What is communication degrees like at UTS and is there a high employability rate? (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
I'm still figruing out whether communications is for me. I was interested in maybe writing, journalism or media but I keep hearing the stories of journalism as a dead end industry. I was thinking of studying Law and Communications but would like some feedback from other students.
I'm not entirely sure which communications degree is for me but I'm probably leaning towards writing. I'm not sure what public communication is though and what PR is exactly.
I've also heard that you can't really choose electives if you do double degree. Because if I was studying say journalism and law, I would be interested in taking some social inquiry, media and production electives but I'm not sure how it works.
Also, what types of personality and skills really fit well in a communications degree?
I enjoy humanities like history, sociology, languages etc. and am unsure what my career path is but law and communications are two areas which I feel have some sort o job description at the end unlike a bachelor of arts which is very broad, and most arts/ law students are reliant more on their law degree than arts degree to find a job. Thanks

kanjk

I hate reality
HSC
I was in a similar boat as you a while ago. Doing a degree which was considered to be 'dead end'. I did free internships every summer, volunteered a ton and generally worked a lot in my field. It took me a while, but i found a job in my field. Tbh all university degrees besides maybe engineering or medicine are kind of 'dead'. Doing nothing for 3-5 years then graduating won't get you a job. Basically just find internships and work in your field - do anything. When you graduate, you will find a job - no matter the field you studied in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)