UTS(good or bad) (1 Viewer)

dreamland

HSC
Hi i was thinking is UTS a good uni to go to?????? some people tell me its not. But i consider it to be good, and anyways does what type of uni u go to really matter???

runnable

HSC
UTS is good if you can't make it to USyd or UNSW. In New South Wales, those two uni are better than UTS is almost every count. I think the UAI cut-offs for UTS also shows that its in less demand than USyd or UNSW... and people always go to better things :p

Uni does matter, its like going to Harvard or UWS...

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
I don't believe that they are "good" or "better" but they are much higher in demand for SOME courses. I mean I'm sure that a lot of people would do Engineering at UTS rather than USYD as they are more tech based.

All I can say is that it depends on the course you want to do which determines the university that will be better suited to your needs. I'm sure that most uni courses are very much similar throughout, with content and all.

But of course, if you were to get a job as a doctor or something, the applicant that went to USYD would most definitely get picked over those who went to UWS.

Last edited:

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
it's win for media courses dude

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
But of course, if you were to get a job as a doctor or something, the applicant that went to USYD would most definitely get picked over those who went to UWS.
that isn't necessarily true. medical courses are so heavily regulated and prescribed that there's not actually that much difference between them. uws med is very modern and blah blah blah , or so i hear.

to answer the op's question, every university has its strengths and weaknesses, so you can't just say 'University X is better than University Y, full stop'. when asking these sorts of questions, it helps to fill us in on what sort of subjects you're interested in studying. UTS is strong on design, journalism, that sort of thing, extremely weak on humanities since it basically doesn't offer them, have no idea about their commerce, engo, science stuff.

conics2008

HSC
uts is pretty good im looking forward for going to it next year!

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
Oh My God. WTF.

Hmm... WTF?

OMFG.

You must be brain-dead.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
runnable said:
I think the UAI cut-offs for UTS also shows that its in less demand than USyd or UNSW... and people always go to better things :p
wrong. Too many people are sheep and will believe anything they hear. They will see USyd cutoffs are high and want to go there. So the high cutoff attracts more students and more students means a high demand. And so the cutoff stays high.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
wrong. Too many people are sheep and will believe anything they hear. They will see USyd cutoffs are high and want to go there. So the high cutoff attracts more students and more students means a high demand. And so the cutoff stays high.
UAI cut-off is determined by the demand & the quality of the students applying for. That is why UAI cut-off is usually different to the previous years. :)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
lyounamu said:
UAI cut-off is determined by the demand & the quality of the students applying for. That is why UAI cut-off is usually different to the previous years. :)
you missed my point namu.

simply put:
cutoff =/= quality of course.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:

simply put:
Ok, I thought you meant that university determines the UAI cut-off. Sorry.

And yeah, you are right. cut-off =/= quality of course. :)

runnable

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:

With the UAI cut-off for UNSW and USyd way up in the 95+ for courses like Law, Commerce etc... You would think the students applying are not duds. They would've done their own fair share of research and thinking.

And all international papers rank UNSW and USyd above UTS in every count. I think they have done some research as well.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
runnable said:
With the UAI cut-off for UNSW and USyd way up in the 95+ for courses like Law, Commerce etc... You would think the students applying are not duds. They would've done their own fair share of research and thinking.

And all international papers rank UNSW and USyd above UTS in every count. I think they have done some research as well.
source?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
i heard that title goes to UNSW :confused:
Australian School of Business.

Omium said:
Oh My God. WTF.

Hmm... WTF?

OMFG.

You must be brain-dead.
ill secks u both lol

BackCountrySnow said:

simply put:

runnable said:

So many students applied for Commerce at UNSW it's not funny and that's why the UAI cut-off is pretty high.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
runnable said:
Prestige. USyd & UNSW are more prestigious. Also, a lot of people who do comm and comm/law are pushed into it by their asian parents. They might not have done their fair share of research at all. They might not of even had a say in the decision. A lot of asian parents care a lot about prestige.

they also rank ANU above UNSW and USyd and look at the ANU cutoffs..
Cutoff =/= quality of the course

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
i always thought USyd and UNSW were good for med courses and UTS for tech courses

runnable

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Prestige. USyd & UNSW are more prestigious. Also, a lot of people who do comm and comm/law are pushed into it by their asian parents. They might not have done their fair share of research at all. They might not of even had a say in the decision. A lot of asian parents care a lot about prestige.

they also rank ANU above UNSW and USyd and look at the ANU cutoffs..
Cutoff =/= quality of the course

They are prestigious... but not good... compared to UTS? How did they gain that reputation in the first place. If UTS is truely that good... it will have the same prestige dw about that.

We only compare the quality of schools' courses with other factors held equal. So ANU shouldnt be brought into this discussion due to its location, which is a very significant factor. Think of Unis in NSW, you are comparing UTS and USyd/UNSW, not ANU.

runnable

HSC
BIGTYMA said:
Any international University rankings. Find one that ranks UTS higher than USyd and UNSW in any faculty or area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)