The reputation of the UTS Visual Communications course? (1 Viewer)

FDownes

HSC
I've actually just completed my first year of study in Visual Communications at UTS, and even though I really enjoy the course (despite the sleepless nights and stress) and believe I'm well suited for it, I still have doubts.

My main question is regarding the reputation of the UTS VisComm course. It IS fairly difficult to get in to, but a high UAI (or ATAR for you current school leavers) does not a good course make. The tutors seem qualified and the facilities are good, but will it get me where I need to be before I leave?

I guess this begs another question: is it worth studying graphic design/visual communications at all? I'm sure a lot of people have the same doubts, what with the stigma attached to studying a creative field, but I can't help worrying whether or not this path will give me a secure future.

So there you have it, basically I'm just anxious about the future. Does anyone have anything to say?

tonyharrison

HSC
i asked myself the exact same question when choosing my preferences.
atar was pretty high, i was surprised.

i went to the UTS design exhibition thing and iunno...just didn't seem like a field that would provide a lot of income.

personally i'm more interested in Industrial Design at UTS.
any comments?

msh

HSC
i personally think there are more job opportunities in communication design as EVERY cooperation/business requires a creative design strategy. Just look around, everything is designed.

geegables

HSC
I've actually just completed my first year of study in Visual Communications at UTS, and even though I really enjoy the course (despite the sleepless nights and stress) and believe I'm well suited for it, I still have doubts.

My main question is regarding the reputation of the UTS VisComm course. It IS fairly difficult to get in to, but a high UAI (or ATAR for you current school leavers) does not a good course make. The tutors seem qualified and the facilities are good, but will it get me where I need to be before I leave?

I guess this begs another question: is it worth studying graphic design/visual communications at all? I'm sure a lot of people have the same doubts, what with the stigma attached to studying a creative field, but I can't help worrying whether or not this path will give me a secure future.

So there you have it, basically I'm just anxious about the future. Does anyone have anything to say?
Hey I'm in 4th year at the moment. To be honest i used to question the course as well when i was in your position.. i didn't even know why i chose it actually apart from the fact i had an interest in doing something creative as going down a business path seemed like hell.

As you progress you learn the amount of job opportunities out there. The Sydney design industry in particular is booming, and you will learn this in 2nd and 3rd year where you go out to interview design agencies and undertake an internship with one in 3rd year. What i've learnt about UTS and our reputation in the industry is there are so many graduates out there holding the art director jobs. What differentiates us from the private colleges is they churn out work and have very very good skills in design but have trouble conceptually.. whereas UTS graduates are able to produce stronger ideas as well as hold the design skills.

bettina44

HSC
Old thread, but I'll say my two cents. It really doesn't matter which institution you go to. The people who teach us teach at multiple unis, they don't have an allegiance to one uni so the standard they expect and the stuff you learn is practically the same. While UTS has a high ATAR cut off (which is set by demand and not quality of the course) that doesn't dictate your chances of becoming a great designer. Great designers come from all sorts of institutions what makes them great are that they work their asses off just like school - you have the people who work hard and the slackers. So I don't think you can really go wrong deciding where you want to study. And if you want a good job with a good income after uni, be good at what you do and negotiate. :)

On another note, I was in the same year as the original poster, Fdownes and he is now a freaking awesome motion designer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)