serious decision to make- drop a degree.. (1 Viewer)

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
hai ,

I think I need help to make one of the most serious decisions I will have to make very soon.

I am currently doing my first semester in BscIT and business progam and I am not very happy with the progam and I am planning of dropping the Bscit progam of the double degree.

I feel like my first two subjects in the IT degree were very very boring, CIPT and Introduction to Information systems even though they are not very difficult. Now, I am thinking not to continue because if I cant enjoy my degree, then there s no point continuing with the progam...

And instead major in banking and finance and get the CFA designation,and quickly do Masters in Finance...

I would like to help with the following questions.

What is the procedure if I want to drop my IT degree and only do business?

Since I already have enrolled in my IT subjects commencing in spring semester, could this be a problem?

To whom should I speak to regarding my decision to drop the IT part and only do business?

Let me know what you guys would do in my position

spence

HSC
You can still change your enrolment for Spring, so I'd suggest you withdraw from your IT subjects for next semester, and enrol in more business ones. Then at the end of the year reapply through UAC for B Business.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
spence said:
You can still change your enrolment for Spring, so I'd suggest you withdraw from your IT subjects for next semester, and enrol in more business ones. Then at the end of the year reapply through UAC for B Business.
Nah dropping from a double degree is an internal transfer; as found in the first criterion here

http://www.sau.uts.edu.au/enrolment/continuing/internalcoursetransfers.html

Talk to people doing B IT, and ask em what the other subjects they do are like. Do what spence said, and withdraw from your spring IT subjects and take business ones instead, and once your B IT friends have finished their 2nd semester, ask them again what their course is like.

You haven't been charged for the spring semester yet, and won't be til sometime around the end of August. You're gonna do the business subjects anyway and it wont cost you any money, and not finishing the IT electives is an $1800 loss. Oh yeah, once you drop to BBus you'll have a hard time getting back into the double degree if you change your mind.

maka

HSC
The above two posters gave great info.

I'll just add.

If you want the IT subjects to count, you could always do this:

• Major
  • Sub Major
  • 24CP of electives

When I was at UTS (and I will be back next sem), I did HRM major, Foundations of Law and was going to do 24CP of law electives but I went to MQ and I wanna come back.

HSC
Azamakumar said:
Nah dropping from a double degree is an internal transfer; as found in the first criterion here

http://www.sau.uts.edu.au/enrolment/continuing/internalcoursetransfers.html

Talk to people doing B IT, and ask em what the other subjects they do are like. Do what spence said, and withdraw from your spring IT subjects and take business ones instead, and once your B IT friends have finished their 2nd semester, ask them again what their course is like.

You haven't been charged for the spring semester yet, and won't be til sometime around the end of August. You're gonna do the business subjects anyway and it wont cost you any money, and not finishing the IT electives is an $1800 loss. Oh yeah, once you drop to BBus you'll have a hard time getting back into the double degree if you change your mind.
i hope u do realise that by doing a finance major at uts u don't get the cfa. you really haven't thought about anything and done any research if you think that since that is very stupid. the cfa is probably the hardest exam you could ever do in a business/finance environment just hope you realise just how difficult it is.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
hi,

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yeah I know that I am not going to get the CFA designation through UTS, but only the 70% knowledge to eventually sit the exam for the CFA. I also know that it is the toughest one out there, but if I want to get it, then it is better to focus more on the business side.

The reason why I had chosen IT and business was due to the flexibility I would get once I graduated with both degrees. Since I am not enjoying the IT subjects so far, it probably is better to focus solely on the business degree, put all my time into it and get better grades than I would by doing both degrees.

I think I will think my final decision over the weekend.

BTW, is it really possible to do like this, in one semester ,I ll only take IT subjects and in the next semester only business subjects ....?

Ps. I am an international student

Thank you for replying

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
The problem with spence's suggestion is that because you are doing a double degree of BScIT/BBus, an allocation of all business subjects next semester could be picked up on the system. Not quite sure if this is 100% correct, but it seems to have something to do with class number allocations (you are allocated 12cps of business and 12cps of IT every semester).

Azamakumar is correct in suggesting an internal course transfer, because both courses do belong to the Faculty of IT. You don't have to wait one year to do an internal course transfer, you can do it after your first semester. Be mindful that: "Applications for Spring semester 2008 will open on Monday 12 May 2008... Applications will close at 5pm on Friday June 27."- so you don't really have to make up your decision too quickly.

Another point I would like to bring up is that CITP and Introduction to Information Systems are core subjects and do not reflect the whole course. Just because you didn't enjoy these two subjects (I found an equivalent IIS subject boring, and I've heard CITP is one of the worst subjects in post-2006 introduced).

You will have to consider that if you do the ICT that you will lose your 12cps of IT if you do go onto a straight Business course (well it depends). As a business student, you have the option to choose an Information Technology as a major or submajor (which you can carry your 12cps of IT and do a couple of extra IT subjects to complete- losing nothing), or do non-IT majors/submajors and you will lose your 12cps.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I transferred from BScIT to BBus/BComp (via internal course transfer), and I know a couple of people who dropped the BBus/BComp to BBus or BScIT.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
Huratio said:
The problem with spence's suggestion is that because you are doing a double degree of BScIT/BBus, an allocation of all business subjects next semester could be picked up on the system. Not quite sure if this is 100% correct, but it seems to have something to do with class number allocations (you are allocated 12cps of business and 12cps of IT every semester).

