Bachelor of science in information technology (1 Viewer)

freshoffthehsc

HSC
N/A
Hi, I finished HSC in 2016 and took half a gap year, looking to study Bachelor of science in information technology (with the compulsory diploma) at UTS in semester 2.
I got an ATAR of 86, what is my chance of getting in?

Also, is this degree intense in terms of workload and difficulty? how many days and hours per day would be spent at uni (I'm open to everyone's personal experience for this)? Is it a lot like HSC IPT?
My friends at UNSW computer science say they're dying from the workload and difficulty and I really do not want to be in that situation - not because I'm lazy but I've had a shit tonne of issues to deal with (hence why I took half gap year, still dealing with them) and I cannot handle 4 or more full days at uni.

Thanks a lot.

maki

HSC
Hi, I finished HSC in 2016 and took half a gap year, looking to study Bachelor of science in information technology (with the compulsory diploma) at UTS in semester 2.
I got an ATAR of 86, what is my chance of getting in?

Also, is this degree intense in terms of workload and difficulty? how many days and hours per day would be spent at uni (I'm open to everyone's personal experience for this)? Is it a lot like HSC IPT?
My friends at UNSW computer science say they're dying from the workload and difficulty and I really do not want to be in that situation - not because I'm lazy but I've had a shit tonne of issues to deal with (hence why I took half gap year, still dealing with them) and I cannot handle 4 or more full days at uni.

Thanks a lot.
An ATAR of 86 should do the trick, especially considering bonus points. My perspective is coming from a first year, first semester student. The workload is pretty damn light to be quite honest, well, lighter than I expected it to be. The compsci guys are doing much more complex shit versus us at the moment to be honest. You will definitely be learning some technical stuff but it's not at all complex technical stuff. You'll be learning Java and learning how to use Linux and how basic web systems work (there's also some light computer science stuff). The HSC IPT bullcrap comes in Info Systems, but it's not a difficult subject at all.

I spend maybe 2 "full" (7-ish hours?) days at uni. Three if you count one class in the arvo (my commute is an hour and a half one way). It's not too bad, however I scheduled a lot of my classes to be compacted into 3 days and end a lot of the time in the evening (on Mondays I get home at 10:30, leaving for uni at 1:30pm). It's not too bad to be honest, it's just that if you don't keep up to date, it'll be a pain to catch up.

Once again, I am a first year, first sem student. I do not represent the entire course.

Last edited:

freshoffthehsc

HSC
N/A
Thank you very much for the detail response! What if I don't get bonus points, will my pure 86 ATAR do?

Lethal Toxin

HSC
Yeah you can get in easily, i had 80 ATAR and got in no problem.

In fact the cut off was actually higher than my ATAR yet i still got an offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)