nursing - hsc leaver - assumed knowledge (1 Viewer)

ntl07

HSC
N/A
Hey all, i'm just wondering i plan to study at UTS and i dropped chemistry, biology and 2u Maths at the end of yr 11 and is it essential to have 'assumed knowledge' in science and maths to proceed into nursing?

Thanks!

GMK

HSC
lol...check your UAC guide, it should have all the assumed knowledge in there somewhere, just have to dig around in the index for a while =P

krayzie_

HSC
Hey

Any two units of science and any two units of mathematics are recommended.

It's not essential but if you had it then better for you. I studied no science in HS and I found it abit hard but in the end it was ok.l

absolutepureobl

manic monday
HSC
There is no real assumed knowledge. You'll just have to work a bit harder than those who studied science subjects previously. I studied Bio, Chem, PE, and Gen Maths which have all helped me tremendously with understanding the course but it's definately possibly to do it and get great marks starting with no knowledge. One of my friends this year didn't study and sciences or maths for the HSC and did fine.

HSC
Yea it just depends on your ability to pick up the concepts etc. One of the science based nursing courses "pathophysiology" does cover a few science things covered in the HSC but their quite basic so u should be fine :)

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
I hear you have to get 100% in some exam that deals with math [drug dosages etc]. Is it hard math? Would year 12 general math be an appropriate prerequisite for the nursing course or are we talking advanced math?

upright

HSC
N/A
I think you should be OK. The maths is mainly "ratio and proportion" and "long division" for drug dosage/calculations and drip rates (i.e. IV fluids). You're not allowed to use a calculator.

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
oh ok... i need to brush up on long division lol i suck at it.

would chemistry have been a good subject to have done in the hsc if doing nursing? i dropped out of it b/c i hated it... is there alot of chem in the nursing course?

upright

HSC
N/A
shanti96 said:

would chemistry have been a good subject to have done in the hsc if doing nursing? i dropped out of it b/c i hated it... is there alot of chem in the nursing course?
I did chem in high school. You should be fine without doing any chemistry.

Nickytoto

HSC
shanti96 said:

Some parts of A&P have chem aspects. In not so much the same stuff as from highschool Chem, but using the same sort of thought patterns. It's not a major part of the course. Really the subjects IMHO that are going to help you in a nursing course are Health, Bio, Chem, and Advanced English. :)

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
is stand. english ok?

quick question. do you guys print out lecture notes for class?

HSC
Yea standard eng is fine as long as u can structure an essay u should be fine.

Yeps i print all my lec notes and take them to the lec and write all the stuff they mention next to what they are referring too, i find it easier.

Goodluck Shanti its ur first day tomorrow!

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
first day was a bit oerwhelming.... firstly, lab was called off and I had nothing to do for 5 hrs and then patho lec was really scary. the terms they were using were just so :S

overall, I am just pissed b/c I found out there was a scholarship that I could have applied for but missed out on b/c i didnt even know about it..that equity one...ugh.

upright

HSC
N/A
shanti96 said:
is stand. english ok?

quick question. do you guys print out lecture notes for class?
I did Standard English. I highly recommend starting the assignments early (especially Children's and Cellular).

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
^ ok! atm I have only been assigned reading critically. easy? hard?

HSC
it looks extremely easy and straight forward...question 5. why do you want to be a nurse...easy!

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
lol are we on the same page here?

Question 5. What assumptions does the author make about the audience for his / her article? Are you the kind of person s/he wrote the article for? Who might agree or disagree with the ideas?

HSC
that was question 3
question 5 is.
breifly outline your aspirations for your nursing career, in other words why you choose nursing and what career path you imagine following in nursing. has this article informed your plan in any way? what other information would you need to make a realistic plan?

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
^ yup its for DoN

But on uts online, its way different. there seems to be more Q.

but I see what ur saying. in the subject outline booklet they gave its only 5 Q.

Georgie, are you going to be selling your last year TB?... I would be very interested in buying b/c Im not that thrilled at the though of dishing out hundreds of dollars on the textbooks. the ones I really want is the Pathophysiology: The Biological Basis For Disease In Adults And Children and Potter and Perry's fundamentals of nursing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)