1st Internship (1 Viewer)

Timmay

HSC
Hey, im starting second year this year doing EPP1 this semester (autumn) and ive been considering whether i should do the internship 2nd semester this year or 1st semester in my 3rd year, i've got a pretty awesome timetable lined up for spring this year and i think that i'd be better off doing the internship with some more subjects under my belt and im doing a 6 year course so its not leaving it too late. on the other hand will it make a difference in the internship by doing more subjects (i.e. is it generally just doing coffee runs and shredding/photocopying paper?) and also i'd like to have some money this year so i can quit my part time job.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has done their internship (especially if its civil and enviro) and what did and what they would recommend i do, thanks

Logistics

HSC
I don't think you can do the Internship in the 3rd year.

You can't have more than 48 (I think this many) credit points for your first Internship. OR something along those lines.

Internship is generaly done in the 3rd or 4th semester.

L

lucky

Timmay,

take into account that you WILL fail a few subjects in ur uni life.. so preparing an awesome timetable is not really useful..

also.. dont decide if you should do ur intern this semester or the other.. find one first! sometimes you wont find one and u will be forced back to study. You should try ASAP (ie the semester after u completed EPP1) so you have a better chance of finding a decent internship.. but u are doing civil and enviro (im assuming).. so it should be quite easy to find an intern newyas..

good luck.. :)

Logistics

HSC
I agree with winding an Internship. I have looked for 6 months and haven't found one yet :( I'll have to find one for Spring semester.

It's hard to find something you like, a lot of people don't care what they do as long as they get an Internship, I on the other hand don't want that, maybe that's why I haven't found an internship yet

MoNNiE

HSC
Timmay,

Excellent you have decided to do EPP1 this upcoming semester, as long as you get this over and done with, you will be able to do your internship anytime.

However it is advisable NOT to take the internship too late in your course, reason being is that the first internship is meant to be a test taster of what it is like to work in a "professional environment" even if you only end up photocopying plans, manual labour or word processing. ITS usually ASSUMED YOU DON'T KNOW MUCH! -- You are there to see, touch and feel engineering in practice. Though it may be good to get a few subjects under your belt, but it'll only do so much for you.

Basically after you complete the first internship you should be able to draw upon your experience in the work place to help with your future studies.

My option is to try and find work placement for the upcoming semester in which you complete EPP1. Then after you have finished your first internship delay your second one until nearing the end of your degree (if you do this there maybe a chance for you to get a job out of it when you finish your internship -- )

Don’t try and quit your part time job, you may find the pay abit crap! But it depends who you work for :)

On a lighter note getting a job in the civil and enviro sector is usually abundant

Best of Luck :D

Logistics

HSC
Not to bring the guy down or anything but while they say "...ITS usually ASSUMED YOU DON'T KNOW MUCH!..."

When you want to apply for your Internship through i2ms there's always these technical things they want you to have, it's shithouse :( at least it's with me and software engineering

MoNNiE

HSC
yes, Logistics has a point there i sort of over looked that point :/

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
Logistics said:
I don't think you can do the Internship in the 3rd year.

You can't have more than 48 (I think this many) credit points for your first Internship. OR something along those lines.

Internship is generaly done in the 3rd or 4th semester.
actually my friends are going into 3rd yr this yr and still doing more subjects...>.<...they shud be doing internships now

Static

HSC
Just finished my first internship (2nd semester, 2nd year). It was a bloody awesome experience (doing BE Civil). I had my own massive desk, phone, computer and internet. It was a medium sized office (only 30 staff in office) 500 employees world wide, so I got to work in a good sized company, which was small enough to get to know everyone. So I was dealing with engineers, managers, directors, and labourers. I had a lot of responsibilities (way more then I expected) and they trusted I did things right. A lot of it was quality control and cost estimation for jobs.

I did a lot of site inspections (3-4 hrs on construction site) and the engineers after a bit of trainning trusted me to mark up all the problems to tell the builder to fix/ or otherwise sign it was safe to go on to the next level or pour the current slab. In the office I had to check theoretical values of stresses (which I calculated) to actual ones measured by foremen on site, often (daily basis) a whole team of guys would be waiting for my certifcate to say it was safe. I also made a few programs for the draftsmen using excel and visual basic.

Everyone I dealt with outside the company, on the phone or on site assumed I was a qualified engineer (which was funny the first few months).

The bitchiest work I did was getting the beers which was good anyway, free premium beer most days of the week.

Logistics

HSC
That's awsome Static. Glad you enjoyed it.

That's the type of excitment I'm looking for while searching for an Internship. After all it's why I'm at UTS.

I know how you feel, I have worked as a software developer before UNI, my own office, friendly ppl, dealing with everyone. It was great :D
And I want the same for my Internship hehe

Logistics

HSC
I was told for Spring semester there's ment to be more jobs on I2MS

However this has not been the case, so far <10 offerings and only 4 are still open. The other 6 closed a week after even though the closing day is June.

I don't have the time to hunt for jobs on my own :(

This sux

ioniser

HSC
I'm a first year and I'm doing eep1 next semester does that mean i do my first internship next year in 3rd semester .Also so you guys are saying it would be wise to start hunting for an internship in the summer break

Logistics

HSC
Can do your internship when ever you want after you do EPP1.

Finding an Internship isn't easy (well depends on your major) so you should start looking early.

rockets

HSC
N/A
Anyone got an offer for an internship in spring?? If so, where are u working and when do u start?

dddman

Banned
HSC
have u asked like the major companie that do software creation, like myob and all that. also did u do all 3 programing subjects??

Logistics

HSC
I haven't asked anyone, I just don't seem to find the time to look on my own, plus I find it weird lol (bad i know) and depending on I2MS atm.

They put up jobs on I2MS, its just that nothing interest me what they have to offer :(

I'd say I have a better chance then most students in my degree I'd say because I have completed Software Development with Disctions (neeerd lol) at TAFE

Plus hey, if I get desperate I think I can get exempted from the Internship because I have worked as a software developer for a company from year 11 or 12 up untill I finished TAFE :)

dddman

Banned
HSC
well the attitude at the engineering sector for graduates is generally starting to change where they dont wanna hire students that ace their degrees as they regard them as nerds lol, their changing to personality preferred then grades preferred as u rather have a normal engineer that's a top block rather than a kid to aces everything and is a total arsehole (UNSW example)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)