Diploma of languages (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am interested in taking a diploma of languages in Japanese, I am also a first year student studying a business and law degree. My question is, will the language I choose in my diploma affect my employability in the future?, if so, what other language would I be better off doing with my double degree. Also, how do I apply for the diploma and does it start this autumn session?

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Do you want to do Japanese over other languages? If so, do Japanese. Languages require motivation, and if you are just seeking to become more 'employable' you will not reach a high standard. Weak motives don't last long in language learning. You may want to consider exchange / residencies, like what country you'd be okay living in for 3 weeks to 6 months.

If you are after $$$ and jobs, some would say Mandarin. Understandable, but Japan is still a close friend and ally to Australia, has a population of 125+ million, and wields a certain amount of power when it comes to business. It may not be the ~rising power~ China is, but when it comes to a diploma of languages and you are a first year, you do get to pick.

I suggest before you walk into your first Japanese class, you do some research on the language- even if its just learning basic phases. I'm doing Russian at Macquarie, and last year I was so unprepared. I've improved much better now, but a Diploma of Languages are a commitment. I wonder how UTS are at languages, esp Japanese.

You said you were doing business / law. What areas of business interest you? Do you see yourself having a global career? Want to practice law? If so, whereabouts in the world?

HSC
Do you want to do Japanese over other languages? If so, do Japanese. Languages require motivation, and if you are just seeking to become more 'employable' you will not reach a high standard. Weak motives don't last long in language learning. You may want to consider exchange / residencies, like what country you'd be okay living in for 3 weeks to 6 months.

If you are after $$$ and jobs, some would say Mandarin. Understandable, but Japan is still a close friend and ally to Australia, has a population of 125+ million, and wields a certain amount of power when it comes to business. It may not be the ~rising power~ China is, but when it comes to a diploma of languages and you are a first year, you do get to pick.

I suggest before you walk into your first Japanese class, you do some research on the language- even if its just learning basic phases. I'm doing Russian at Macquarie, and last year I was so unprepared. I've improved much better now, but a Diploma of Languages are a commitment. I wonder how UTS are at languages, esp Japanese.

You said you were doing business / law. What areas of business interest you? Do you see yourself having a global career? Want to practice law? If so, whereabouts in the world?

Thank you for your detailed reply. I'm unsure of where I want to work as of now but ultimate goal would be to work for the UN

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
You're welcome. The UN is pretty wide and diverse with locations all around the world (in particular, Europe). Looking at many of their job ads, they tend to want at least 2 years of work experience. So you'll have to build up experience, which is a bit scary but you can use that time working to continue your language learning. But keep in mind, the UN is an environment with multiple languages. So Japanese is fine.

Really- any modern language is fine. I think it's great you want to learn Japanese. The languages of the UN courts are English and French. So if you decide to learn another language: look at where the UN is currently conducting research (I know Georgian and Russian are wanted in the ICC) or one of the 6 'offical languages' (besides Russian, English and French: Spanish, Arabic and Mandarin)

A side comment: You may be considering interning at the UN. Please do research on how other intern's experiences are, because an internship at the UN does not guarantee a job. What would look favourable in your eventual application to a UN job- is extensive legal training and experience, language skills, great references, ability to conduct sophisticated research, etc. The UN won't be your first job out of university, but it can still play a role in your career if you play the right cards.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)