Azamakumar is correct in suggesting an internal course transfer, because both courses do belong to the Faculty of IT. You don't have to wait one year to do an internal course transfer, you can do it after your first semester. Be mindful that: "Applications for Spring semester 2008 will open on Monday 12 May 2008... Applications will close at 5pm on Friday June 27."- so you don't really have to make up your decision too quickly.

Another point I would like to bring up is that CITP and Introduction to Information Systems are core subjects and do not reflect the whole course. Just because you didn't enjoy these two subjects (I found an equivalent IIS subject boring, and I've heard CITP is one of the worst subjects in post-2006 introduced).

You will have to consider that if you do the ICT that you will lose your 12cps of IT if you do go onto a straight Business course (well it depends). As a business student, you have the option to choose an Information Technology as a major or submajor (which you can carry your 12cps of IT and do a couple of extra IT subjects to complete- losing nothing), or do non-IT majors/submajors and you will lose your 12cps.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I transferred from BScIT to BBus/BComp (via internal course transfer), and I know a couple of people who dropped the BBus/BComp to BBus or BScIT.
So basically I cant do one semester full of business subjects and the remaining one on IT subjects? I think this way I could perform much better.

Talked to a friend doing first semester in Bscit. He said that CIPT and IIS were a bit dull but other subjects like websystems progamming fundamentals are alright.

Could people doing their second year , give a quick description about the subjects they did and how it was to do... would appreciate it.

Thanks

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
samuraitor said:
So basically I cant do one semester full of business subjects and the remaining one on IT subjects? I think this way I could perform much better.

Talked to a friend doing first semester in Bscit. He said that CIPT and IIS were a bit dull but other subjects like websystems progamming fundamentals are alright.

Could people doing their second year , give a quick description about the subjects they did and how it was to do... would appreciate it.

Thanks
Yeah. You can load up 18cps of business and 6cps of IT, but I think if you go to 24cps business you would either be blocked or have to have a legitimate reason for it.

I don't think I can give you a quick description for the subjects.. my subjects are the pre-2006 ones.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
Huratio said:
Yeah. You can load up 18cps of business and 6cps of IT, but I think if you go to 24cps business you would either be blocked or have to have a legitimate reason for it.

I don't think I can give you a quick description for the subjects.. my subjects are the pre-2006 ones.
thanks Huratio.

I will talk to the course advisors and try to 18 cps of business and 6 cps of IT and in the next semester the other way around.

I have also planned to do the summer semester if any of my subjects are available

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Just a heads up about the summer sessions- IT do not offer any subjects in summer, but business does.

Check out this website in October of this year to find out what subjects will be offered. The ones up there atm are from last year (which are not indicative of what the subjects will be offered this year, due to changes in demand and staff availabilities).

http://www.business.uts.edu.au/students/summer/

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
Huratio said:
Just a heads up about the summer sessions- IT do not offer any subjects in summer, but business does.

Check out this website in October of this year to find out what subjects will be offered. The ones up there atm are from last year (which are not indicative of what the subjects will be offered this year, due to changes in demand and staff availabilities).

http://www.business.uts.edu.au/students/summer/
Thanks for the reply.

So it is possible to take 18 cps in business and 6 in IT and the other way around?

If the answer is yes, then lovely... shut down the thread, problem fixed....

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
samuraitor said:
Thanks for the reply.

So it is possible to take 18 cps in business and 6 in IT and the other way around?

If the answer is yes, then lovely... shut down the thread, problem fixed....
Yes. You can take 18cps of business+6cps of IT, or 6cps of business+18cps of IT.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
Huratio said:
Yes. You can take 18cps of business+6cps of IT, or 6cps of business+18cps of IT.

Ok, perfect , I'll just confirm with the student centre and thats it...

Problem resolved. You may lock the thread.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
ok, just received an email from Jim underwwod, apparently my e-reqest for changing my study plan has been denied.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
samuraitor said:
ok, just received an email from Jim underwwod, apparently my e-reqest for changing my study plan has been denied.
You don't need to e-request to select 18cps of business and 6cps of IT btw.. or is it for a different reason?

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
Huratio said:
You don't need to e-request to select 18cps of business and 6cps of IT btw.. or is it for a different reason?
Alrite, yesterday I talked to the staff at student centre regarding my study plan.Apparently the woman neither said yes or no about me taking three business and one IT and reverse.

She just said that I might be blocked if I am not taking even number of business subjects per semester, if blocked send an e-request for removing the block.

Also yesterday, I received answer om my e-request(sent for 10 days ago) as my web enrolment function was not listed in my one stop admin.

I also explained in e-request that I wanted to to 18 cps business and 6 cps IT and reverse.

Jim said that no changes were made in my study plan, and e-request was denied, however the web enrolment system is working now, lol...

P.s I enrolled in BSTATS at KG

What you think now that you now the full story?

Last edited:

maka

HSC
Mate, if you dont want to do IT just drop out of it.

Or even better just tell them when you put in an e request that you are considering dropping IT and would like to do 4 Business subjects. They will probably let you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)