87** said:
Has anyone done this? Is it useful for anything? I'm pretty much choosing this because it doesn't have programming.
Quite a few of my friends are doing this sub-major because it has no programming ~_~

Anyway, from them, they say it's pretty much a waste of time. If you've done MPO, they say the first subject ISOD is pretty much MPO in an IT context sort of but crappier. Apparently the lecturers whack too :D

Useful will be relative. What are you planning to do and/or what other subjects/major are you doing? What field are you looking to go in and so on.

In my opinion (although I don't do this sub-major), I'd choose another one even if it has programming and bear with those 1-2 subjects of programming :p

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Do it if project management and people management is your goal. Although undergrad degrees, especially in IT would not exactly define where you end up, I still think you need passion for the sub-major you have chosen.

I was going to do Internet Business Technology (IBT) as I thought I want to be technical. However, after doing my internship and then Internet Commerce core for IBT I realised that IT Management would suit me better as I enjoy management and working with people.

It depends on you. Don't see it as a residue and the fact you want to do it because you don't like programming, but do it because you have passion for project management or perhaps you intend to develop a liking for it.

I am not sure if it is crap. I have done MPO and that is a good subject. I have heard some of the lecturers for IT Management sub-major aren't good, but oh wells that is University for you - most of it is independent work anyway. I don't see how a lot of University students still expect stuff to be spoon fed as it is in private schools.

Good luck!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
I was going to choose IT management.. but after doing MPO i found out that management is definately not my thing.

IBT!

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Yeh it is awkward. I just loved MPO! I did it this semester! When did u do it Huratio? And I did Internet Commerce too this semester. I am sure you did that too or would do it for IBT? Thank God I made it my elective. God saved me from AIT!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
I did it this semester as well!
I had a tute on Monday at 4pm and then the lecture at 6pm.
Reason why I hated MPO was: I had systems modelling and economics before it on the monday (yes.. three subjects in one day). I also put the work in, and didn't get the results I wanted (maybe it was the tutor's hard marking?). By the end of it (near the exam time) I hated MPO and I just wanted to get it over and done with. If I find out that I fail tomorrow I don't know what I will do.. but I doubt it.

I will be doing IMP and AIT in Spring, 2007 and probably Internet Commerce in Autumn, 2008 and Mobile Programming in Autumn, 2009. I hate it that some IT courses are only offered in one specific semester a year- requires planning =/

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Yeh how the courses are offered get annoying. I am doing all my sub major subjects next year too.

Jeez haha MPO...hmm who was your tutor? I had Nicholas Ridis on Monday morning. I was the one who posted heapssss on the UTS Online forum. I don't know if you checked it?

Internet Commerce is not difficult. I got a bit concerned about it but do your notes every week and take it easy.

Wish you the best with the results.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
lil_star said:
Yeh how the courses are offered get annoying. I am doing all my sub major subjects next year too.

Jeez haha MPO...hmm who was your tutor? I had Nicholas Ridis on Monday morning. I was the one who posted heapssss on the UTS Online forum. I don't know if you checked it?

Internet Commerce is not difficult. I got a bit concerned about it but do your notes every week and take it easy.

Wish you the best with the results.
Thanks.
I had Rachel Hughes as my MPO tutor. Nick was pretty good for the strategy lecture. Some of the other guest lecturers weren't all that good.
I did read through most of the UTSOnline forum before the exam.

My marks are up in the results thread =/ I'm glad I passed.. I don't think I have to touch anything related to management anymore =)

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Haha lol so the forum did help ? I spammed it biggg time :p The more I learn the more passionate I get about Management =). It is management all the way for me!

Congrats on passing MPO. I was a bit scared too! You never know with multiple choice, what happens!

Good work!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Spammer =O You were the one posting like 10 questions and like lecture summaries on there I think?
There was alot of helpful stuff on there though, except the debate on why the MPO final shouldn't be 50% out of the 40 mc questions.

IBM Chief Technological Officer for you =)

Cheers.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Haha yeh it was me lol! I just love management now. Thats why I chose to lead my SDP team it was a great experience after doing my industrial training.

Thanks for the nice words :p :)

Cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)