National Day of Action (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Did anyone go, or were inadvertantly at UTS when it was on? Cos when I walked past UTS at 3.30pm there were police cars and security people everywhere and no scary lefties to be seen. I wonder what happened? Maybe it got broken up or something....

But I noticed that there were heaps of police all around Broadway before it happened. I saw 12 police people around UTS/Railway Square at about 12.15..... normally you barely see any.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Go Protesters. I think it's great that people still protest for what they believe in.

I refer to the deeply profound quote in my sig...

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think that it is good that they protest, but I wouldn't get involved with the student association until I saw what their idea of a protest was. A peaceful protest is one thing, but I would never be involved in the type of stuff they did at Monash.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Did anyone just watch 10 news? All about the violent protests at UTS, police had to use capsicum spray etc!

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
yeah, it didn't look too peaceful. hmmm, i wonder if the violence was provoked or the root cause of police reaction. Remember, we as communications students have to scrutinise everything the media presents to us.

Carlito

HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Did anyone just watch 10 news? All about the violent protests at UTS, police had to use capsicum spray etc!
They filmed all the protests and speaches at USYD but it was mostly peaceful, so of course they didnt show any of it... too boring for them...
Originally posted by Tenax Propositi
yeah, it didn't look too peaceful. hmmm, i wonder if the violence was provoked or the root cause of police reaction. Remember, we as communications students have to scrutinise everything the media presents to us.
man those police looked like brutal attacks, physically abusing that girl and throwing her on the ground.. and spraying capsican spray in peoples eyes

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
i was there when it happend
i was even on the news on channel 7, i wasnt interviewed, i was just in the background

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
around 1:15 nothing violent was happening, just a lot of swearing in the crowd outside and a couple of officers inside...i think the fights and stuff happened around 2..theres were heaps more people then..but its good they had the sit in thing after in the great hall..

MoNNiE

HSC
yer it was around 2ish or so... when they were like at the chancellory....
ahh ... funny stuff...well ihad intro to civil in building 2 429... we could still hear them...but it kinda died down afterwards..cus everyone sorta dispersed to class! (i think!)

doma

rite...
HSC
"student power, storm the tower!"

great how alot of the chants rhyme

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I was around. I walked through it around 1pm on my way to Building 10. On the way back, I walked via Thomas St coz I could hear the big crowd, and I noticed the street was closed for a little while, didn't want to walk thru it again.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I wouldn't be here if I was. Go back to your UWS forum!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha go me, lectures at building 4 and markets all day...didn't see or hear a thing. :)

I ran into Mark on the way down though, maybe he saw something on the way to building 10?

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i was there for a bit. it's sort of odd, cos i know most of the speakers at the NDA (and one of the guys that co-ordinated the monash action). seeing your friends on the news is odd.

minus points to the cops for using oleoresin capsicum in an enclosed space, and without warning beforehand. that stuff can mess you up pretty badly if you've got asthma. and it really stings your skin and eyes.

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Our VC looks more like a footballer than an academic, has anyone noticed that?

His email seemed pretty lame too.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
watch out for the next issue of vertigo! NDA coverage/responses, and an "edited" version of the VC's email...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)