First-year IT Camp 2005 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I have a friend starting the BScIT/Dip program this year, and need to convince him to attend the camp.

Does anyone feel like providing a brief rundown of what goes on? :)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Oh no, go ahead :p I'm just busy organising stuff at the moment. I'll be free later.

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
start.it.uts.edu.au

Lazarus said:
I have a friend starting the BScIT/Dip program this year, and need to convince him to attend the camp.
The camp website has a lot of information on it.
http://start.it.uts.edu.au/camp/

start.it.uts.edu.au said:
Is it necessary for me to attend?
Yes. All information technology students who are studying full-time and who have just left school must attend the orientation camp, and it forms part of your first-year studies. Attendance is optional for part-time students and non-recent school leavers.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
it is very important to go to the camp. It took me ages to convince my parents to let me go to the camp. Two of the reasons it was great were:

- i knew people from BOS going to camp :p
- i familiarised myself with other students as well as staff. It was a big help cos when uni classes started i wasnt scared and saw more than enough familiar faces.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Donshe said:
Uh I wouldnt go to something called an "IT Camp"

But it says its compulsory??
Its called an IT camp cos its held by the Faculty of IT for the new IT students.
Camp is compulsory for recent school leavers while optional for non-recent leavers.
If you are a recent school leaver and you do not plan to go, you must write to the Dean of FIT to present your reasons of not going.
Go for the sake of freebies :p....we've got a lot of nice stuff from sponsors, up for grabs at an auction (obviously a fake one). Trust me you wont regret going as when you start your semester you will have people to hang around with!

Last edited:
S

Shuter

God damnit I got late round so I know nothing about this camp, is it too late now?

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Shuter said:
God damnit I got late round so I know nothing about this camp, is it too late now?
may be jasee can answer that. I suggest you call in FIT tomorrow and talk to the major camp organisers/the staff.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Thanks for the input.

I was pretty taken aback when I read this -

CAMP GUIDELINES
No alcohol or illegal drugs are permitted.
There's no alcohol? Like... at all?

I think I'd just assumed that UTS camps would be similar to UNSW camps... with vast volumes of society-subsidised alcomohol.

Not the case?

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Just brushing up on what Sana said the IT camp is critical for first years in that you form a group of friends before day one of uni. Personally my adjustment to uni was alot easier with friends already sorted out before I got there. I had time then to fully comprehend the subjects themselves.

Besides come, because Myself, Sana and Jase are going to be there :D

IronMike

HSC
N/A
Lazarus said:
Thanks for the input.

I was pretty taken aback when I read this -

There's no alcohol? Like... at all?

I think I'd just assumed that UTS camps would be similar to UNSW camps... with vast volumes of society-subsidised alcomohol.

Not the case?

lol. I've had alcohol @ last year's camp. lol.
Shared a bottle of JD between three of us. I got quite tipsy afterwards.
Camp supervisors saw me and knew I was tipsy but didnt care.
And I know for sure SOME ( I Stress the word SOME) of those 2nd year yellow shirt leaders had a piss up on the last night as well.
I thought the camp was pretty good. Met some good mates.
Hope all of you's go to it. It's great.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Beaky said:
Just brushing up on what Sana said the IT camp is critical for first years in that you form a group of friends before day one of uni. Personally my adjustment to uni was alot easier with friends already sorted out before I got there. I had time then to fully comprehend the subjects themselves.

Besides come, because Myself, Sana and Jase are going to be there :D
They dont know I'm Sana and ur Colin ;). Me going to camp? Im not 100% sure myself...I'm a yellow shirt and I am helping out but I still have to decide whether I'll go or not. I'm sure its going to be great both for first years and the yellow shirts (we gad a ball at the enrollment! Jase dont u agree?)

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Not sure about gad, but I know we had :p. Yes come along to camp. Register by Monday 7th Feb.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
lil_star said:
They dont know I'm Sana and ur Colin ;). Me going to camp? Im not 100% sure myself...I'm a yellow shirt and I am helping out but I still have to decide whether I'll go or not. I'm sure its going to be great both for first years and the yellow shirts (we gad a ball at the enrollment! Jase dont u agree?)
haha i forgot about the whole faceless commuication on BOS :p

You gotta come! It just wont be the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)