Engineering Work Experience (1 Viewer)

LandCo

HSC
N/A
hey, just wondering; how long is the 'Engineering Work Experience' course?
in mq its 60 days.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
In the course with the diploma in engineering practice there are two 6 month blocks.

If you are an international student or doing a combined degree the diploma is optional, in which case you'd only have the 60 days.

The 60 days is mandated by Engineers Australia afaik, all accredited courses will have that as a minimum.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
in mq its 60 days.
I think what you are talking about is that every engineering student have to do an internship in a company in relativity to their fields, this is mandatory and compulsory from Engineer Australia. Not only MQ dose it every Uni offering Engineering have it.

In UTS they make you do 1 year internship but you can split into 2 session's, So in the 2nd year you have to a semester doing your internship while in Year 4 you do the other half. Its real name is "Engineering Professional Experience"

D94

HSC
N/A
in mq its 60 days.
There's no course. It's a requirement to obtained an accredited engineering degree.

rajesh_rc47

HSC
Is internship is compulsory for UTS engineering??
If yes..
student should search for or UTS provides??
Does it need to pay tuition fees to college while doing internships in third semester??

D94

HSC
N/A
Is internship is compulsory for UTS engineering??
UTS has two six month placements which are compulsory for the Diploma. But more broadly, students must complete at least 60 days of relevant work placement to obtain an accredited engineering degree as per the requirements of Engineers Australia.
If yes..
student should search for or UTS provides??
You must find your own work.

D94

HSC
N/A
Then what is the total duration including these internships?
It appears there is now an option to complete an engineering degree without the diploma. That must be something new (unless someone from UTS can say otherwise) since when I did my research for universities in 2011, I don't recall that being there. The 2 six month placements are for the diploma, hence they add a year to a typical 4 year engineering degree.

Given that info, the BE(Honours) is 4 years, and the BE(Honours)+Diploma is 5 years.

LandCo

HSC
N/A
So for computer engineering @ UNSW? What do they offer? The same as MQ?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
What's the difference between them??
There's been some changes to the course recently, i.e. comes with honours (previously you needed a certain WAM to be awarded honours, ~67 for second class I think) and the engineering experience subjects are worth credit points (have to pay to do internships, dont know if they changed the "subject" itself though)

International students have always been able to do a BE without the engineering practice program, but local students couldn't. But that could have changed with the other changes - not sure.

So for computer engineering @ UNSW? What do they offer? The same as MQ?
Yep, but UNSW introduced a generic "Industry Practice" program or something a couple of years ago that anyone can do. Adds a year on to your degree and the structure seems kind of similar to the engineering practice program at UTS - only it's not tailored to specific courses afaik.

Last edited:

LandCo

HSC
N/A
Hmm, okay; now im tossing between UTS and UNSW hehe.
Which would you recommend?

D94

HSC
N/A
There's been some changes to the course recently, i.e. comes with honours (previously you needed a certain WAM to be awarded honours, ~67 for second class I think)
Yeah, UNSW is introducing something similar for students starting next year. Still based on WAM though.

Yep, but UNSW introduced a generic "Industry Practice" program or something a couple of years ago that anyone can do. Adds a year on to your degree and the structure seems kind of similar to the engineering practice program at UTS - only it's not tailored to specific courses afaik.
Well that's not very relevant - I don't think LandCo was asking for a comparable Diploma at UNSW. It's not required for computer engineering or engineering in general at UNSW. It's a completely separate Diploma that you can undertake alongside any degree. Should have no bearing on LandCo's decision.

rajesh_rc47

HSC
UTS information

Anyone doing software engineering @ UTS??
I want some information..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)