Advice to future Bachelor of Business students at UTS (1 Viewer)

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
-Do one subject each semester (part time study) and get a part time job. The UTS Careers Service will help you out. Aim to maximise your results in B Bus. The better your results the better your career and remuneration will be.
-Work experience is vital in landing a job in the corporate world.
- Aim to get High Distinction in all your subjects.
-I know a friend of mine who did Bachelor of Business at UTS who only got a pass average, with no work experience and is unable to get a job.
-A relative of mine did four subjects (Bachelor of Business) each semester she got an ATAR of 97.75 and failed all four subjects in her first semester in first year. University is not the same thing as high school; there is a very high level of independent learning. You are not spoon fed like in high school and you cannot copy other people’s essays, there is plagiarism detection software called Turn It In.
- Aim to come first at UTS in a subject and it will look very good on your Resume. Remember that UTS is a top five per cent business school in the world accredited by the AACSB.
- Use the chapter summaries from the textbook and use the tutorial questions as the framework for forming your notes.
- Form a study group with four people
-Do every textbook questions, tutorial questions, online questions and past paper questions.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Thanks for that. Regarding the person who got 97 atar, is 4 subjects each semester the usual amount for a full time degree or did they accelerate?

jet

Banned
HSC
It's worth pointing out that achieving a High Distinction in every subject is an incredibly difficult task and requires a very large amount of dedication. The same goes for ranking first in a subject.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Thanks for that. Regarding the person who got 97 atar, is 4 subjects each semester the usual amount for a full time degree or did they accelerate?
4 units per semester is considered a normal, full time load at most universities. It is still a hell of a lot of work and some students choose to underload in order to maximise their grades and pursue extra-curricular activities, especially in 3rd year when the content starts to get tricky.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
I am a full time student and still manage to maintain a balance between study, work and leisure. It is up to the individual to decide what they are capable of handling. I guess if I should add anything to your advice list - first years, please do not skip lectures, and please write your notes/summaries at the end of each week.

PS. Turn It In scares the heebie jeebies out of me! Even if you've done nothing wrong Turn It In still makes your heart skip three or so beats. D:

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Aim for high results and you will get high results. I did one subject each semester in spring 2012 and in Marketing Foundations I managed to get 87 per cent overall. I was aiming to be the number one Marketing student in the world with a perfect score of 100 per cent in Marketing Foundations. Instead I fell short by 13 per cent. I managed to get HD and I was ranked in the top two per cent of marketing students at UTS.

He who cherishes a lofty ideal in his heart will one day realise it. I am well on track to achieve my long term goal of becoming the CEO of Macquarie Bank or Goldman Sachs. I am doing Majors in Finance and Economics for my Bachelor of Business at UTS. I am planning to do Honours in Economics.

In high school I always wanted to become a) lawyer or b) Economist/ Business man. I ended up getting an ATAR of 92.75 excluding bonus points. I ended up getting into Bachelor of Business at UTS and ended up doing Economics. I also excelled in Business Law and Ethics the subject that existed prior to Integrating Business Perspectives. I managed to get 49/50 in the mid term exam plus individual assignment. Furthermore I achieved 85 per cent overall in Business Law and Ethics. My goal when doing Business Law was to become a company director. Hopefully I will become a CEO/ Non Executive Director of Macquarie Bank or Goldman Sachs.

My biggest advice is to maximise your results and do one subject each semester. Imagine getting a High Distinction average and First Class Honours with University Medal at UTS. One day I will achieve such a feat. God Bless UTS and may God continue to bless the students at UTS.

Dr.Dan

HSC
One subject per semester? Even students undertaking full-time work do at least 2

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
More students are focussed on doing one subject each semester more than ever. They want to maximise results and become company directors. I am doing Part time study (one subject each semester) I have a Distinction average so far. I am planning to work even harder and achieve High Distinction average. I am one of the top Business students at UTS. I am planning to do Bachelor of Laws after I finish Bachelor of Business (First Class Honours and University Medal in Economics plus Finance major). I then plan to become the CFO (Chief Financial Officer of Macquarie Bank).

Dr.Dan

HSC
Cool. Good aspirations, however you don't need a HD average for Macq Bank...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
More students are focussed on doing one subject each semester more than ever. They want to maximise results and become company directors. I am doing Part time study (one subject each semester) I have a Distinction average so far. I am planning to work even harder and achieve High Distinction average. I am one of the top Business students at UTS. I am planning to do Bachelor of Laws after I finish Bachelor of Business (First Class Honours and University Medal in Economics plus Finance major). I then plan to become the CFO (Chief Financial Officer of Macquarie Bank).
And how long is it going to take you to finish your degree...?

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
To finish my normal degree it will take 10 more years plus two years of part time study for First Class Honours in Economics and University medal.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Just saying, to fail all subjects in your first semester suggests you haven't even been going in to uni. I've only done one first semester business subject (IBP) but I got a HD in it without much effort.

