orientation week... (1 Viewer)

*Erika*

HSC
is it just me, or does UTS not have much on for orientation week as say, UNSW or USYD? Like, less social events/less interesting or exciting things to do and opportunities to get to know some people and the people in your faculty and courses...

all seems very boring..

i understand i'm not going to uni just for fun, but i would have at least like to have been able to have a chat to some people in a more relaxed environment on more than just one saturday afternoon thing with limited entertainment...

the whole student union seems a bit dead, but that was addressed in a another thread....

i'm starting at a uni where i know noone at all, and i would really have liked to have used orientation to get to know people...not in lectures or in talks about study tactics and managing stress...

or am i just missing something?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
yo erika , i dontknow if this is partof the orientation week, but some faculties hold camps to get to know people. i am doing Bbusiness/Bcomputing and going to a camp with all the IT students. so thats somethingsocial

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
i hope erika isnt right about uts being boring, cause i also will probably not know anyone there either, which makes it even more boring. aww well. :confused:

Last edited:

*Erika*

HSC
i hope i'm not right either hun, tonight i have almost talked myself out of going there...and just trying for late round arts at usyd or unsw...

everyone seemed uptight there at advisory day, and i'm such an easy going person, i dunoo if its right for me...i love the course, but if i'm not gonna be happy there, then what's the point...

and yeah i dunoo that arts does these camps n stuff, but if they do, then that'd be awesome... :)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
It's true that UTS don't organise as many activities as other unis, but then again we have a number of orientation camps for different faculties that other unis don't (which the uni usually pays for half of it).

The main day of the orientation week is on the Wednesday (23rd), which is O-Day. This is where all the clubs and societies will be available with their stalls and you can sign up. There's also heaps of free stuff to collect, so its a good day to come along too. Besides that, they don't have much else on during that week. If you don't have an orientation camp, then usually you have a faculty welcome during o-week as well, otherwise your faculty welcome is at camp.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Dingo2004 said:
all unis r boring..
u go uni to goto class
after that u juts go home ...

blahhh

Well then you're not very social are you!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Don't sweat about meeting people. I moved to Sydney and did not know a single person. Now I can't count all the people I know and get along well with. Just sit next to people in lectures, introduce yourself.... in tutes they always get you to introduce yourself etc... don't be shy because most people are in the same situation. In your tutes (which are smallish groups) you often have to do group work and that is how you really get to know people and make friends.

If I survived... overweight, country bumpkin, bad sense of humor, absolutely clueless about anything cosmopolitan... you will all be fine.

And yeah, our O week is kinda povvy compared to O week at other unis. Go to O Day, go to your faculty welcome... sit next to strangers and talk to them, introduce yourself etc. If you are feeling a bit shy on O Day take a friend along even if they don't go to UTS....

You will all be fine. UTS is cool. And UTS is really laid back... people probably seemed uptight on advisory day because they were stressed/nervous/shy/didn't know anyone/hot/cold/hungry/overwhelmed by the greatness of UTS.... basically most people are in the same boat....

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
NMH has a faculty welcome on the 17th at kuring gai

:( no camp!

IamaFloorMat

HSC
N/A
As long as UTS has a gym and keeps that gym and i will be able to use that gym

i will be happy

mjlucas

HSC
IamaFloorMat said:
As long as UTS has a gym and keeps that gym and i will be able to use that gym

i will be happy
The new gym is much better than the old one. They are still building parts of it, however there is plently of machines, free weights, cardio and clases.

The gym is also very cheap. $80 for 3 months (compared to $300-400/6 months that some inner-city gyms charge)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)