Double degree or degree + diploma? (1 Viewer)

Shuurai

HSC
N/A
Hey everyone, I'm currently doing Law and want to do a language (Japanese or maybe Spanish) as well. I'm not sure if I should pick up International Studies or a Diploma in Languages. Is there a huge difference in the workload? I'm not currently thinking of combining the two in terms of work later down the track, but I'll take the option if I have it. I'm a CSP student so no need to worry about fees yet (I think), but just for anyone else who has the same question, which one is cheaper?

Dilara98

HSC
N/A
Might not be very helpful but I heard that diplomas mean a lot more for employers because it demonstrates that you have a valuable skill. So a diploma in languages with your chosen language reveals you have a valuable language skill in either Spanish or Japanese. I plan on taking mandarin because it’s in high demand from employers.

Magician960

HSC
Hi, I'll be undertaking a double degree in business and international studies at UTS starting next year so I can provide help here.

Double Degree
  • Will add a couple of years to your studies.
  • Will require you to take mandatory international studies units which you probs won't be interested in.
  • Requires study of a language to the same extent of that of a diploma of lang.
  • Also includes mandatory one year exchange at a partner university.
  • Will probably reduce your total workload compared to doing straight law, as most likely your timetable will involve several law and language units than doing all law. (That said, it depends on how well you can learn languages :p)

Degree + Diploma
  • Will only require 3 years part-time on top of your degree
  • You will have a increased workload than normal, doing normal full time law studies as well as a language unit per session
  • This option would cost less overall due to no bloating with random int. studies units and no mandatory exchange.

Overall, I can only recommend you take the double degree in international studies if you want to go on exchange, because that is its main selling point. All other cases, the diploma would be enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)