Construction project management - general info and questions (1 Viewer)

daniboy232

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys!

Ive started this thread since ive been getting a lot of questions about the course and UTS in general since i'm pretty much the only person active here doing it.

Context: Currently 3rd year part time bCPM student at UTS, studying part time and working as a Cadet.

*some questions have been taking out of others posts, but the answer is my reply.

Last edited:

daniboy232

HSC
Uni Grad
QUESTIONS 1:

Bachelor of Construction Project Management at UTS,

just wonder if anyone who does this course can give me an idea of how the course is as well as what you would do for it as a career, i know theres a list of careers provided but could someone describe to me what you do in it as a day to day job

ANSWER 1:

Hey,

Context: Currently 3rd year part time bCPM student at UTS, studying part time and working as a Cadet.

I don't know what you mean by 'how the course is' its really too vague to answer but, im going to try my best to answer it.
The course is generally really good!
Its a very diverse course which is the thing I like about it the most.
Its not a really hard course, I don't generally spend much time studying and I have a pretty good GPA (grade point average - average overall marks at uni). Its mostly about common sense but then again... common sense doesn't come easy for everyone.
Quite a laid back course.
People are generally pretty easy going in this course.
The course really pushes people towards gaining experience whilst studying, its generally meant to be like that for this course. There are a lot of jargon that they use and its quite confronting / confusing at the start.
As I said with gaining experince whilst studying... there is a minimum 200 day experience required before you can graduate.
Cadetships (same thing as internships) are generally how people get that experience but you can get it through any way as long as its construction related.
Cadetships are also generally easier to get in this degree than most other degrees, but dont forget it wont be handed to you.

Career wise;
Pretty much everyone going in wants to become a project manager. But unfortunately it takes around 10 years to get to that position. Its pretty much a senior managerial position - no ones going to make you senior manager if you dont have experience.

So with the career; you generally have 3 options to choose from when you finish your degree; (there is way too many things you do in a day to write it out so heres a summary. Also now that its a little more specific if you do a google search you should get some job lisitngs which will post roles and responsibilities)
1 - Contract administration - very generally speaking; Assistant to PM,Correspondence out, Correspondence in & Tendering for subbies
2 - Estimating - Pretty much estimating a job for a client in a period of 30 days. Getting quotes for trades - I.e; structural steel, doors, waterproofing, concrete, electrical hydraulic. its a high pressure role and you need to be able to think on your feet
3 - Site jobs; this include leading hand and project co-ordinator / site engineer

The best way to get a feel for all those three roles ^ is to get a cadetship from a construction company. It will let you experience all of them.

Becoming a PM also means you would need experience in all three of those categories.

Someone was bringing up 'too many wogs', but its quite multicultural at UTS - i'm a wog

daniboy232

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

I would just like to say sorry to anyone who gets offended at the answer of part 1 of the following question.

QUESTION 2:

hey, iv seen that you do bachelor of construction project management, and i want to do that course next year as well, but there is limited info about it.

Just a few questions if you dont mind,

1) whats uts like ? social life ? HAHA are there actually hot girls at uts ? just curious LMAO

2) With your course, how do you set yourself up with a cadetship ? or does the uni do it for you ?

3) how many days a week are you doing at uni now ? iv heard its like 2-3, and the rest they expect you get some industry experience ?

4) is a majority of the work in groups ? and do people actaully do some work HAHA ?

5) how many hours of study do you put in, and are you still passing ?
im a bit like you, i hate study but i have a reasonable level of logic

thanks !

ANSWER 2:

Hey man,

No problem! I know them feels, I could hardly find any information on it myself.

1)

UTS Generally has an 'alright' social life. If you're looking for a good social life UNSW > USYD / MACQ > UTS > UWS - well thats from what i know / heard. UTS' social is alright, they do have parties but going there and shit is a bitch and so on, so its up to you, but ive seen macqs parties and they go off the most, UNSW ive heard as well.

Hottest girls USYD > UTS > MACQ > UNSW > UWS .... but then again this depends on what type of girls you go for LOL. USYD and UTS more aussies. UNSW asian and UWS wogs

But in saying this.... If you're planning on doing construction project management, i have bad news for you son. Theres hardly any girls in this degree. Also, if you're like most students who do CPM, you generally work while you study so i generally get one day to goto uni.... so i dont spend much time there. so generally social life for a CPM student isnt great, unless you dont work LOL then IDK it might be good.

2)
Cadetship is the best way to get experience cause they pretty much let you expereience all parts of the industry; contract admin, estimating and site work.
Junior positions are generally more specific - 'junior estimator' so youre pretty much just doing that while youre there unless they have opportunities that come up in other fields.

