BA/LLB (International Studies) Questions (1 Viewer)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
I just have a few questions about the BA (International Studies)/LLB program at UTS and was hoping that some current, or past UTS students might be able to give me a hand in providing some answers.

International Studies

First of all, I was wondering how the intensity and depth of language studies in a combined International Studies degree rates compared to say, studying the language as a major in a combined BA at say USyd or UNSW. For example, it would seem at UTS (for BA/LLB) you can only study 32 credit points from Language and Culture, whilst the rest are other International Studies units (including the in-country study). At other universities however, more language units can be taken. In addition, you could do a double major in more than one foreign language, whereas as far as I know, the BA International Studies only lets you have one major in one country.

I realise that an in-country study is invaluable in gaining fluency in a foreign language, but it just seems that you are able to study the language in more depth (say, in an Honours program for example) at other universities, albeit without the opportunity for such a long exchange. Is there any truth in this?

Law

The second thing I was wondering about was the Arts/Law balance in comparison to other unis. Whilst for example, both BA/LLBs at UTS and UNSW have a total of 240 units of credit, there are 144cp for Law at UTS whilst UNSW has 154. Is ten credit points of law that much of a difference when graduating? Have you really missed out on that much? Oh, and are you able to do cross-institutional study when it comes to Law electives, or is that a stupid question?

Basically to put all this waffling in a nutshell: is there a major difference between the intensity and depth at which you can study a language and law subjects at UTS as compared to say UNSW?

maka

HSC
I can try and answer the law part.

The 10CP really make no difference. In law, there are mandatory core areas that each degree must teach known as the Priestley 11,such as Contracts, Torts, Property Law etc. Each degree will teach these areas although in different depth and with different names.

The only difference really is how the unis break up the material. Some unis have 2 subjects on that area such as Criminal Law 1 and Criminal Law 2 whilst other will just have 1 subject such as Criminal Law.

Effectively, you miss out on nothing. No one cares about the CP that one completes. The degree is what matters. You can do cross institutional study as long as the "home" university doesnt have the same subject on offer.

Academically speaking, you will not be disadvantaged by the structure of the course. The amount of credit points in the end is irrelevant. You get taught the same areas of law at either university.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Okay, so "academically speaking" there are no disadvantages. When you say "the degree is what matters", do you mean the fact that you have completed the LLB itself or that you have completed the degree at University X or Y?

If you're referring to getting the LLB at say UTS as compared to USyd, am I right in thinking (from the many threads on the issue) that as long as you: work hard, are good at what you do, enjoy what you are studying - completing a LLB at UTS instead of USyd or UNSW makes very little difference when it comes to employability and career prospects in the future?

Can anyone shed any light on those International Studies questions?

maka

HSC
I think the main thing is that you actually do a Law degree. Thats what matters the most.

I think on the most part, employers aren't really overly focused upon where you obtain your law degree from. They want to see a good all round person who will be an asset to them. People skills are very important.

In saying that some firms will focus upon UNSW and USYD students but they are a very small minority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)