Best Uni for IT..? (1 Viewer)

davidau251

HSC
i was jus wondering.. of all the main unis in sydney.. usyd, unsw, uts and macquirie... which uni would be the best in doing an IT course in regards of getting a job.. as in which degree would most likely prepare me for work.. and provide facilities etc.. in order to get into the industry.. i heard that UTS students are more workk ready and have better facilities then usyd and unsw though the other 2 have more prestige..

thnx in advance for advice =]

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
The Faculty of IT at UTS is undoubtedly the best in terms of being more practical and making you ready to work in the industry. IT recruiters also judge UTS IT graduates very highly in the market. The USyd and UNSW degrees in computer science are very much more theoretical and don't give you alot for the practical side of IT as much as an IT degree at UTS would give you.

You can check out the courses available here: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/index.html

mysteek1

HSC
davidau251 said:
i was jus wondering.. of all the main unis in sydney.. usyd, unsw, uts and macquirie... which uni would be the best in doing an IT course in regards of getting a job.. as in which degree would most likely prepare me for work.. and provide facilities etc.. in order to get into the industry.. i heard that UTS students are more workk ready and have better facilities then usyd and unsw though the other 2 have more prestige..

thnx in advance for advice =]
Hi David,

You might be correct in saying that degrees from USYD and UNSW are viewed as being more prestige than UTS. However, this goes without saying that UTS has only become a university in the past 20 or so years, in which time they have achieved a lot. So the issue of prestige will definitely change as UTS continues to churn over a high caliber of graduates. In today’s work force, employers are not necessarily looking for students with “prestigious” degrees but as you said, graduates who are work ready.

UTS, particularly the IT faculty has positioned itself very nicely as it prides itself on the practical aspect of IT. This is supported by the faculty as it facilitates the practical learning process by not only teaching you the theoretical concepts, but also applying it to a practical application and also developing your soft skills which are required to survive in IT. An example which springs to mind is a subject within the IT course called “Systems development Project.” Students undertaking an applications development major are placed in a group of 10 students and are required to develop a system, from start the planning and designing phases through to coding, implementing and developing user documentations.

The subjects offered are focused at making you ready for the work force rather than teaching you theoretical things such as mathematical concepts etc (might be required if you are doing a games development sub major – in which case these concepts are taught).

As Huratio mentioned, UTS graduates are definitely highly regarded in the market. (I can say this because I’ve been to interviews where companies have mentioned this).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)