I also think one subject a semester is a joke - even if you are working it will take like 12 years for you to graduate! HD average is a little unrealistic, ofcourse a pass average is going to be a problem but a solid credit average or distinction average should be fine depending on what kind of jobs you are hoping to get.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Just saying, to fail all subjects in your first semester suggests you haven't even been going in to uni. I've only done one first semester business subject (IBP) but I got a HD in it without much effort.

I also think one subject a semester is a joke - even if you are working it will take like 12 years for you to graduate! HD average is a little unrealistic, ofcourse a pass average is going to be a problem but a solid credit average or distinction average should be fine depending on what kind of jobs you are hoping to get.
^^ This. Unless you're studying like medicine or something, I really don't think you need to stay 10 years at uni O_O

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
If you have a disability or medical condition like Schizophrenia, Bipolar disorder, Depression or Anxiety disorder you can qualify for Special Needs at UTS and get a Disability Services Officer. As a result you get to sit a moderated exam which includes extra time per hour e.g. 15 minutes more per hour for an exam or quiz. For a 3 hour exam you would get 45 minutes extra. You can also get a peer tutor offered by UTS which is free of charge for a person with a medical condition or disability. For 24108 Marketing Foundations I got a peer tutor and as a result I managed to get High Distinction. Without a peer tutor I would only have got a pass.

If you got a bad result i.e. between 30-40 per cent you can qualify for Withdrawal without Financial Liability if you have a medical condition like Schizophrenia, Bi polar Disorder or Depression. You get that bad result wiped away from your academic record. At UTS if you fail a subject twice you get revoked from the course. So my advice is mitigating the risk of failure.

If you are struggling with the heavy workload and want to leave UTS (as a result of a medical condition) I highly suggest that you apply for Leave of Absence. The proposition that I use is the following "I have had a severe psychotic episode with symptoms such as delusions, hallucinations, thought disorder (unable to concentrate) and loss of contact with reality. Thus I request leave of absence to enable me to seek ‘treatment’ and successfully return to uni studies next year." NB: If you have a medical condition such as Schizophrenia you have unlimited Leave of Absences; all the best for your studies. Maximise your results.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Aren't you shooting yourself in the foot by only taking one subject per semester? You're neglecting the development of a lot of valuable skills (time management, effective study, performance under pressure etc.).

You're going to be badly prepared to cope with the stresses of a real job, and once you enter the workforce those high distinctions won't help you a bit.

Also, your peers will have 9 years more work experience than you.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Aren't you shooting yourself in the foot by only taking one subject per semester? You're neglecting the development of a lot of valuable skills (time management, effective study, performance under pressure etc.).

You're going to be badly prepared to cope with the stresses of a real job, and once you enter the workforce those high distinctions won't help you a bit.

Also, your peers will have 9 years more work experience than you.
Yeah, i agree with you. It's common for people at UTS, in engineering atleast, to swap to part time uni after getting a job (through internships usually) - but they are almost graduate positions. Starting uni off taking just one subject a semester just does not seem a good option to me, im sure there are circumstances where it is a good idea but it isn't for the average student.

builder2818

HSC
WTF? This is some of the stoopidest advice I have ever heard of. Why the hell would you want to take 12 years to do your degree? You have a snowflakes chance in hell of becoming CEO of MQG or Goldman's. I work full-time for one of the largest fund managers in the country and I study two subjects a semester at night, get blind drunk every Friday for after work drinks, stumble home at 6am every Saturday morning and I have gotten 3 distinctions and one HD (scored 95 in this accounting subject and still not the highest mark).

For anyone thinking they are having a hard time getting through their course, don't be disheartened. I have a friend who went to UWS and he failed some subjects while passing others and he has a corporate finance job for a large international finance company (which he got a few weeks before graduating this year). Another guy at my firm spent more time at the pub when he was at UTS and just scraped through his b.bus degree but now has a top analysts position in the company.

The point is, don't think you have to score D's and HD's to get a good career. If you lack any personality or social skills, all the tops marks you achieved won't help you develop those.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
WTF? This is some of the stoopidest advice I have ever heard of. Why the hell would you want to take 12 years to do your degree? You have a snowflakes chance in hell of becoming CEO of MQG or Goldman's. I work full-time for one of the largest fund managers in the country and I study two subjects a semester at night, get blind drunk every Friday for after work drinks, stumble home at 6am every Saturday morning and I have gotten 3 distinctions and one HD (scored 95 in this accounting subject and still not the highest mark).

For anyone thinking they are having a hard time getting through their course, don't be disheartened. I have a friend who went to UWS and he failed some subjects while passing others and he has a corporate finance job for a large international finance company (which he got a few weeks before graduating this year). Another guy at my firm spent more time at the pub when he was at UTS and just scraped through his b.bus degree but now has a top analysts position in the company.

The point is, don't think you have to score D's and HD's to get a good career. If you lack any personality or social skills, all the tops marks you achieved won't help you develop those.
Yeah, that amount of time is a massive waste of time. Actual work experience would be so much better to an employer then just having a HD average and no idea of how the concepts learnt actually apply in the real business world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)