Cadetships can be found through three ways;

A) Through the UNI - Theres a 'job opportunity board' where the head of the course posts job opportunities that are available. But lets not forget, everyone in the degree gets a chance to apply for it. I got my first cadetship via the UNI. But this is a good upside from UTS which has this. UWS doesn't and idk about UNSW.

B) Seek or other job seeking sites - Search for 'cadet' or ' junior' positions in the construction industry

C) Calling up companies you want to work at and literally asking if they have cadetships available and if/when theyre taking in applicants. AVOID (less for mid tier) calling Mid to Top tier companies because theyre less likely to take you if you have no experience in the industry.

If you want to work in a top tier company. Start a cadetship at a small construction company, get a year under your belt and THEN start applying for the top tier companies. This is the best way, but obviously there are exceptions.... You may be lucky to get one, but don't forget working at a HUGE company like lend lease isn't always the best when you start.

3)
I'm currently working 4 days a week (and sometimes saturdays. Yes saturdays) and get 1 day off for UNI. I know some people who work 3.5 days and get 1.5 days of UNI but they tend to do more saturday work and its generally harder to find a company that does it in that ratio.

If you're not working its generally 2 or 3 days at uni.

4)
This question made me LOL, because i don't like group work and had the same question myself when i was starting.

70% of the course is group work assignments > They're trying to make it as realistic as possible. If you want to work alone, the construction industry isnt for you unfortunately LOL.

Do people work? Yes and no, at the start find people who work well in groups and you generally stay with them till the end of the degree unless you get put in a group. But always be on the look out for good group workers!

5)

LOL i can't really say, not much really but thats the way ive worked throughout HSC and UNI. I just smash it out in the last days and end up getting good grades, obviously not all the time LOL but i generally do get good marks. But idk how you work so it just depends how you learn/work the best.

Just like HSC, theres no set hours of study for you to get 99 atar. Obviously the more you study the better you get.

I don't hate study, because once you're at uni and you realise youre studying for something youre going to be making money in and want to develop your career in, it becomes more of a hobby then actual study. Obviously this isnt the case before an exam but you get my point.

I'm just below distinction average atm ... i think LOL

Yea its helps to be logical in this degree :)

daniboy232

HSC
Uni Grad
Question 3

I'm planning to do construction management fast track diploma since i reckon wont get 64-68 and im just wondering is the fast track diploma course guarantee spot in 2nd year B of constr mgt.

Answer 3

I know someone who got 55 atar and got into construction project management at UWS (which was 70 at the time).
If you don't think you can get 55 atar then, doing the diploma is a good idea, generally it will guarantee (from what i remember) but give them a call and see what they say.

daniboy232

HSC
Uni Grad
Question 5

Does anyone know why the demand for construction project management at UTS is much higher than UNSW ?

Answer 5

I may be biased, but either way i choose UTS for CPM.
Doing it right now - in my third year.

UNSW course isnt that good from what ive heard.
Generally the faculty is better e.g. modern / new facilities
UTS > UNSW > UWSin job choice. Its easier to get a job at UTS than UNSW
It right next to frikkin central compared to randwick which is a B***H to get to.
The city is all around you.

antounbros

HSC
oh perfect ! thanks for the replies :D

My final question on the website of uts, for bachelor construction project management, it says you can become a qualified property developer as well

After your degree, are you qualified as one, or do you need to undertake extra courses or industry hours to receive the qualification ?

Thanks !

antounbros

HSC
and one more thing, who actually thinks there going to reach the atar cut off HAHA ?

its become a 90.9 now :/

UWS here we come :(:(:(

daniboy232

HSC
Uni Grad
oh perfect ! thanks for the replies :D

My final question on the website of uts, for bachelor construction project management, it says you can become a qualified property developer as well

After your degree, are you qualified as one, or do you need to undertake extra courses or industry hours to receive the qualification ?

Thanks !
Never heard anything about that but........ Im pretty certain you don't need 'qualifications' to become a property developer. Its just something you can do since after doing the course you should understand construction

If anyone else could add in on this that would be good ... I may be wrong

_Josh_

HSC
Hey man, Question here.

Do you have a course outline in more detail then the website shows? Possibly entering into CPM and would like to know the general outline of what I'm going to need to know.

daniboy232

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Josh,

Not sure exactly what you mean by more detail? You need to be specific in what you want to know.

Pretty much all the information you want to find / need is in here:
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/courses/c10214.html

And if you want to know more about each individual subject, just click on it and then click 'detailed subject description'

Ask less vague questions and ill try to answer them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)