bachelor of business and engineering (1 Viewer)

HSC
does any1 do this double degree at UTS, if so what are your experiences like is it fun, hows the course overall etc

Last edited:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I do the B Bus side of it (Law is my other degree) and I can say that it can be fun depending on how you study the degree - e.g. in study groups, by making friends, etc - and also in what efforts you go to to make the most out of your degree - e.g. joining and being active in multiple clubs, attending society networking events, etc. If you plan on just doing it by yourself and concentrating on finishing the degree as fast as possible, you'll find it boring and you won't feel like you're getting much out of university overall. For the most part the course is easy if you're willing to put the work in, but everyone has those 1 or 2 subjects that you just can't engage with and you perpetually struggle with - but that's normal for all students at every uni.

My two cents is that I really enjoy the course and have no regrets staying at UTS.

Brent012 will be able to help you specifically because he's 3rd year B Bus/Eng.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I like it, but its a long course. Especially if you opt to transfer into b eng b bus dip eng prac for the internships which makes it 6 years assuming you stay full time the whole course and follow the plan.

From comparing the first year business and engineering subjects the business ones have a lot more spoon feeding and as a whole are just easier, but there is the odd Eng subject that everyone seems to do well in.

Unfortunately the first business subject you will do will be a terrible bludge subject called IBP which will have some things in common with an engineering subject you've already done. Even straight business students don't like that subject so don't worry about it.

I also know people doing Eng/Bus who had a bit of difficulty with some of the first year business subjects like accounting, so just because business isnt as demanding its not necessarily a guarantee you'll do well in it.

As opposed to a straight business course, you'll have one major in business and obviously your major (and speciality/sub major) in Engineering.

5/8 first year eng subjects are core subjects so you'll be doing them with people in other majors, and people doing just engineering or some other combined course. Eventually you'll all have mostly different subjects and have very few classes together. That's typical in engineering though as people do their internships at different times, go part time, fail subjects etc.

Can't talk about any major specific subjects as I only really know ICT and you didn't mention what major you wanted to study.

Also, why do you want to do business? I originally planned to do management as a major, decided against that and am now thinking of doing it again. Keep changing what I want to do as my major because I didn't put too much thought into that before.

If you want to work in a business field, consider whether its worth doing engineering but if you want to be an engineer keep in mind that doing an MBA or MEM (engineering management) part time after you've been working for a while might be the better idea.

trolol101

HSC
If you do b business/engineering, are you qualified as the engineer that only did b engineering and get purely engineering related jobs? Also is there work placement for b business/engineering?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yes for the first question. Second depends, all accredited engineering courses have mandatory 60 days of work experience but eng/bus does not have the diploma in eng practice program through UAC - so you'd be doing the 60 days and not the two six month internships. You can internally transfer to add the diploma in engineering practice to a combined degree though.

Those would all be engineering positions though, if you want a business internship you'd have to do it all yourself.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes for the first question. Second depends, all accredited engineering courses have mandatory 60 days of work experience but eng/bus does not have the diploma in eng practice program through UAC - so you'd be doing the 60 days and not the two six month internships. You can internally transfer to add the diploma in engineering practice to a combined degree though.

Those would all be engineering positions though, if you want a business internship you'd have to do it all yourself.
but isnt that a choice, meaning you only have to do a Business internship if you are required too..

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You'd only do one of you want to, not part of the course

trolol101

HSC

Does having a diploma matter though?

Simile

HSC
N/A
So for this course, you do not get diploma In engineering?

Simile

HSC
N/A
I was llanning to apply for B eng/B eng/ diploma, but it says 'N/A on the Uts website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)