BscIT + International Studies (1 Viewer)

Caution123

HSC
Hi there, UAC applications for courses are nearly over and I pretty much have my eyes set on the BscIT courses at UTS, but I am also interested in the combined degree with international studies, particularly studying Japanese.

The combined degree with international studies is 6 years as opposed to the 4 year single degree and the combined course doesn't seem to be very popular, which is why I would like to ask these questions.

• What would happen if UTS chooses to change/update the BscIT course structure during the combined degree seeing how the world of IT changes rapidly
eg. I apply for the BscIT 2008 course, and in 2009 the BscIT courses has some modifications for the students finishing their HSC in 2008. When the students from the 2008 course graduate in 2012 and I'm one of the few students from the original 2008 course still finishing off my degree, Do I still follow the original course structure even I'm the only guy doing it? Or do I join the people from the newer 2009 course?
  • Can I elect to drop Int Stud. and continue on with my single BscIT degree?
Thanks guys :):wave:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
1) In regards to restructuring of course structures, it actually happened this year (2007). In my case, I am currently in the B Bus/B Comp course; which was replaced by B Bus/B ScIT this year. The point being is that- you stay in your (old) course, and remain taking subjects from your old course structure. The good thing is that, in a subject point of view- restructuring happens anyways. Improvements and the evolution of the IT industry mean that even though you maybe in a subject which is on the old course structure, you would be learning up-to-date material anyways.
I actually have the option to transfer to the new structure, which I am currently considering. But this could mean that the subjects I previously did, do not match with the up-to-date ones. A one-to-one transfer may not be viable; thus making my course longer to finish (which takes time and costs more).

2) You can elect to drop Int Stud. if you want to just continue on the BScIT degree. Both course belong to the Faculty of Information Technology (even though the Institute of International Studies is the collaborating faculty). You could do this after a semester via what is known as an 'internal transfer'. They mainly look at the marks you gained at university, your supporting statement (500 word essay on why you want to transfer), and other supporting material you provide. Generally a credit average is desirable (65%-75% average in all subjects).

Hope that all makes sense; feel free to ask any further questions you may have.

Caution123

HSC
Ah right thanks for that :), but I don't understand why you would need to do an internal transfer if you just want to drop international studies... Whats the point of transferring to a course that your already studying :/ It makes no sense to me

Caution123

HSC
Ah thanks Huratio :)

I've got one last question. Seeing how BscIT + Int stud. is the only combined degree available, which doesn't seem to be very popular (anyone want to clarify this?) what would happen on the 6th year if there arn't enough people to set up lectures/tutorials?

Do you personally think that the combined degree is sort of risky?http://community.boredofstudies.org/members/huratio/ vbmenu_register("postmenu_3090924", t

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Combined degrees seem to be less popular always. People like graduating a lot quicker than spending alot more time at uni.

It shouldn't be risky. You would be studying BScIT subjects and Int.Stds. subjects with alot of different people throughout the 6 years; but I highly doubt any of the subjects being cancelled because of low numbers (electives might be taught in one of the semesters in a year [only autumn or only spring]- but never cancelled).

You seem really interested in doing IT and Int.Stds. in Japanese, so my recommendation is to do the combined degree =)

Caution123

HSC
Ok thanks a lot Huratio Looks like this degree will be my first preference :]

NITR0U5

HSC
Cool! This is the course ive enrolled for. I want to do Japan as my major as well. I haven't heard of anyone else doing this as a combined degree at UTS.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
OMG Im like you i want to do BA IT and Int Studie for Jap but damn i wont get in till next yr because of HSC ><.

Is it hard to get into IT in UTS i heard it is.

What the minimum UAI for a Combine Subject for BA IT and Int Studie for Jap. I'm aiming for at least 75 - 87 uai and 10 bonus point from my disadvantage circumstance.

NITR0U5

HSC
I got 78.85. The cut off this year was like 82 so i got some form of bonus points from somewhere.

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
According to the UAC late round offers for year beginning 2008, there were likely to be vacancies in this combined program as well as just the IT program in the final round. This could change in a year or two. But generally, UTS is mostly competitive for communication and design programs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)