Student Life and FUN (1 Viewer)

pawpawointment

HSC
Hey, I'm currently debating whether to go to Wollongong Uni or UTS. I like both uni's but really like the course im looking at UTS. Student life is quite important to me I like to have a good time and gain social opportunities during my time at uni. So far, the student life at wollonong seems great! However, im sceptical about UTS. From my visits it looks very focused on academics and less on social experiences. Please let me know your thoughts thanks

Silly Sausage

HSC
I would pick whichever is the most convenient and relevant to your interests, since social life is pretty much whatever you make it out to be.

Tomk23

HSC
Uni Grad
UTS does not really have a campus. It is just consist of few buildings that scatered across the city. There is not much social life in UTS

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
UTS does not really have a campus. It is just consist of few buildings that scatered across the city. There is not much social life in UTS
Don't have the wrong image of "scattered across the city", the buildings are actually in very close proximity to each other.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
At UTS the social life really is what you make of it. There are plenty of places to hang out and meet people but you've got to go out there and make an effort to talk to them. If you're on the shyer side and are less confident about approaching random strangers, the clubs / societies are a good way to meet people. Since a lot of your friends are gonna be on different timetables to you, joining a society that has regularly scheduled activities is a good way to form and maintain a consistent friend group.

And BlueGas is right. The buildings aren't 'scattered across the city' at all. Most of them are centred around the alumni green and/or nearby it. The only ones that are far off are the business/law buildings which consists of the new one (mostly for post-grads) and building 5 which is subdivided into several sections that surround a couple small courtyards.

If you plan to spend a lot of time on campus, UTS has a lot of indoor places to chill with friends too, which can be a bit of a relief when it's cold and rainy. The downside to its city-centre position, however, is that there isn't much grass. No big sprawling grassy areas. Just the smallish strip of the alumni green that on nice days has beach chairs and stuff put out on it. Also, unless you're in business or law, since all the buildings are close together there's no big hike between buildings to get from lecture to class.
I actually prefer less grassy areas, it gives more of that 'city' feel which I like.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
This is very misleading. I only went to UTS for 2 semesters but everything is quite centralised and there is a thriving social life for those willing to get involved.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
UOW definitely has alot more going on it towards the social scene, but it does have a certain flavour (drinking parties etc..) , UTS is more spread but not as active. That said I would rather choose a course I enjoy more, because you'll be spending a minimum 3 years in that course (plus money) so you might as well enjoy it. Not to mention if you go UTS you can always drop in to other uni parties (mainly USYD parties)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)