BA Media & Communications (Journalism) in International Studies - curiosity (1 Viewer)

life4_rent

hey all..

im not sure if any uni students use this forum.. lol, this place is flooded with frenzied hsc students looking 4 notes..

just outta curiosity, is there anyone out ther doing 'BA Media & Communications (Journalism) in International Studies'? im kinda wondering wat was involved? i really want to do this course.. cept the uai this year's a staggering 97.00-ish *freaks out*

any comments would be appreciated.. im a yr12 student btw.. doing obscure texts for english advanced and english ext.1.. i swear, my school has issues.. lol =)

-maggie xox

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm doing journalism.... I wanted to double it with int std but missed out.... what do you want to know exactly?

life4_rent

wow.. i got replies *feels special* :D

just info in general, i guess. what do your topics revolve around? what assessment tasks do you guys have to do? is there any hands on experience? excursions? are you guys loving the course or are u regretting you ever chose it?

i'm guessing there's some research involved in the course.. lol, thats an understatement, i think. i'm also doing a media, arts & journalism course at tafe as part of my hsc along with 4u english, 3u maths, physics & modern hist... lol, im insane.. doin 13u for my hsc :D

did u guys hav to pay ne fees? my dad says the only fees we'll end up paying is for student unions, bt then, he attended uni ages ago, so i wouldnt' know. plus all my cousins are too busy WITH uni, so i can never track them down to ask questions =)

-maggie xox

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Umm... have you heard of HECS fees? You have to pay HECS!!!!

So far, there are common subjects for first year (same accross all the comm degrees) and they are more theoretical/historical/social type studies... then you have your professional subject ie journalism where you start developing those skills.

In journalism you pretty much get straight in to practical stuff.... local area research to prepare stories... we even have mock press conferences and stuff later in the semester. You also learn about the "art" of journalism lol.

Dunno about excursions yet lol.

I also did 13 units for my HSC :)

EroticCity

Hey im doing 13 units too lol

These media and communications courses...don't they have a reputation of being "airy fairy" subjects as no one really gets a job in the field???

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well they do kinda have that reputation but it isn't really justified. A media comm degree without specialization has really broad career outcomes, but when you specialize (eg. journalism, or even further specialization such as radio journalism, print journalism etc) it really does lead you down a path to a career. Think about how huge the media industry is.... someone has to work in it!!!! Why not the people who are qualified to?

At UTS especially the courses are very practical and hands on. When it comes to the professional subjects they certainly aren't airy fairy.

Also, heaps of engineering, law, business graduates don't get jobs in their field either. It's not just media students who don't find jobs in their field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)